SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92538 - 04/23/02 09:46 AM Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave L. from Yamaha US just phoned me and said the upgrade chips for the PSR2000 have arrived. They are now putting them into the system.
They are calling my dealer to arrange to send him the chips. I will have to take the keyboard to the store and be without it until they get the upgrade done.
I wouldn't even bother at this point, except I want whoever I sell it to to have the latest OS.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 04-23-2002).]

#92539 - 04/23/02 10:18 AM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Two months too late for me. Too bad too, because I liked a lot of things about the 2000. It may not be the most durable machine out there, but at the very least it would have been an excellent backup to the PA80. No regrets though. Even though it isn't an arranger, I'm lovin' the Motif I replaced it with. If I ever do get a backup arranger, I think it'll be another PA80, since I did so much customizing to it already.

AJ

#92540 - 04/23/02 02:12 PM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, I just got my "follow up" call from yamaha (Steve)to tell me that the updates were in for the 2000. Isn't that funny how timing works out?
I told him my concerns and that I would NOT be a candidate for another toy-box with grown-up sounds again. he was VERY cordial and polite and I am pleased that he remembered to call as promised. I have to keep reminding myself that these psr keyboards are ALL marketed at the home user. The 9kpro was the first real entry into the pro market, but it lost alot of momentum because of the size. There are LOTS of pro's out there in the trenches that will never use anything that large again. It's time the manufacturers realize that, and start studying their demographics.
So - my hat's off to the Yamah USA guys for keeping their word, and trying their best to keep the end user happy. Too bad it's a little too late for some of us. The average psr user will never even miss these new corrections, so everybody wins, I guess.

#92541 - 04/23/02 07:32 PM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Beakybird Offline

OK, so can you freeze just the left voice but not the right voices with the new OTS? I never got a clear answer on that. I'm going to see if my nearest Yamaha tech can put me on his typical 3 week waiting list without me having to leave the keyboard there.

Larry

#92542 - 04/23/02 09:10 PM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, OS version 1.20 will no longer support the ability to freeze just the left voice, because 'all' voice parts are now stored together in the SAME section of 'Memory Contents'. In our older OS version, the left voice is stored separately (with the style parameters) allowing us to freeze 'just' the left voice.

Like you, freezing the just left voice has become a valuable asset (abeit a bug) for me, so I'm trying to decide whether if there are enough other critical bug fixes/enhancements in OS 1.20 to make it worth giving up my keyboard for who knows how long, and also giving up the 'left voice only' freeze function permanently.

Can someone possibly list all the known bug fixes and changes that were implemented in OS version 1.20?

Thanks, - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#92543 - 04/24/02 08:53 AM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
DonM Offline

Scott,
I would bet my last dollar (which is right here in my pocket) that Yamaha will not post anything related to this, because it would encourage people to update their keyboards. Of course, this would cost them money, so I would not hold my breath waiting for them to issue such a list.
You have to be vocal and persistent to get anything from them.
DonM

#92544 - 04/25/02 08:07 AM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
My oh my oh my, the wife is mad. I'm sure THAT has NEVER happened before has it Don? You didn't want to catch any of those muddy tasting bass anyway. You'd just have to clean them.

I agree, whats his name is clueless. I think he gets his jollies by posting such stupid remarks and then watching the replies. I would suggest that we don't give him the satisfaction.

Chill out a little, life is good. You are even going to get the little Yammie fixed. Go play some golf. Come up here and we'll go out on my boat and catch some perch. Life is too short to let clueless people upset us.

Tom

#92545 - 04/25/02 08:47 PM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
Beakybird Offline

For me, it is so invaluable to have the left voice frozen, say on strings, and to be able to change the right voices via OTS.

I am having a great time with the PSR2000. I'm getting a lot of jobs with it, so I'm very very pleased.

I am frustrated about the lack of flash rom because I was hoping that Yamaha would introduce new features with successive updates - not just fix bugs.

I definitely will not update. The ability to freeze just the left voice is too valuable.

Good luck to those who update.

Larry

#92546 - 04/25/02 09:07 PM Re: Squeaky Wheel Finally Gets Oiled
DonM Offline

Larry, it would be nice to have your choice of doing it either way, wouldn't it? Seems as if that would be very simple to do. Too bad it would mean BURNING MORE CHIPS.
I will upgrade mine, because I may sell it to someone who wants the Reg. Memories to retain Fingering Mode settings.
Tom,
Maybe I will come to see you this summer. Isn't that July 2 through 4th?
We use perch for catfish bait down here.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online