SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13187 - 01/05/06 06:43 AM Casio WK3500 - delete track/SMF
jmloisch Offline

Loc: Kokomo, IN USA
I have tried repeatedly to create multi-track recordings (SONGS) and then delete one track (per the manual's instructions) to no avail. I've tried this on the 3500 at home as well as on a newer 3200 at the store. I just record a short track in a new song (say, SONG 0). Then add a track by recording again. Now I have a track 11 and track 12. I then go to "play song 0", cursor down to "delete track?", and press the track 11 or track 12 button, btu they don't become available, like the manual says they should.... Also, is there any way to delete a single SMF, when you have several SMF's in memory?

Thanks a bunch!
Jan

#13188 - 01/05/06 04:01 PM Re: Casio WK3500 - delete track/SMF
Jim Wintringham Offline

Loc: Forest, Oh., U.S.A.
Also answered on Casio user forum: http://www.originalz.com/casio/casio_bbs/

The built in 'song sequencer' can have 6 tracks (11 to 16), with track 11 also holding the 'rhtyhm' information for tracks 5 thru 10. To delete a 'track' (11 thru 16), press the song memory 1 time (to the 'play' display). You use the 'big' registration buttons...to select the track (11 thru 16) that you want to 'delete'. The button labled 'bank', is track 11...and so on, to the button marked 'store' that is track 16. Pressing these buttons will cause the corrosponding track to flash. Press the 'yes' button to each prompt, to finish the delete. Yes you can remove one SMF file from the group.

If you want to remove SMF files from the Casio memory, Press the Transpose button. Cursor down to 'DelSMF'. Press 'yes'. The first song's name will display. Use the 'right/left' cursors to move thru the list. When you see one you want to delete...press the 'down' cursor. Answer 'yes' to the prompt....and the SMF will be deleted. The SMF files are loaded by 'date'....meaning the most recent additions are placed at the end of the list. So, if you want to arrange the order of play...you control that by the order you load the SMF files into Casio memory.

#13189 - 01/06/06 05:12 AM Re: Casio WK3500 - delete track/SMF
jmloisch Offline

Loc: Kokomo, IN USA
Jim - - Thanx! That worked great. I guess I really need to pay attention to what is meant by "Song Memory Track" button (I thought those were the smaller buttons, numbered 1 thru 16). As far as deleting specific SMF's, I think I had tried every button but the "down cursor" for the final deletion step. I don't think the manual's diagram is quite complete enough, and there is no text description of how to delete SMF's. I really appreciate your response and expertise on this machine! Thanx again!

Any recommendations on materials for learning about the details of midi?

Jan

#13190 - 01/06/06 09:39 AM Re: Casio WK3500 - delete track/SMF
Jim Wintringham Offline

Loc: Forest, Oh., U.S.A.
Glad that helped you

I'm not sure how much you want to do with midi files....but I can tell you that a computer based 'software sequencer program' is a whole lot easier to work with, than the built in Casio 'song' sequencer. My favorite (because of price/benefit) is a program called 'Power Tracks', by PG Music. www.pgmusic.com
To use this type of program (there are many others...just as good)...you first need to have a 'computer to Casio' midi cable, like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=.../base_id/100498
This allows you to play on your Casio, and record it (as midi)...to your computer. You can also play a midi file on the computer, and direct the midi data...out to your Casio. This is a simple selection in the midi options, that is usually automaticly set the first time you use the software. PG Music has a very nice forum, with people willing to help you...if you get stuck on a problem. Just reading the old post on their forum, would give you lots of great help, in the general way midi files work.

The advantage of a computer based midi sequencer is that the saved file will work on most all computers (not like the Casio song file). It is very easy to work with (using the standard staff display, or a 'piano roll' display)...to edit notes...add more parts, switch instruments...and so on. The Casio midi out will record 'what you hear' on the Casio...meaning the rhythm parts, too....each to it's own 'track' in the computer sequencer program.

Another nice thing with the Power Tracks program, is that it will also record 'audio' tracks (think like a tape recorder)...where you connect the Casio 'headphone or line out jacks' to the computer's 'line in' jack on the computer's sound card. This will give you the 'actual Casio sounds' in a 'wave or mp3' type of file. You could add vocals, or other live instruments, thru a microphone. If you have a CD burner...you could make your own CDs...that you could play on a regular CD player. Lots of fun things to do!

[This message has been edited by Jim Wintringham (edited 01-06-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online