SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#134067 - 12/26/04 06:13 PM Frank, need help
Vquestor Offline

Frank, I hope you are enjoying the holidays.
I am still trying to build a complete soundfont and want it to be GM/GS and XG compatible.

The question I have is: do any of the software SF editors like Alive, and players
like livesynth, allow for the Bank select LSB(cc32)? I see that Bank Select MSB(cc00) and Prog.change(preset/patch) are both supported, but in order to make a truly compatible soundfont LSB also needs to be used(XG, etc.).

My second question is:
Do Alive and LiveSynth allow drumkits to be placed in Banks 125,126,127,and 128 with
"percussive pool" SF protocol, or are those
other than in bank 128, relegated to "melodic
pool" only?

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 12-26-2004).]

#134068 - 12/26/04 06:59 PM Re: Frank, need help
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Vquestor, yes LiveSynth Pro and Alive allow you to use Bank 127 to accommodate the Yamaha XG Drumkits and Bank 128 for the GM/GS Drumkits. You just need to ascertain that the styles use the correct Program/Bank Change numbers. You may have to edit the 16256 to Bank 127 in some samplers for this to work. In LiveSynth Pro it will work with 16256.

Furthermore, most other samplers will not let you call up drums from Bank 127, e.g., VSampler. In this instance the solution is to convert the style to GM.

LiveSynth Pro will let you call up instruments from any of the Banks from 1 to 128. In fact, I have added instruments in other Banks, e.g., Pedal Steel which where not available in sYnerGi GS. LiveSynth Pro is fairly good albeit a limited sample player. You need as you already know Alive to edit the sounds. In addition, soundfonts are old technology - but at least you can find ones for free and which sound fairly good.

Thanks for your wish that I enjoy the holidays. Both my wife and I are now moving into our last chapter of our lives with my wife facing a life threatening illness.

I hope this helps.

#134069 - 12/26/04 07:47 PM Re: Frank, need help
Vquestor Offline

Frank, I am very sorry to hear about
your wife's illness. I wish her a complete recovery, and you both, the best.

Thanks for the very helpful information.
It is encouraging news.

I guess I really don't completely understand the concept of "melodic group" and "drum group" used in the soundfont protocol. Will drumkits placed in a designated "melodic group" play properly with regards to exclusive group sounds such as open and closed high hat?
Could you also please elaborate on the XG five digit numbers(16256)corresponding to Bank numbers? (i.e., what are the 5 digits for Banks 125,126,and 128?)

#134070 - 12/26/04 08:14 PM Re: Frank, need help
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Vquestor, yes LiveSynth Pro and Alive allow you to use Bank 127 to accommodate the Yamaha XG Drumkits and Bank 128 for the GM/GS Drumkits. You just need to ascertain that the styles use the correct Program/Bank Change numbers. You may have to edit the 16256 to Bank 127 in some samplers for this to work. In LiveSynth Pro it will work with 16256.

Furthermore, most other samplers will not let you call up drums from Bank 127, e.g., VSampler. In this instance the solution is to convert the style to GM.

LiveSynth Pro will let you call up instruments from any of the Banks from 1 to 128. In fact, I have added instruments in other Banks, e.g., Pedal Steel which where not available in sYnerGi GS. LiveSynth Pro is fairly good albeit a limited sample player. You need as you already know Alive to edit the sounds. In addition, soundfonts are old technology - but at least you can find ones for free and which sound fairly good.

Thanks for your wish that I enjoy the holidays. Both my wife and I are now moving into our last chapter of our lives with my wife facing a life threatening illness.

I hope this helps.

Frank, I to hope and pray thet your wife recovers and mends quickly....may the two of you enjoy each other for another 100 years...
Seasons Best Wishes....

#134071 - 12/27/04 05:12 AM Re: Frank, need help

Vquestor, I am not entirely certain of my numbers but I believe 16256 corresponds to Bank 127. You can check this by looking at the midi part of Yamaha Styles. They often use numbers such as this. As noted previously LiveSynth Pro has no trouble with these bank designations. In general, you do not have to worry to much about the melodic or drum designations with soundfonts. The only area where these things become factors is with samplers that strickly adher to the GM standard (drums on channel 10 and in bank 128), e.g., VSampler, rgc Audio's sfz+, etc.

Vquestor & Tony thanks for your kindness. The good news is that both my wife and I got more out of life then we deserved. In addition to all this we are both mentally challenged and still we survived in this complicated world - by our own means.

#134072 - 12/27/04 02:05 PM Re: Frank, need help
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Frank,
truly sorry to hear about your wife's illness.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#134073 - 12/27/04 02:46 PM Re: Frank, need help
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Frank,
truly sorry to hear about your wife's illness.

best wishes

Rikki

[B]

+1

My best wishes to you and your wife Frank. Thanks for being here. My musical world is so much better for it.

AJ

#134074 - 12/27/04 07:02 PM Re: Frank, need help
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Vquestor, I am not entirely certain of my numbers but I believe 16256 corresponds to Bank 127. You can check this by looking at the midi part of Yamaha Styles. They often use numbers such as this. As noted previously LiveSynth Pro has no trouble with these bank designations. In general, you do not have to worry to much about the melodic or drum designations with soundfonts. The only area where these things become factors is with samplers that strickly adher to the GM standard (drums on channel 10 and in bank 128), e.g., VSampler, rgc Audio's sfz+, etc.

Vquestor & Tony thanks for your kindness. The good news is that both my wife and I got more out of life then we deserved. In addition to all this we are both mentally challenged and still we survived in this complicated world - by our own means.

Thank you very much Frank.
Your contributions to the area of completely software based music performance systems, have been astronomical. I think I speak on behalf of all your fans, when I say, "we really appreciate all you have done, and still need you, so please stick around."

#134075 - 12/27/04 07:09 PM Re: Frank, need help

AJ & Rikki, I greatly appreciate your kindness.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online