SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133421 - 08/01/03 10:50 PM Yamaha PSR-K1 Entertainment Keyboard
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I received my first shipment today of a new keyboard from Yamaha. It is both an arranger keyboard and a Karaoke keyboard but there are some new features I've never seen before.
First, this product is based from the PSR292 or DGX202 platform with the same styles and 6 track sequencer, but Yamaha has added many of the "sweet" voices from the PSR2100 such as "sweet flute", "sweet trumpet", "sweet soprano sax" along with XG and panel voices. The styles have two variations each and when you record you can save your songs to the smart media storage card. If you save your song as a proprietary song the notations won't be viewed but if you save it as a SMF file, you can see the music on the screen. Also, song lyrics from files like tune 1000 can be seen and there is a mic input with digital echo which is on the back so that you can connect the included microphone into this keyboard and Yamaha has included a mic attachment on the left side of the keyboard for easy storage when not using the mic.
Songs can be played back as is or you can choose a style from the 100 in the keyboard and the song takes on the genre of the style, not just the drums but all the accomp. tracks.
There is a brand new feature called "performance assistant" and this is amazing. Now, truly anyone can play music the minute they take this keyboard out of the box. When this feature is turned on and you play a song, any notes you play on the keyboard are correct notes. You can't play a wrong one. If you play single notes, they play correctly to the key of the song, and if you play two or more notes at once you get chord comping styled chords. So, if you play your
chords in a certain style, they play your style but no mater what notes you play you get the correct chords in that key. If you play runs up and down the keyboard, you get beautiful sounding glissandos. Now, if you play a style and play with this performance assitant, you get the same results. A lady walked into my store and saw me playing around and I asked her if she would like to try. She said she didn't know how to play, and I said......"oh yes you do" and she had a great time!
There are stereo RCA outputs unlike most of the lower line of Yamaha keyboards for running into a sound system and still using the built in speakers for monitoring.
USB is provided on the back to transfer songs directly from a PC or MAC.
There is Split keyboard and dual keyboard modes, Registration Memories and a newly designed back lit screen with a slightly different operating system for getting around. I liked it alot. It was much easier to see and understand than previous lower end PSR keyboards. The keys are of course touch sensetive and there is a PC button for easy access.
All in all a great new product with a Retail Price of $599.00 or a little more with a value pack and a street price of around $419.00 with the value pak.
I can't wait to get back in the store Saturday Morning to play with this keyboard all day.
If only it had a vocal harmonizer......but it's got a ton of stuff for the price.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#133422 - 08/02/03 06:47 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-K1 Entertainment Keyboard
Dnj Offline

#133423 - 08/02/03 07:12 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-K1 Entertainment Keyboard
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Good review George That new feature that allows you to play anything and hit the right note was on an old Suzuki keyboard way back in 1995. It was the coolest thing too. They called it AIN (artificial intelligent note) To date I can not remember the model number on this Suzuki. It was a really cool model too..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133424 - 08/02/03 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-K1 Entertainment Keyboard
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My first thought is: a lot of people already think that the keyboard does everything and I'm "not really playing" (until I prove otherwise). While this new keyboard may well get new people interested in keyboards, is it a good thing to make it too easy to play? Maybe I don't understand all that it does. . .
DonM

#133425 - 08/02/03 09:32 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-K1 Entertainment Keyboard
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
What's next? Will there be a PSR-K2 that will have a VH function that makes it impossible to sing a wrong note?

Perhaps a future PSR-Kxx will load itself into your vehicle, set itself up on stage and dissamble itself at the end of a gig.

But, what I am waiting for is the PSR that will do all the above, play and sing, and bring the check home when it is done.

Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online