SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#132835 - 09/12/05 02:33 PM OS Restore
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
On a recent post, someone referred to purchasing a new laptop from Dell, paying for the XP Pro, and not receiving the discs until a telephone hassle with Dell. Since I recently purchased a Dell laptop I thought I'd do the same... spend a morning on the phone, you know the routine.

What I was told, was that all Dell computers post July, 2004 have the OS on the HD, making it quicker and easier to do a restore. They don't say much about it until someone calls with and OS inquiry. Don't know if other manufacturers do the same, but it'd be worth checking out.

If anyone wants the Dell proceedure, let me know.

Glenn

#132836 - 09/12/05 03:08 PM Re: OS Restore
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Glenn,

When I bought my Compaq, they included a restoration disk with the PC, however, in order to do a complete restoration you had to buy a pair of disk for about $10 each. Since then, two hard drives later, they were worth the extra money. I'm trying to figure how anyone can do a restoration if their Dell hard drive crashes. Hmmmmmm! Betcha' it's gonna' be expensive and take lots of time on the phone with some guy in India--that's where their service base is located.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#132837 - 09/12/05 04:09 PM Re: OS Restore
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I'm trying to figure how anyone can do a restoration if their Dell hard drive crashes. Hmmmmmm!

You're right, Gary, after a HD crash it won't work... but the guy from India IS sending me the disks.

Glenn

#132838 - 09/12/05 06:07 PM Re: OS Restore
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I bought my Compaq laptop it came with restore disk[a year ago].
3 months ago I purchased a HP desktop, the hard drive is partitioned that the restore is located on D drive..I made backup restore disk...Always back your system restore, don't rely on the hard drive..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online