Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132258 - 09/11/07 04:12 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, etc., pay from $100 to $125 an hour, and a few pay $150 an hour in this part of the world.

and substantially MORE in my area , especially if what you deliver stands out above the local entertainment competition.

#132259 - 09/11/07 04:19 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Beakybird Offline

Welcome Jim:

In Chicago, I make $100-$200 at nursing and retirement homes, with $140 being my average. If one can get 10-12 shows a week including an occasional senior center, library, or private party, that's a decent buck.

Nevertheless, I'm not so much in the chips that I would buy two Tyros 2's. Two PSR-S900's are enough for me. Once you are used to having two of the same keyboard - one in your studio to practice and tweak files, and one in your vehicle - there is no going back. Even though there were times when my PSR3000s were in the shop that I wished that had owned three of them!

Beakybird

#132260 - 09/11/07 04:34 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Still, must be nice to be making those incredible nursing home dollars and have two of everything!

Sound more like jealousy to me...

I'll probably start doing them when I'm a bit older and fit in (plus they'll want to hear seventies stuff by them!) but for now, I don't mind playing the regular venues for the pittance I get.

After all, it's all about the MUSIC, isn't it, guys?

#132261 - 09/11/07 04:46 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
and substantially MORE in my area , especially if what you deliver stands out above the local entertainment competition.

Scott what does a top dog pro like yourself get in your area for a 1hr show?

#132262 - 09/11/07 06:13 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Scottyee Offline

Quote:

I'll probably start doing them when I'm a bit older and fit in (plus they'll want to hear seventies stuff by them!) but for now, I don't mind playing the regular venues for the pittance I get.

Diki, hmmm I had thought we were fairly close in age. Nonetheless, don't under estimate the satisfaction of performing for seniors. Most I play for weren't that old in the 70's so recognize & appreciate many tunes from that golden era, as long as it isn't acid hard rock. They also appreciate younger entertainers who can play & appreciate the stuff they like and to hear more current material as well . . . afterall, they watch TV, and are exposed to current music thru their grandkids, so playing current songs keeps helps them feel like their keeping up with current trends. - Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott what does a top dog pro like yourself get in your area for a 1hr show?

Donny, I'm rather surprised to get this question from you, of all people here, especially because I realize you're perhaps the leading advocate of not divulging business or $ rates here. That said, a nursing home & retirement community pay scale will vary greatly depending on clientle and level of service (ranging from medicare subsidized to the wealthiest private institutions). Some are even able to feature top tier Vegas/Broadway entertainment stars, so pay is always commensurate to budget and clientle entertainment level demand. - Scott

#132263 - 09/11/07 07:49 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Well, Scott, I realize that things are not ENTIRELY standards driven at nursing homes, but you probably have to admit it is the meat of the repertoire for those venues. And not that I mind playing that kind of material (far from it, in fact, I might investigate the area just to get to play that stuff from time to time), but my tastes run quite a range (probably more than they'd like!) and on the whole, I think I prefer playing to people younger than me, not older! (I'm a very young 51!).

I still work primarily with younger acts in the studio, and just feel I have a little more to offer the younger listener (at least, younger than nursing homes!), that's all.

Plus, I live in a VERY small town, that is resort orientated. My area of Florida isn't as much of a retirement community as places further south, so the market is tighter, and harder to get the doubles and triples that make it so financially rewarding to those that work it. A nice metropolitan area probably has dozens of upscale retirement homes, but they are scarce around here...

I have NO problem with any that do make a living doing those gigs, more strength to you all, say I... It's just that I don't see myself there for a while, yet!

I wonder what retirement gigs will be like in twenty years...? 'Play 'Cop Killer' one more time, sonny!' 'Do you know 'I want to sex you up'?' 'Play that Beastie Boys medley one more time, bi-atchhh!'

#132264 - 09/11/07 08:49 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
I'm a very young 51!

aha: so you, Uncle Dave, and Donny Pesce are all nearly the SAME age. I'm out-numbered!

Quote:

I wonder what retirement gigs will be like in twenty years...?

No different than today I assume, probably leaning most heavily on 'today's' current Billboard adult contemporary hits:

Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Top Ten Hits for the week of 9/1/07

Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online