Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#131975 - 08/02/05 09:52 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
It only does that with this style?

No, I didn't say that. Don suggested it, it sounded reasonable.

Have I ever said how much I hate computers? I swear, is it worth it?

I found the original sytle file on my hard drive. I copied the style over the old style on the work floppy that I have been using. Then, the floppy would not load. Came back to computer, insert floppy, says "not formatted." Now, I have no idea what styles were on that floppy. I have them all backed up but I don't know which ones were on there without a lot of digging through lead sheets.

Then, I formatted another floppy on the psr2000. I copied the original style to the empty floppy. Played the song. Same problem.

A mystery and it's really ticking me off. 24 hours ago, this style was playing fine. It's a glitch with something in the keyboard, apparently.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131976 - 08/02/05 10:37 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Try using any onboard style on the keyboard--not a user style file. Then if the problem is repeatable, it's the keyboard. If not, it's the converted SD1 style file.

Style conversions have the tendency to do some strange things, often when you least expect. They can also be corrupted by other files, which poses other problems when loading or using. I've had some that worked great in one keyboard, and would not even load in another. It's the nature of the beast.

Good luck and I hope you can solve this one,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131977 - 08/02/05 09:02 PM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Bill, Can you send me.... A. the style file itself, and if possible.. a midifile of the song you recorded ?

I totally agree with Gary on this one. Conversions can and often do strange things. Having dabbled in doing quite a few conversions myself, it has become apparent that how a style is converted actually has a lot to do with how well it works. Also, the data inside can be a factor. I've noticed problems with several of the " auto" conversion styles, ala EMC styleworks. Some of them have played poorly in my Yamaha arrangers, but it isn't just a Yamaha problem. I have experienced similar ( and sometimes even worse ) problems with auto converted styles tht I have tried to use in my PA80.

I have no issues with computers. That's just a personal thing I guess. Floppies are another issue. I rank 'em for reliability ( translated ..just when you need them most ) right up there with the Smart media Card. I have had so many problems with both types of media that I now consider it mandatory to bring my laptop and my Usb drives to shows just as a backup for media, even when I am only using an arranger and / or the Motif ES and have no intention of using any vsti synths.

Midi itself can be a strange thing too at times. It seems that so many things can go wrong unexpectedly. With that thought in mind, I guess I stand almost in awe at how reliable the basic arranger functions have been in my PA80 and my previous Yamaha arrangers, except for my original PSR2000, which was buggier than any computer I've ever used.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-02-2005).]

#131978 - 08/03/05 03:49 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Bill, Can you send me.... A. the style file itself, and if possible.. a midifile of the song you recorded ?

Hooboy, I woke up tired! From working with this sucker. Thanks for the offer and yes, I will do that if I can resurrect the .mid file on the floppy that I recorded to. I also have the recorded final WAV file where you can hear the dropout.

Still, it's odd that the style played okay for awhile. But again, this 'dropout' problem, I think it happens from time to time with other styles but I'm tired, not 100% sure.

But thanks for saying your psr2000 was buggy for you. Now, I know I'm not crazy. I like this board, I really do but it does some st-range things sometimes.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131979 - 08/03/05 04:53 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My experiences with the older PSR's...when the total polyphony is reached they would mute for a second or so, untill they recover..I would suspect that maybe the style you are using and the voices are exceeding the polyphony, causing your problem..
Do you have a program[pc] that can show the polyphony being used?

#131980 - 08/03/05 05:00 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
My experiences with the older PSR's...when the total polyphony is reached they would mute for a second or so, untill they recover..I would suspect that maybe the style you are using and the voices are exceeding the polyphony, causing your problem..
Do you have a program[pc] that can show the polyphony being used?

No, Fran, I do not.

Hmmm... now, THAT is also interesting. Maybe YOU have figured it out. That is very possible. Because I have, yes, found sometimes that the system DOES mute out due to polyphony issues, no doubt about it. I've mostly noticed it when I'm using a right hand certain electric guitar. It doesn't happen very often.

But this is something I have not even considered.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131981 - 08/03/05 05:45 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
OK Bill,

If you can find and send the midifile we can look at it a little and perhaps we can get a better idea. The total dropout thing due to polyphony is another possibility. I didn't have either of my 2000's long enough to have ever experienced this, but Fran miht have nailed it ... and oh yes my first one was really buggy.

I'd probably have to dig up my old posts on it to remember all the things that were wrong, but in a nutshell... it had to do a lot with registrations, saving the wrong data, mixer settings changing for no apparent reason, etc. I was beginning to think it was me.. and that I simply wasn't able to grasp the concept of the board. Then again, the problem was intermittent, which was even more frustrating.

When I finally did send it out for repair, even the tech couldn't believe how messed up it was... In stark contrast, my second 2000 did absolutely everything I wanted it to do flawlessly.

AJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online