SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120780 - 05/11/07 12:08 PM Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I know of a couple new owners here at SZ that recently bought DisCover 5 keyboards..They have confirmed what I have always stated..the DisCover5 is the best SMF, playing keyboard today...even compared to the new model Roland arrangers that utilize the same features..the DisCover has a little different operation that makes navigation easier..

For you folks that never tried the DisCover series or had any interest to do so...you have missed a way of working SMF's in a way that you can have a complete performance..

And as the Roland G70 and E80...a super harmonizer too..

Maybe a few other owners will comment, too

All comments welcomed..Any questions , I would be glad to answer..

Sales of the DisCover series..did not do well...I am convinced that Roland didn't care since the sale of DisCover 5's would have hurt the sales of the G70 and E80...

#120781 - 05/11/07 12:16 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Dnj Offline

http://www.roland.com/products/en/DisCover_5/index.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-11-2007).]

#120782 - 05/11/07 12:39 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran swayed me toward the DC5 a few months back. It is everything he says. The sounds as good as any current Roland keyboard, the Cover feature is amazing in how it globally adjusts instrument assignments in SMFs, and you can save that Cover or use a different one each time you play that song. Mark and Loop points for songs are great features too. And lastly, the harmonizer is one sweet feature - easy to use and natural sounding if used correctly.

There aren't many of these boards out there, but if you get a chance to try one don't pass it up. In the meantime, try the EXR5s to hear many of the same features, just not all of them.

#120783 - 05/11/07 01:09 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Dnj Offline

Cassp congrats on your D5 you made a wise choice its an awesome unit with so many pro features besides sounds fantastic...editing is easy and in very depth too....it was a sleeper for Roland but the savvy musician unlocked the secret and have prospered with their choice for sure....

Good Luck!

#120784 - 05/11/07 01:10 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny... what navigation features in particular made it so much better than current Roland arrangers?

Maybe we can make some noise at Roland, and get them to adopt the DC5 system on new models? Worth a try, if the differences are THAT significant....

#120785 - 05/11/07 01:21 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Dnj Offline

Diki......its pretty much like the G70 in the editing dept....makeup tools...the ability to disect drum kits seperatly & make changes (a feature I love)excellent vocal harmonizer best in the business and Mic efx, vocoder, displays next chord before change very uselful.
Killer sounds, rugged big buttons and a real nice logical navagational layout .....everthing in the right place for live play.....multiple inputs for pedals.....but I wish they added some AUX INPUTS for iPOD/extra mic, etc, etc,...Honestly I might have been a bit hasty in selling my G70...but I will be checking out an E80 soon ...........
got to run to a gig now ...

l8tr

#120786 - 05/11/07 01:26 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, one biggie missing on the G and E..When you want to change instruments within a sequence..the page opens showing 8 parts at a time and easily changed to the other 8 parts..you can easily select different instruments, even instruments that change on the same channel later in the sequence..With the G70 for example you have to page thru to the part and then change the instrument...When playing live this is too much concentration to get around..The DisCover5 is a breeze to work live..just one example...BTW, as we all know the G and E does so many other good things..styles, VK organ etc..it would be my only choice for all in one keyboard..

#120787 - 05/11/07 04:56 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
Dnj Offline

Cassp congrats on your D5 you made a wise choice its an awesome unit with so many pro features besides that it sounds fantastic...editing is easy and in depth too....unit was a sleeper for Roland but the savvy musician unlocked the secret and have prospered with their choice for sure, it really does soooo much....
Good Luck

#120788 - 05/11/07 05:12 PM Re: Roland DisCover5...simply amazing!!!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Fran, I hear you about the Discover, (I've always had my eye on that keyboard - I liked what I read about it's features and OS) but why would you want to change instruments during a sequence live?(Serious question)

I have my SMF's worked and tweaked to perfection before I gig, so I honestly don't feel the need for this feature (nice to have though I guess).....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online