SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133289 - 05/11/07 10:56 AM Equipment help..
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
At one of my house jobs, I want to change things up. I am planning to use a Hammond XB-2 on the bottom (left-handed bass), an SD-5 in the middle and a Korg Micro on the top. I'm adding a melodica and a Steinberger guitar for solos with the riff feature on the SD-5 (to minimise boredom). I want to have a keyboard on my right hand....like I do with a B and a Rhodes at another house job.

61 notes are fine. Keys do not need to be weighted. Mostly concerned with a good acoustic piano, electric piano and vibes.
Since I will occasionally take either the Hammond or the SD-5 and this yet to be chosen instrument out for "one nighters", I'd like it to be light.

Can anyone suggest a synth that would do the job? Should I choose another arranger...maby a mid-level Roland? What about the M-Audio Prokeys piano?

Anyone else using a keyboard at 90 degrees?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Russ

#133290 - 05/11/07 11:04 AM Re: Equipment help..
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
What about a Kurzweil KME61 or SP76. Both have sounds that will be different than what you have and the Kurzweil piano is fantastic.

Roland arrangers would be good and different too. Do you need an arranger there? The E50 or even the EXR5s might do the job for you.

#133291 - 05/11/07 11:25 AM Re: Equipment help..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well if you're looking for decent sounds and want the synth without the full workstation features.., here's your choices:

61 key models
-------------------------
-Roland Juno-D
-Roland GW-7 (though an arranger Roland has it listed under their synths)
-Korg X50
-Yamaha MM6 (Mini Mo)
-Yamaha S-03
-Alesis QS6.2

88 key models
-------------------------
-Casio Privias
-Roland's newest FP series
-Alesis QS8.2
-Yamaha S-08
-Kurzweil SP-76
-Kurzweil SP-88
-Kurzweil SP-88X

I'd be iffy on the M-Audio's... Too many problems associated with those units. Not very reliable IMO.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133292 - 05/11/07 11:55 AM Re: Equipment help..
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, guys. I do use the arranger function sometimes on my MS-60 (soon to be replaced with the SD-5). Question: I looked briefly at the Juno D, but couldn't tell if you can set easily accessed (real time) presets. If I were to get another brand of arranger for the right hand, it would be for ease of accessing pre-set sounds, not for the arranger function.

Looked briefly at the Privia, but don't really have room for an 88 key board. George Kaye sold me a WK-8000, and this would work if it were more portable and less than 88 keys.

I like the idea of having a synth for this function, as long as the piano, vibes and electric piano sounds were acceptable. Synth capabilities would just add to the "fun" factor.

The Korg micro is just for fun! I'll take your suggestions and look at some specs.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Russ

#133293 - 05/11/07 12:08 PM Re: Equipment help..
captain Russ Offline

Cassp, the Kursweill KME 61 looks really interesting and the price is fantastic1 My only concern is relatively low scores from reviewers on the ZSounds and Musicians Friend sites. Size, presets and everything else looks Like it will work. I'll go to Guitar Center tomorrow to see if they have one. They have Privia's and the Juno D.

I'll also continue to look at your other suggestions. Right now, I have 45 minutes until my first job of the night across town.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Russ

#133294 - 05/11/07 12:54 PM Re: Equipment help..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Accessing sounds quickly on the Juno-D (for live play) will be accomplished through the "Performance Mode". The Juno-D has a number of "Preset Performances" each containing 16 parts. You can also edit and create some of your own (don't know off the top of my head how many user performances the Juno-D has though).

The Juno-D ships with editor software and a sequencer software app. (I think it's Sonar). The Juno-D doesn't have a USB port so if you use it with the included software you'll need a midi USB converter. It's a great little synth really. The Juno-D is "identical" to my Roland RS-70 in how it functions. However, my RS-70 has a few more features, but the core of the OS is the same, and they have the same body, buttons, ect.

The Juno-D is designed as a lightweight easy to carry to a gig synth with good sounds. It's also designed as a "budget" synth for computer based recording--which is why it ships with Sonar to make up for the lack of internal sequencing.

The editor software is VERY useful.... Using it you can easily edit voices, set up performances, copy effects from "patch" to "performance mode" with ease. Roland was very smart in creating an editor for the Juno-D. The editor can even be used in conjuction with the included seq software or another app. The editor will give you a mixer screen (in perf. mode) that will allow you to see all 16 parts, and make changes there--very handy. Just a good all around budget (and inexpensive) little synth.

Go here to see some good video demos of the Juno-D http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=429&ParentId=83

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-11-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133295 - 05/11/07 04:36 PM Re: Equipment help..
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Russ,
The GW7 from Roland has great sounds, weighs only 10LBs, 64 Voice polyphony and has performance memories to store all your favorite setups. It sells for $695.00.
It's much easier to use than the JunoD and in my opinion has better preset sounds. Even though they both come from the Fantom library, all that listen to the two think the GW7 sounds better.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online