SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13224 - 02/20/06 06:50 AM Delay via USB to PC with Privia 400R
Chris H Offline

Loc: Wigan, Lancs, UK
Hi all,

As neither my PC (laptop or desktop) has a joystick port, and as my 400 piano is equipped with a USB port, I've been linking up via USB...but in practice I've noticed a disconcerting problem: namely a delay between the pressing of the keyboard keys and the sounding of the notes on the PC. It's only a split-second delay, but it makes live playing almost impossible!

Is this familiar to anyone else, and if so any ideas how to fix it? Even if I splashed out the additional expence of a MIDI to USB interface (which I'd rather not if I don't need to) there's still no guarantee that this will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris

#13225 - 02/20/06 01:20 PM Re: Delay via USB to PC with Privia 400R
quietDIN Offline

As a start, do a Google Web search on "MIDI latency" and another on "ASIO drivers".

--Barry

#13226 - 02/21/06 06:04 AM Re: Delay via USB to PC with Privia 400R
Jim Wintringham Offline

Loc: Forest, Oh., U.S.A.
Sometimes the 'internal' synth chip in the computer will not have the delay that a 'soft synth' tone has....even if it is a lower quality. The tone doesn't really matter in midi...as you can redirect it back to your best sounding tones...when you are done recording.
The other option, is to record the song as 'audio' rather than midi (Casio headphone jack to computer 'line in'). A good free audio recorder is: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
That program will let you add tracks (layer)...and create a wave or mp3 file. The down side is you cann't edit notes...you just re-do the take.

#13227 - 03/01/06 12:59 PM Re: Delay via USB to PC with Privia 400R
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I really don't know the answer but I read once that the driver programs are generally where latency problems begin. The drivers are how the devices talk to the pc hardware (is my limited understanding). So if this communication is slowed down at all you'll see latency issues. I know nothing about the 400 either but if you had to load a driver on your PC to work with the 400, your pc may not handle that driver as well as it ought to.

I use a Midiman 2x2 interface that requires no specific driver and from that I run standard Midi cables to my synths.... I've never had any trouble.

If you did not have to load a special driver for the 400, then I would think any midi interface might give you the same problem. because then the trouble might be with your PC talking to its own USB port.

It might be worth a try to get a midi interface. There's a cheap 1x1 out now I believe for like 50 bucks. Do you have a friend that can lend you a midi interface just to test it out?

Best wishes.
Bob
<><

#13228 - 03/01/06 01:53 PM Re: Delay via USB to PC with Privia 400R
Chris H Offline

Loc: Wigan, Lancs, UK
Thanks Bob, Jim and Barry...

I haven't really got around to trying to sort the problem yet, but all your advice is much appreciated and I'll keep you posted if I have any success.

Chris

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online