SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#132572 - 03/20/03 02:35 PM It took over two months to repair my PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

On January 10th I brought in one of my PSR2000s because of distortion in the speakers. I paid $25 for the repair center to give it rush priority.

They looked at it on January 14th and determined that a speaker was blown. They called Yamaha to order the speaker. Yamaha told the repair center that the part was on back order and could take 4-6 weeks. Since I didn't want to be without a practice keyboard that long, I picked it up. It didn't distort at low volumes, so I was fine. I just kept my fingers crossed that my other PSR2000 didn't bite the dust. Thankfully, it didn't.

The replacement speaker didn't come in until March 17th. My keyboard was ready on March 18th. That's over two months.

You really can't make a living at this depending on one keyboard. I think it's ideal to have at least three keyboards because when these beasts have to be repaired, it can be a long time. And heaven forbid two keyboards need repair at the same time and you only have two keyboards.

Just a heads up that Yamaha isn't that speedy with parts. My last repair took them over three weeks too if I recall well.

Beakybird

#132573 - 03/20/03 03:13 PM Re: It took over two months to repair my PSR2000
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Sorry Beak! I forwarded your comments to the manager in parts. We're working on getting better in that area.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#132574 - 03/20/03 06:49 PM Re: It took over two months to repair my PSR2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I know just how that feels Beaky. I had this experience twice with Yamaha myself. Both time the repairs took well over two months.

The first time was my PSR740 for a broken pitch wheel. I waited 11 weeks because the authorized repair center was not able to get the part it needed from yamaha Japan. What was particularly disheartening was that in the end I found out that the offending part was a common potentiometer avaialable at any Radio Shack. Had I know or been told I would have repaired it myself, instead of waiting all that time for a "Yamaha" part.

The second repair took even longer and actually it never happened and I wound up getting rid of my PSR2000 for that reason. Both the OS and floppy in my 2k went sour and I waited and waited for a repair but it never came. 3 months later my dealer regained possesion of the 2000, I got a full refund, and I went on to purchase a workstation with the funds.

I wish I could afford to have 3 top quality arrangers. I only play out occasionally for now but I really need a backup to my Pa80. In some ways I want to just go out and grab the Tyros, but my past experiences with Yamaha service for their arrangers has slowed me down and made this an agonizing decision for me. The logical choice would be to get a PA60 to backup my PA80, so that I can use the same files, but on the other hand I really like the versatility of having two different types of arrangers. Roland just doesn't have anything that will meet my needs either, and I still haven't been able to see a Ketron locally. When push comes to shove, I might wind up with the Tyros, but in addition to my concerns about potential factory repair delays I really hate the thought of paying that much for a board that doesn't allow me to use my plug in boards or have sampling. The VL acoustic board has become my staple for playing sax and other solo acoustic instrument sounds. If the Tyros had those features, I could make the transition a lot easier by being able to part with my Motif... The saga continues and I'm long winded once again..lol

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online