SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133985 - 07/29/03 05:38 AM Cost of arranger keyboards!
Arbaz Offline

Hello everybody I would like to know that why the cost of the keyboards in particular are getting higher day by day since electronics themselves are getting cheaper day by day I remember buying a COMPAQ for $5000 with monochrome monitor and now you can get better PC for $500 so why the cost of the musical instruments is rising? I do understand that labor cost has been increased but likewise the electronic hardware prices are getting dirt cheap day by day, memory, ram, flash, circuits, chips, IC’s now about the research and development part none of the manufacturer is doing anything new they are using the same sound engine and processor they were using 5 years ago just adding few new samples, so there is literally no research lets take Korg for example they are using the same sound engine they have been using since introduction of the Triton, now about the hardware part most of stuff is been made in china, or other countries where labor is cheap and they are merely assembling those parts in US ( some are even assembled out of the country) like PSR2000 is made in Malaysia ? I mean what is making them expensive is it because the musicians are charging more for there performances and that’s like supply and demand sort of thing?

#133986 - 07/29/03 06:19 AM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In reality, keyboards, at least those of higher quality, are far less expensive than they were just five years ago. Five years ago, the PSR-5700 sold for $3,200, with an average streete price of $2,500. The keyboards of today are superior in every way, have lots of great features, incredible voices, fabulous styles and many have hard drives. For about $1,200 bucks suggest list price, you can buy a PSR-2100 and have one of the best keyboards on the market today. That's a real bargain.

As for performers getting more for the performances, NAH! In fact, most of us make about the same rate of pay we did 20 years ago, and some actually make less. That's because there are $50 a night DJ's and $75 a night karaoke guys and gals out there who have little or no tallent, and this keeps the rate of pay for real performers just slightly above theirs. When you're playing the nite club circuit and piano bars in this part of the world, you're lucky to get $150 for a four-hour job--and that's if you're realy good.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133987 - 07/29/03 06:55 AM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In reality, some of the new and improved arrangers are being introduced at lower prices than their forerunners. I can't speak for all manufactuers, but take Yamaha for instance: As Gary said, the PSR 5700 came out $3,200 with street price of $2,500.

A couple of years ago, out comes the PSR740 for around $1,400. Granted the board was downsized and lighter (which I think is an advantage), but it had more bells and whistles and sounded every bit as good or better than the 5700.

A year or so later, here comes the PSR2000, a major leap forward in technology at about $2,300. Then the PSR2001 and Tyros, neither of which was priced any higher than the 5700 when it first came out.

Wait a few months after the introduction of most any keyboard and you will start seeing more affordable pricing and some real deals on slightly used models.

Eddie

#133988 - 07/29/03 07:43 AM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think the reduction of prices only applies to some makers.. Take Korg for example. The Triton Classic has been out for some time now and it wasn't too long ago that they started giving $150 cash back and a few extra toys.. The Yamaha EX-5 stayed at $2,000 for the longest time, and then you have places like musicians friend who try to sell the EX-7 for over $1400, and ask over $2,000 for a PSR-8000. I agree that in the past with examples like the 5700 you can see a price drop, but if you really compare the price of keyboards now with the price of the technology that goes in them, some can be considered quite high. Look at Kurzweil.. They're great keyboards and all, but everyone remember that $20,000 K series model???? Sweetwater says they can build the same thing for $14,000 (still way too much money for a keyboard, of course with that model you're also paying for the huge CD collection of Kurzweil sounds, and a fully expanded board).... I think you have to really weigh features against price with the keyboards out today. The PSR-2000/2100 are great keyboards, and they're acoustic sounds are as good if not better than the top end synths. I think the price for them is ALMOST justified. I just can't see why they would add all the bells and whistles and still fall short on the sequencers... Yamaha I think is doing well with their prices now. You can get a Motif from George Kaye for a killer price. Again I think it just depends on the maker. I remember catalogs were selling the Korg N-364 for over $1,000 years after it was out. My Yamaha EX-7 could be bought new off the shelf in a store for $750-$800, but catalogs take advantage of the discontinued item and ask high prices. Some makers even go up in price when a new item is released. When I was going to by a digital multi-track recorder I considered the Zoom MRS-1044 (without CD burner)... It was going for $499.00 for the longest time. When the 1266 was released all the catalogs raised the price of the 1044 up to $599... It went up $100 rather than go down when the new model was released.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133989 - 07/29/03 08:49 AM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
To speak generally, I think prices have stayed about the same, when it comes to high end arrangers (at least on the wholesale side) if not gone up a little with inflation. Unlike consumer goods where you will sell to a vast market, high-end arrangers are sold to a limited group of people. The actual cost to manufacture arranger instrument isn't truly reflected in the cost of the instrument. The majority of cost is reflected in the research and development of the instrument. Those sounds and styles aren't cheap for a manufacture, as well as the actual technology that goes into the instrument. After creating the instrument, they need to re coop the companies investment in the product, so they look at how many units they will sell, and how much marketing cost etc. Then they ad profit to make it worth the expense. Then the company hopes the instrument sells as predicted and isn't a flop. As the mid and low level instruments are normally derived from a instrument that has already re cooped their losses in development, you will find them considerably less expensive.

#133990 - 07/29/03 12:29 PM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
There's still a huge markup on keyboard prices. The 9000 sold for around $5500Can but when it was discontinued, my local dealer got a whole bunch in and was selling them brand new for $2700Can. He's still got one but I can't afford it!

Bryan

#133991 - 07/30/03 09:02 PM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think the new arrangers are wonderful bargains. I have paid more for a vocal harmonizer than the PSR2000 costs.
Just think, you get several DSP processors, vocal harmony, compressor/limiter, sequencer, digital mixer, midi file player, screen with musical score, and many more features. Just try to assemble all those components seperately and see what they cost.
Sure, I wish they were less expensive too, but the companies have to continue research and development so they can sell us a better one next year!
DonM

#133992 - 08/01/03 06:27 AM Re: Cost of arranger keyboards!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
The question is why high end arrangers are more expensive than high end synths by the same company?

I heard that GC and Sam ASH and other larger retailers impose a price cap on the manufacturers. That might explain why high end arrangers are not carried by these companies.

At the same time, high arranger does more. At least the manufacturer should put the highest quality samples in their high arrangers. In the past, they used to put only mediocre samples and STILL sell it for more than the synth itself.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online