SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133480 - 03/22/03 01:39 PM Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I was at at local music store today, and I noticed they had 2 models of the Viscount Digitals. I was very happy to see this and when I sat down to play I was shocked. The model I played was one of their lower models, but one that sells for $999.00 in catalogs, so I at least thought it would sound decent considering how good the Yamaha P-80, and P-120 sound. I can't believe they called the keys on the model I played weighted... I've played many digitals with good weighted keys and these ones just felt like box keys with tighter springs. The action was awful. The other sounds like bass, strings ect were awful too. I then moved over to what is supposed to be Viscounts top digital.. This one had a disk drive, more sounds, I think 8 tracks of recording, and a few other things.. Now this model had a decent set of keys.. They actually felt weighted, and the grand piano was better, but still many of the other sounds weren't good at all. People I honestly think the Yamaha DGX-500 had better sounds than both of the Viscount models I played. I even think the action felt better on the DGX than it did on Viscounts lower model with (so called) weighted keys.. Get this too.. This store is sooooooooooo overpriced.. The owner tried to sell me the lower model, claiming it to be all high and mighty, and even had the nerve to tell me that Viscount is who makes Yamaha's sounds , but what's worse is this SOB had it priced at over #2,000 I think the sticker said $2,200 I almost fell out laughing when he said this "great" price.. He thought I didn't know anything about pianos.. When I told him he was selling that digital for $205.00 over the retail price he wasn't too happy then. Every sound the lower model had, sounded better on my PSR-550... Anyways just wanted to share.. Anyone else play one of these?

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-22-2003).]

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133481 - 03/22/03 02:26 PM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
Dnj Offline

Viscount Allegro

#133482 - 03/22/03 04:11 PM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah, but it has a pretty case! That oughta' be worth something. NAH!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133483 - 03/22/03 04:38 PM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
squeak_D Offline

Maybe you can buy the case and put a better digital in it...

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133484 - 03/22/03 06:25 PM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Squeak,
Want to buy my Y2K ?
e-mail me if you want !
Includes , Cover , Mic , and Survival Kit.
jedi

#133485 - 03/22/03 08:05 PM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
About 6 years ago, the sales rep from then Solton, left the company and started selling Viscount Digital Pianos. I let him talk me into buying a couple of their lower priced pianos. After they arrived I took them out of the box and immediately after trying them I packed them back up, called the Rep, and returned them for credit!
When I was in Italy this past June, I was told by some Generalmusic employees that Viscount was started by one of the family members of the Gallanti family, who own Generalmusic, and are made in the same area as Ketron and Generalmusic in Italy. Viscount was formerly a different Italian keyboard company (can't remember which one right now) and changed it to Viscount upon the sale of the company to this former Generalmusic family member.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#133486 - 03/24/03 07:55 AM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
squeak_D Offline

Thanks for the history on the company..... What did you dislike about the lower models? Was it the keyfeel, sound, or both?

Squeak

#133487 - 03/24/03 08:11 AM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I sold Viscount organs in the mid 70's when I had my music store. Gulbransen was my top line and Viscounts were the cheap stuff. It sounds like some things never change. They made a decent string machine (for its time)back then that I wired into the contacts on my Gulbransen Theatrum. That gave me drawbars and strings. I believe that there were two Galanti brothers. One took GEM and the other Viscount.

Tom

Tom

#133488 - 03/24/03 08:21 AM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I was told the keyboards would have a weighted hammer action and they were not. They were the same touch as on all the lower 76 key and 88 key digital pianos (light weighted action which is like a synth key but with an enclosed key to look like a piano key). Also, the workmanship didn't seem to good. I noticed flaws in the finish and I also found a few cracks in the cabinet of one of the digital pianos.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#133489 - 03/24/03 08:31 AM Re: Viscount Digitals--Was not impressed at all
squeak_D Offline

You're absolutely right about the action George.. The sales rep told me they were fully weighted keys, but after playing the digital, it was obvious that they were actually just box style keys with a synth action. I didn't even take time to look at the cabinet... After playing the thing I just said the heck with it....

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online