SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#134458 - 04/21/02 01:34 PM Opinions on Roland VA 76
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm interested in knowing more about the
VA 76 from those that own one or have tried one. I was wondering how good the sounds are and styles. In comparing the PSR 9000 to it or the PA 80. There isn't any in my area, so I would have to order from the net sight unseen, so I will base my decision on the comments stated here, since there seems to be little info about it even from the roland sites.

#134459 - 04/21/02 02:55 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I recently had the opportunity to play the VA76. I was not impressed. The Variphase is a nice toy but I can not see a use for it when playing live, and its quality is questionable. As a former G1000 owner the VA76 is an extention of that technology with a few more bells ad whistles. If you were thrilled with the G1000 then you will like the VA76.
If I had to rank the present crop of arranger KB's I have played it would be:
#1 Ketron SD1..fun to play/Great Styles & Sounds (This is my current KB)
#2 Yamaha 9000 Pro..Same as above/Styles not as good but a terrific KB
#3 VA76..Nothing to get excited about.
#4 PA80..More complex Styles/Great synth sounds/Keyboard feel very "inexpensive"
This is one man's oppinion!!! I have played them all (owned the PA80).

#134460 - 04/21/02 03:24 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Jodasi go for the VA 76.
Its the best keyboard I ever played.
Tons of sounds, good styles, very easy to use sequencer and very versatile, you can play any kind of music with it. Has 76 semi-waighted keys that feels great. The Yamaha 9000 has cheep keys and so the PA80(only 61k). If you are looking for a great studio keyboard go for the VA76, seams though that for live use the touch screen is a cons while for studio use the touch screen makes everything easyier. Good luck,

Maximo

#134461 - 04/21/02 04:40 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
There are many opinions here, that's for sure!
I own a music store in California and I carry all these arranger keyboards we discuss.
My opinion of the VA76's variphrase is totally different then JCKEYS opinion.
With the ability to use the variphrase as a voice in the left hand, you can play a style in fingered chord mode and add the real vocal sample from the variphase in perfect sync with your three fingered chords you play. A great example I use all the time at my store is going to the music assistant and calling up the song O Sole Mio. In this example they have a nice rhythm being enhanced with the variphrase, using a vocal phrase that works great with the tune. The right hand is using a fast picked mandolin sound that works well with the style. With the VA76 and the VA7version2, using the vocal samples on the left hand really works well with this keyboard. The original VA7 only played the vocal phrase on the right hand, not allowing you to use these good backing samples where they should have been used in the left hand.
I also think the 3600 sounds are great on this keyboard and disagree that it is only slightly better than the G1000. The 800 or so new sounds from the latest Roland Pro keyboards are really great and very realistic and I like the Roland Piano better than most arranger pianos.
The styles are not as musically exciting as say the Korg PA80 or Ketron SD1, but many of my customers acctually like them better because they can be used more within the context of playing songs sometimes better than the more "exciting" styles. My one complaint is that there are no country styles internal, however there are dozens on the supplied zip disk which includes over 500 additional styles.
Some will argue about liking or disliking the touchscreen. I happen to like it alot and find it very easy to use. The argument on getting around to different parameters is a valid one for many, but for most, the touchscreen works fine.
We are all entitled to our opinions regarding liking and disliking certain models, but I again maintain that being able to talk to a professional salesperson who really knows his or her product, can make all the difference in the world in deciding how good or bad a keyboard may be. I've had so many musicians in the last few weeks come into my store thinking that the VA76 "sucks" because they have seen it at either a Guitar Center or Sam Ash, where not a single salesperson in the store had a clue on how to use or show the VA76. These same potential customers showed up in my store and since I am the "king" of arranger keyboards on the West Coast, their opinions were often changed after an hour with me showing how and what the VA76 can do. Some sales were made that would never have happend based on first impressions at other stores.
I hope I have not offended anyone with my opinion and again opinions are what makes this discussion forum so exciting to us all.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#134462 - 04/21/02 10:14 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I am the "king" of arranger keyboards on the West Coast.

Hail to the King!

#134463 - 04/22/02 12:39 AM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Jodasi...I have a Yamaha 9000Pro ( Plus Roland EM2000 ). Two friends have VA7 & VA76 so I can reply by saying, The VA76 is an excellent board with great sounds and styles. The only fault I find with the touch screen is that it badly needs a screen Page HOLD Button. There are a number of occasions that I have been using the Variphase to find that the page keeps dropping out of this selection. When you are playing you can't keep paging through to return to the Variphase page every time. The construction of the Roland I think is better than the Yamaha.

9000Pro, Again Top notch Panel voices & styles. The MusicDataBase is better than the one on the VA.
I dislike the rubber buttons. Overall I would be happy to have both boards, Its a matter of you spending time with a good pair if headphones on both boards and come to terms which for you is the easier to get round whilst playing. You can't make a bad decision here, you should be happy with either.

Graham UK

#134464 - 04/24/02 08:10 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Actually the VA series keyboards (apart from VA3, that uses different sounds) have the best sounds I've ever heard on arrangers! A friend of mine has just bought the VA7 (he saw mine...) and he is so excited that he is thinking of using VA7 instead of his Triton in the place he works! Its sounds are competitive even when compared to dedicated synths!
And about the touch screen:Either you like or not... But you can get used to it. I'll agree about the page hold button though...

#134465 - 04/25/02 09:40 PM Re: Opinions on Roland VA 76
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I will agree with George K. a 100%. He is certainly more qualified than I to give a more constructive un-biased oppinion!
(George in your heart you know you like the SD1 the best!!!)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online