SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132248 - 09/11/07 06:53 AM New TY2 Guy
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Hi Gang, I've been reading the forum now for some time,just decided to bite the bullet and sign up so I can get my two cents in.

I've been playing the saxaphone around Baltimore for about 40 years. I've pittled with keyboard off and on during that time. I had one of the first DX7's to hit the market and than a DX711 and several differant moduals. I had just developed a fare left hand when I discoverd the psr 8000. I fooled with that for a time than perchased TY1 and started doing the nursing home circuit.

I met Bob Lee and Gary Diamond who live near me, we became friends and work a lot of the same venues and cover each other from time to time.

I am now the proud owner of 2 Ty2s. Sorry Fran! but as you can see I've always been a Yahama guy.

Jim

#132249 - 09/11/07 07:12 AM Re: New TY2 Guy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jim, as a former Ty1 owner too, I know you're going to appreciate the many new & enhanced features of Tyros2. Enjoy. - Scott

#132250 - 09/11/07 07:49 AM Re: New TY2 Guy
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Jim, I also was one of the first DX7 buyers in my area..

I also have owned many Yamaha keyboards and modules..

I wish you success and happiness with your new board..

#132251 - 09/11/07 09:12 AM Re: New TY2 Guy
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Thanks Scott & Fran.
I've had my first T2 for almost a year, just got the second one this week for backup.

Bob Lee had a problem with his and it was in the shop for about 6 weeks. He used my T1 untill he got his back. I realy need to have a backup. I have a regular Thursday night gig at a tike bar and some club dates as well 15 or so day gigs, so I could lose a few bucks if my board went down.

Regards JIm

#132252 - 09/11/07 12:00 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
$3500+ for a backup sounds a little excessive... (IMO)

Why not use the one T2 to prepare audio files of your song repertoire, and use an inexpensive anything to lay down live parts at the gig if your T2 wigs out... A CD player or iPod is a LOT cheaper than a T2 (and let's face it, how often do you think it's going to crap out on you?)...

And if you GOTS to have an arranger backup, maybe save a few dollars and get an S900...

Still, must be nice to be making those incredible nursing home dollars and have two of everything!

#132253 - 09/11/07 02:48 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Still, must be nice to be making those incredible nursing home dollars and have two of everything!

Well, nothing says WELCOME like a little well-placed sarcasm. Shouldn't we at least let the guy get his feet wet before we drown him? JMO.

chas

PS: Diki, you know I'm a big fan, but sometimes you just gotta sheath that sword.

#132254 - 09/11/07 03:27 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I also gig several times a week with my Tyros2, but have to concur with Diki on this one.

It doesn't make business sense to buy two of ANY keyboard, especially one that's expensive. Remember, there's equal chance the PA or mic might blow, the keyboard stand might collapse, or the gig venue power fuses blow. Does that mean we should buy TWO of all those as well, and how does that solve the problem if it happens ON the gig? I'm certainly not going to transport EVERYTHING in duplicate to every gig.

I think flexibility is what's really called for. Though (in nearly 2 years) I've not experienced a Tyros2 breakdown, I've still got my core backing tracks stored on my iPod allowing me to simply take my old Roland A33 controler & Alesis piano sound module if if that scenario ever comes up. That said, because of my own absent mindedness on the very rare occasion of simply forgetting to bring a key component (aka: KB/PA power cord, cable, etc) to the gig, I've had to simply play the acoustic piano, yet still gave the audience a very good time. In our excitement about the latest keyboards & features, let's not lose track of this fact: It's really about what we're able to deliver & entertain from our heart, and less about the actual keyboard/instrument used. - Scott

#132255 - 09/11/07 03:42 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

It takes a special kind of performer to play nursing homes...I commend you.

Having a spare keyboard is handy when you gig a lot...especially if one ever needs a few days in the shop.

You are wise.

Ian

#132256 - 09/11/07 03:49 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, etc., pay from $100 to $125 an hour, and a few pay $150 an hour in this part of the world. That's one heck of a lot more than the average nite-club, bar and upscale restaurant pay in most areas of the U.S.. Those of us that have been in this business for a considerable number of years are more than happy to give the smoke-filled, low-paying bars, etc.. to the youngsters that don't mind working all night for the same amount of money we get for an hours work. And, the referals from the nursing homes for high paying private parties is outstanding.

We have a great group of performers in the mid-Atlantic region, many of which are more than willing to help each other out when things go awry. We frequently refer each other to new venues, and have no problem loaning our backup equipment to friends in need. Backup gear is very important to those of us who perform daily for a living. Just think of how much money you would loose if your keyboard was sitting in a repair facility for 6 weeks or more, then the cost of a backup seems miniscule.

Jim is an excellent performer, can really make his sax wail, and his keyboard skills are second to none. I am proud to have him as a friend.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#132257 - 09/11/07 04:08 PM Re: New TY2 Guy
Dnj Offline

Gary ......right on all counts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online