SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131844 - 04/30/05 12:10 AM What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The thing that attracted me to this forum initially (way back in 1999) was because the forum I was previously at (Technics Canada Forum) was closing. Being fairly new to arranger at that time, with the Technics KN5000 being only my 2nd arranger, following my brief affair with the Roland RA800 (module version of the G800) I was looking for a forum which provided a diversity of opinions on all makes/models of arranger keyboards. As I live in a major metropolitan area (SF Bay Area) where even good musicians are a dime a dozen & music & the arts flourish, while arranger keyboard interest on the other-hand was limited to amateur home-players only, and pooh poohed by the 'quote- unquote' pro musicians here. I was at a cross roads then whether I was entering the dark side to utilize an arranger for pro performance. Only after meeting arranger friends here on SZ did I finally fully appreciate the full potential of an arranger keyboard for a pro musician in performing. The one thing that keeps me COMING BACK here regularly (daily?!) is because I've met so many wonderful people here (from all over the world) over the years, having had the opportunity to meet many in person (& playing music together) with some who now have become lifelong friends who I meet up with on a regular basis now. The Synthzone forum has given me the rare opportunity to connect with and meet arranger enthusiasts from all around the Country (USA) & throughout the world, and I appreciate most the cross cultural exchanges, both musical and otherwise. Many thanks to Nigel for making this all possible for us. I'm really interested now in hearing from others about how you found this forum, and what keeps you here as well.

Scott

#131845 - 04/30/05 02:21 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I found the forum when I was searching for keyboard information on the net. I had decided to see if i could find something to replace the Casio, since it had served me well for 10 years and seemed good enough for me by then (early 2004) but then I stumbled on some keyboard demos on the net and my jaws fell off....I couldn't believe the quality I was hearing....anyway back to the topic. I first saw synthzone and looked at the various pages, then realized there was a forum. I was HOOKED. There were people that used an arranger to make money, and I realised that some of these people, had owned probably everything (Scootyee, Fran Carango, Uncle Dave and others) AND also knew how to properly lay down a sentence on virtual paper. Or sometimes some couldn't, and flames would go up.
The rest is history, I log on every day, to see what's going on and I enjoy it very much. I don't like the recent war about OT psts and what is OT, where it should have been or when, but I prefer to remain silent since I believe it will pass.
Amen

#131846 - 04/30/05 02:23 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
...and my name is Theodore, not Amen!

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131847 - 04/30/05 02:40 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Well, since you asked.... I actually work for a secret agency and am here in disguise to monitor you all. In the years I have been a member here I have written a socio-psychological profile of you all and keep it constantly updated. My secret mission is to single out people who could be potentially dangerous for the occidental way of living.
So.... if looking outside your window you see a black car with two men inside, wearing black suits and sunglasses.... you are either watching the shooting of a scene of "Blues Brothers 3" or you are in my blacklist.

Disclaimer: please, consider what I wrote as a joke (a la Don Mason) and carry on like I didn't say anything; this will be of great help for my job.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131848 - 04/30/05 02:43 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I found this forum after finding the Technics forum when I got my kn5000. I found a wider range of topics discussed,and working pros. Between the two,I have gained a wealth of knowledge and new friends I will have for a lifetime. This certainly includes Scott.
Bernie

#131849 - 04/30/05 05:05 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I'm here since about 3 months. The overwhelming of this forum with OT posts causes me now to leave this forum forever...I hate you all...

Okay, that's only the half truth! In reality I'm here since about 3 and a half months...

Okay, okay, okay!!! I'm just kidding! I don't wanna leave this forum and I also love you all and I'm really here since about 3 months. I came to this forum as a part of my quest through the WWW - I've searched for some informations about my Kurzweil.
I've got some really good helping hands and so I thought that this place could give me so much more than this. I'm staying here because I hope that I can give some helpful informations back to you...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131850 - 04/30/05 07:00 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was born here. See, it's stated on my birth certificate!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131851 - 04/30/05 07:18 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
painkiller Offline

Loc: Sweden
I came here in the first place to get some advice on what new arranger to buy (Casio WK3500 or Roland EXR-series). After I got the information I wanted I stayed just because so many interesting topics were brought up and it's always nice to meet people interested in music and keyboard playing.
Btw, I found SynthZone through www.exr5.tk, which I visited to get info about the Roland EXR line.
I'm not posting that often but I check the topics every day to see if something interesting comes up and I hope some time I can contribute something to this very nice place.

------------------

Robert.

#131852 - 04/30/05 07:29 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
MrEd Offline

Its part of my probation agreement.

I'm learning how to get along with various personalities, attitudes, viewpoints...
How to look beyond the critic but to see if there is any value to be gained in the criticism...
How to make adjustments, to forgive and to forget...

This may be common horse sense to some,
but not to the not-so-famous keyboard-playing MrEd

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131853 - 04/30/05 07:32 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:
I became a member since 11-25-00, all because I was looking to buy a Solton/Ketron X1 HD...and I did find all the info and support. Also since then, I did buy other boards and did meet George Key, great guy !!..This forum is also addictive, I check EVERYDAY...keeps me up to date in the arranger worls, besides the tips, humor...etc. Thank you Gary, Scott, Don, U.D., Dan, and everyone !!.

------------------
mdorantes

#131854 - 04/30/05 08:20 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Nigel, our moderator came into my store 1 day and told me about this forum. I visited it that night and found musicians from all over the world talking about the keyboards I knew so much about at my store and found it addicting. This was back in the days when the layout was nothing like today's post. Do you longtimers out there remember those posts and replies that went all over the screen? It's a lot easier on the eyes today!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#131855 - 04/30/05 08:50 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I was born here!

Gar, yep, I was actually around to witness your birth , though in reality, I think you're at least 'a few' years older than me, right? Kinda of a funny paradox huh?

What (to me) makes our forum so extra special is how 'each of us' brings something a little something 'different' to the table. Some people bring sneek preview 'news' on the latest keyboards coming down the pike (from dealers: G.Kaye & DanO, to European members (Notlos, etc) who often get the first opportunity to audition new kb warz), others provide technical know-how (both musical to computer): Gary Diamond who always comes to the rescue solving just about any music electronics issue to come up here, PC-computer expert Mike Sutliff (who's incidendently heads the Computer Center at a leading US University) is always willing to step in with assistance, Uncle Dave sharing his countless pearl's of wisdom; Don Mason, the forum's leading Country music expert, arr kb guitar playing expert (still gotta figure out how you do that), and ultimate Southern Gentleman, Dirk Baert (Notlos), Andrea Rotolo (Dreamer), Chico Brazil, and Armando (SD_Fan): Bossa Nova afficiandos all; Uncle Dave, Donny Pesce aka DNJ (hope you're still with us buddy), and Fran Carango, who make up the inseparable 'East Coast Boys' and always have something to share, like "FogetabouTiT!" ; JimEsh "the Pro", decidely opininated & brash, but one I have to respect for his experience & knowledge; Roel DeJonge, our man with the golden ear who can detect a pin drop with the music playing at 100db; Jose Mathias (Route66) a Portuguese math genius with a generous heart & many words of wisdom, Scott Langholff for his offbeat humor, man I never knew what a terrific player he was till I only recently finally got to hear his demos on his new website; Rich Child (RichUK) who exudes a warm senstive vocal style with kb skills to match, and who I've recently begun to work with on a live 'cross the Atlantic' co-produced music project via Skype internet phone (UK-Ca). In addition, the many countless other people (Eric Bott, Paul Curzan (SBPC), Frank Bez, Tom Griglock (TomTomSF) Eddie Shoemaker (BtweenGigs), Bernie Ackerman (Bernie9), Bebop, Fran In FLA, the list goes on & on. Of course I can't forget our forum administrater: Nigel, & his wife Kerry. It was a an honor to not only meet them in person, but to play (jam) with Nigel at our Synthzone gathering in San Jose last year. We had a blast! I continue to keep in contact with them regularly on the telephone.

I apologize if I left anybody out becuase there have been just 'so many' wonderful people I've gotten to know, conversing on the phone or via internet chat, and then in person (at SZ gatherings or privately) becoming lifelong friends who I enjoy catching up with on a regular basis.

It's the "PEOPLE" that keep bringing me back to this forum year after year. Some, whom due to personality differences (I like more than others) but nonetheless, Synthzone members consists of a broad melting pot of arranger keyboard enthusiasts, many of whom I know still lurk in the background, and who I hope will finally step forward and join in to contribute their piece of the pie.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131856 - 04/30/05 09:10 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I have a Psr2000 and found this Forum by doing research on the keyboard......I always find the discussions here interesting and, lately, there seems to be a lot of discontent over what material is being discussed ( The Bar )..I have the solution to this...."Don't read the Message" and move to the next one....I think when you are open to the world, you have to expect this...
Just my little humble opinion.......
btw,this is a GREAT Forum

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#131857 - 04/30/05 10:45 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
I came here during 1999 looking for a new home because of the dissatisfaction many of us were enduring at the Technics Forum provided by Technote in the UK. I learned about this forum, about Nigel and that there was an unused forum for Technics. I asked Nigel if it would be ok if I convinced all our Technics members to come here and use this forum. I actually had been operating a forum by email and it was becoming increasingly difficult because so many members were joining my email effort that it was generating hundreds of emails every day.
Nigel encouraged me to bring everyone here and for us to use this Technics Forum and then to my amazement he also made me the moderator.
I did not have any experience as a moderator other then my Chat Room on IRC where I had about 100 plus members for several years. I made a valiant effort at moderating this Forum for a couple of years but ultimately begin to recognize my failings due to my temperament, and incompatibility with some of our members.
However instead of getting mad, deleting all my posts and moving on, I stayed on as a member and made an effort to mend fences with some of the hostile members. I am not sure how well I have succeeded at this, but I continue to work at it.
I continue to be a member of the Technics Forum as I still have three Technics Keyboards.
A couple of years ago I bought a Yamaha 9000 keyboard and begin to become active in this GA forum as I could discern that it was mostly a Yamaha Forum. I was gradually accepted here and became an active member of the GA forum, as well as continuing as an active member of the Technics Forum.
I have learned a great deal from Nigel as I have watched him moderate these Forums. He has the Wisdom of Solomon, and always is able to do the right thing, creating very little dissension, and maintaining the status quo.
I make every effort to not post to these heated disagreements. I have come to believe that if I can not be a positive influence then it is better to just smile and wait, knowing that this too shall pass, in a few days.
It is my hope that everyone will stay with us and fit in without creating problems. Let us all work for the good of the order.
Thanks to all of your for my 6 year learning curve.
Thank you to Nigel for the great work you do here and the opportunities you affort us all for fellowship and sharing our knowledge.
Peace and fond regards to all.
Bill the Bebop

#131858 - 04/30/05 12:32 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'm here to practice my social skills and to study the interaction between a wide assorment of personalities when the only form of communication (or miscommunication) between them is the written (and often miswritten) word.

Well, not really...

Actually, the form in which you posed this subject is interesting. Being involved with Kiwanis for 30+ years, I've learned that the reason people join Kiwanis and the reason they stay are totally different... and, at least to some extent, I'm sure that's the same with many groups, including this forum.

I joined this forum only a few years ago -shortly after discovering the arranger keyboard. Actually, my very first awareness of the AK was ~ 5 years ago when I responded to a Keyboard mag ad and sent for a SD1 demo CD. After listening to it, I was certain that no one keyboard could sound that good (I was wrong) and it then sat (along with my AK interest) for a few years. Then somewhere in 2002 I learned that the AK was the real thing and I was hooked (tho slow). Realizing that I had a quantum leap, like maybe 25+ years, of technology to catch up on, I spent hours at Borders reading music mags and of course found this forum to be an absolute wealth of information. I am so grateful of it's existance and the amount of help I have received from so many here.

What keeps me here is of course all the above, plus the friendships I've made, both virtual and real, PLUS some of the interesting interactions that go on here... and I don't mean the petty negative stuff. But rather some of the many colorful, off the wall, and tounge-in-cheek stuff I've seen from Boo, DNJ, Scott, UD, and others. So many times it's been real LOL stuff. Definitely both an educational and fun place to be for me.

BTW, Scott... since I'm a Mavis Becon dropout, I've had to spend lots of time on my post here, and I promise I'll quit if you delete this thred.

Glenn

#131859 - 04/30/05 02:31 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Came to the "zone" in 2002 (data lost in the "crash" says I joined in early 2005), for two reasons:
* First was academic. I was doing research for a class I periodically teach in Interpersonal Communications at the University Level (Comm 252). I was researching the differrence between the dynamics of virtual vs. real vested interest group cultures.

* 2nd, I was wanting to keep up with technology and performance aspects of the "arranger" business. I started using arrangers in 1994.

It's interesting that someone mentioned the Kiwanis club. Sadly, all civic groups are struggling to survive. It appears that long-term relationships and mutual commitments are not as strong as in the past. The group dynamics have changed. Part of it is age related, and part is cultural.

This is a strong group, and my interest and appreciation has progressed far beyond the academic.

You folks are important to me.

Regards to all,

Russ

#131860 - 04/30/05 06:00 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hello to all....I'm a singer for over 40 years and I joined this forum in Nov of 2004 when I decided to buy a K/B and learn to play to be able to accompany myself because where I am, there are no musicians that I can use or count on. I first bought a new Psr 2100 and came to this and other forums to
get help and knowledge on learning to play it
while here,I had discovered everyone's feelings on the Psr 3000 and I had the opportunity to buy a slightly used one from a board member, now I have them both but, I also had a chance to hear the Tyros and thought Wow..this is what I need...so I ended up buying a slightly used Tyros also from a board member...I expect it to be here by the end of the first week of May....
Why am I here, TO LEARN...think about it... with all of this talent here, hell I should be playing like a pro in no time at all...
secondly, you are all a great bunch of guys
and gals that want to help and I enjoy interacting with you....I'm hoping that we can do a SOUTH OF THE BOARDER JAM next year and have a real kick a$$ jam in Mexico...you guys and gals are the best....thanks to all of you for
letting me participate in your forum.....
Tony Rome

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131861 - 04/30/05 06:10 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
zuki Offline

I found this forum for 'help' on various arrangers I had purchased. But time and job has taken me away from the toys. I still enjoy checking in with the family per se, and always will.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#131862 - 05/01/05 02:38 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I come and read every day the most topics,since the technics canada forum went away.

Best Regards
Arno,

Of course from the Netherlands

#131863 - 05/01/05 02:54 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Scott and All
Interesting thread!
I had to look up my profile to see who I am (comes with age, you know) and it said I joined 03-21-2002. Strange, didn't know there were more than 12 months ***, must have been the 3rd of something in 2002 anyway. . Why did I come here? I cannot remember but I will be eternally grateful to Fate for the introduction to a Forum I have liked ever since I arrived here. The members are the kind of people I can relate to, basically music-lovers of course but also people who have a great love of Life and all the tricks it sometimes plays. What has kept me coming every day (yes,every day)is not just the music knowledge but also the humanity of most of the members. Where else do you find global concern when one of the members reports a problem with his health?Lots and lots of messages from well-wishers when the bodily functions sometimes cause concern and we need a helping word or two. Yes, the OT's of this Forum are just as important to most of us !
One of the real joys for me also is to be able to HEAR some of our members in song. What a joy to put a voice to a name in the memory banks. We have some top class artists on our members list and that makes it all the more enjoyable to me. Even my wife , who happened to hear one of Don Mason's songs I was playing and liked it so much ,she wanted a song dedicated to her live on one of his gigs!(in spite of the fact that we are several thousand miles away here in UK) Don duly obliged and the MP3 he sent over to us was a really great thrill for her dedicated to "Eddie's wife" (sorry I forgot to tell Don her name )
I could write much more about the pleasure we get from the Forum and there are lots more I would like to thank by name. Suffice it to say that I love you all my friends and long may I be able to call myself a 'member' of this club.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#131864 - 05/01/05 04:35 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Roel Offline

Like Scott I was a member of the Technics Canada Forum (greatwestmusic.com).
In June 1999 I found this forum and never left. For me the forum is a great place to be because of the fantastic 'family' of members and the knowledge they (we) have.
Wherever I can I try to help, like the most of us do.
I daily visit a couple of times.

Nigel does a great job running this forum... thanks Nigel !
Can you produce statistics about the number of visits per day?

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 05-03-2005).]

#131865 - 05/01/05 07:19 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I think I first found my way here through the Yahoo PSR groups and/or SVP World. I had just sold my Korg iX300 and gotten into a PSR2000. It might also have been the korg i group forum. But anyway, I came to find out more about my 2k but found that there was much more here than just techie stuff. I stay because it's the friendliest and most active group around. I have two laptops - work and hoome - and one or the other is usually a click away from the SZ.

Even though arranger playing is only a small part of my music work, knowing what is new and keeping up on the latest gossip is great fun for me.

#131866 - 05/01/05 07:55 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The Devil made me do it.

After getting a PSR 9000 I, somehow, found my way to the Yahoo PSR Song and Styles groups and Simon's SVP World..pretty much like Cassp did. I learned a wealth of information about the 9000 and even bought a HD from Vince (the Music Man)Cochran. I was working a restaurant 6 nights a week and the 9000 was great for that job. But, after a year, the restaurant was sold and it was time to seek new horizons and lighter gear.

Enter the Devil. Don Mason. (Well, maybe not a devil, but definately devilish.)

Our life experiences were very similar. So, when he said SynthZone was a one of his favorite forums, I had to check it out. And, I am so glad I did. It has only cost me about ten thousand dollars.

I went from the 9000, to the 740, then two 2000's, a 3000, two JBL 15s, the Bose PAS and assorted other gear.

While members here at the Zone taught me a lot about the gear, they also kept me humble in that the more I learned the more I found out there was to know.

In the process, some genuine friendships were formed. Several members have been down my way to visit and there have been some pleasant phone chats across the country. (If my line is busy...you can blame Gary. ).

Information, files, gear and humor have been shared over the last couple of years...making the Zone a place I have to check daily. Thanks Nigel.

Eddie

#131867 - 05/01/05 09:18 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I owned a Yamaha DX7 and a Roland MT32, all rather old stuff, and wanted to get back into muscimaking, but what hold me back was ... accompaniment. I didn't like arrangerkeyboards untill I heard about the Tyros. There were perfect demos on the net and I fell in love with the sound. But I knew nothing about arranger keyboards. So searching the internet I came to this forum.
I stayed some time because I was not in a hurry to buy it and besides I thought I should start with a cheaper keyboard to find out if I really wanted this. So I listened to the PSR2000 and I didn't feel it was very bad to start with. Like the information about the Tyros, I came to the forum to find everything out about the PSR2000. When I already had the money in my pocket to buy it I heard about the PSR3K and decided it was worth waiting for. And again I relied on the forum.

Now I have the PSR3K and I don't come to the forum as much as I used to. But now it has become a habit to go to this forum once in a while.
Like right now.
drdalet

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 05-04-2005).]

#131868 - 05/02/05 07:44 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
At the beginning of 2003 I wanted to change my Roland VA-7 for a Tyros or a 9000Pro, and I find great info and support here.

I bought the 9000Pro of an incredible SZ´s member, Francisco Albuquerque - "Chico Brazil". I flew until Belo Horizonte, distant about 450 miles from São Paulo, to get my new keyboard and watch the Chico´s show, "Bossa in Concert". There I knew other incredible member of SZ, Andrea Rotolo - "Dreamer". He flew from Rome, Italy, to play in Brazil only for pleasure.

This kind of thing only happens in this Forum.

I don´t write that often (because my bad English) but I read almost daily the most interesting topics.
There are amazing people in Synthzone General Arranger Keyboard Forum.

Thanks and regards to all.
Armando

#131869 - 05/02/05 09:56 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I came here with BeBop when the old technics forum became 'censorville' ... maybe that's why I don't mindOT discussions ...
t.

#131870 - 05/02/05 10:22 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I came here with BeBop when the old technics forum became 'censorville' ... maybe that's why I don't mindOT discussions ...
t.

Myself I came before that, 1999 or so under another nick, but it was when I created my first website and started add stuff regarding Technics. Lost the password etc, in a PC crash, and created this one in 2001 I think.

Who knows Tony, maybe this place would be "cencorville" as well if we start act like the way who made Technote close the board?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#131871 - 05/02/05 12:24 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by SD_FAN:
I don´t write that often (because my bad English) but I read almost daily the most interesting topics.

Hi, Armando! I think your english is very good...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-02-2005).]

#131872 - 05/02/05 12:40 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Thanks Sheriff, but I spend hours to write some lines. For larger texts, my wife helps me.

Cheers.
Armando

#131873 - 05/02/05 01:08 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
t.

... and I STAY here because of all of YOU !!! ....
t.

#131874 - 05/02/05 01:10 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
It was Google, what else could it be !

There are lots of eyes and ears that helped me findout the latest and greatest arranger keyboard out there. Plus some helps if I need one. Without this place, I would be kind of lost my bearing in the arranger world. It's like living without a God's guidance and protection. BTW there is a real God out there.

#131875 - 05/02/05 03:10 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I don't recall how I found this. An online link maybe or a search engine. There is a lot of knowledge here. I play guitar. Arranger keyboards, heck, keyboards in general, are new to me. I don't play very well, been at it (keys) two or three years. Even the lesser models are amazing machines. It blows my mind. There is much to learn. It's actually quite overwhelming but I'm getting around pretty good now. But learning all you can do, it's quite a task.

There are many wonderful people on here. And always some who put you down. If possible, I do try to find an answer before I ask it on here. Besides, questions help everyone.

After I was on here, I recognized DonM as someone I met years ago and found out I am 20 miles from him. He and many others have been very helpful.

Online forums are amazing sources of knowledge. Every once in awhile, I help someone.

#131876 - 05/02/05 03:21 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I came, like many others, when Technics Canada shut down. It was June of 1999, and of course it was a different format (pre-Nigel!).
It was even available in two languages, if I recall correctly.
I stay, because if I left, you animals would destroy one another within days.

DonM

#131877 - 05/02/05 03:30 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
A friend musician told me about this forum, as the only forum arranger keyboard oriented available in the net. I had just started playing regularly in public with a G1000. I visited the forum for some months before I decided to post my first message. Lots of good information and interesting conversation about arrangers. The purchase of my first real party-beast, the Ketron X4, was very much influenced by the good advice I gathered here.

Although I don't come here every day, I really like this place and keep coming here whenever I can. Why? Because of the well balanced mix between excellent technical/musical info and an interesting community atmosphere, with really interesting people (although sometimes difficult personalities ).

-- José.

#131878 - 05/02/05 04:19 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Well There I was setting in a outhouse by a Billabong in the aussie outback, when I looked up and saw the written word (FOR A GOOD TIME TRY NIGEL'S SITE) I did and the poster was correct. By the way lovely penmanship Nigel.

By the way #2 (The picture that was nailed to the wall) was that Scott Yee in a yellow wig with a OMBander?......Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 05-02-2005).]

#131879 - 05/02/05 05:10 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
Scott Yee in a yellow wig with a OMBander

Pretty cute, huh? That was actually me cousin, Waltzing Matilda, that Uncle Dave had his arm around. I only trust, now that he's now happily married, there'll be no more of THAT going on. - Scott

motto: go swimming with the fishes, get eaten by the sharks.

#131880 - 05/03/05 12:55 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
o3bor Offline

I joined when discussions about Roland G-70 started and I was interested in it.
Now I stay because I found interesting to know opinions coming from different parts of the world.
Furthermore, I like to be helpful (if I can be) when someone has a problem.

#131881 - 05/03/05 05:21 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I found this place using Google, when I was looking for a keyboard / arranger to replace my PSR 630. This looked like a good place for decent information on the subject, so I asked a few questions and got some very good answers. I've been here ever since, chipping in occasionally. I try to stay out of the off topic stuff (although I have been responsible for some such items!) and especially try not become embroiled in some of the flamier items.

I check in most days and respond when I think I've got something useful to add.

Certainly the forum doesn't seem as dynamic as as times in the past, but then there isn't too much happening in the market and we cannot just keep reiterating the same old stories, can we?

There are still a lot of people out there whose opinions I respect. I intend to continue "stopping by" for as long as I remain interested in keyboards. I hope this will be for some considerable time!

Thanks are due to you to all for help to date and help that is to come.

John

#131882 - 05/03/05 11:14 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
I am a brand new member. This is my third post. I think AJ told me about this forum six months ago at Washington Music Center when he was rocking up the place on his SD1 Plus. Then I forgot about it and found it by accident doing a Yahoo! or Google search on Ketron versus Tyros, versus Korg.
I came here because I want to get an arranger and I'm still trying to decide which one while I save up the cash.
I like it because it's informative and I even like all the drama about OT posts. I think its funny because the OT post comments are the most frequent off topic threads I've read, lol. JUST KIDDING!!
- Dan

#131883 - 05/03/05 11:23 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Dear Scott.

Long time ago, I was looking for a new kdb (Yamaha Psr 9000)and via Google I found this fantastic music corner.

What keeps me here?
People as you, my SFrancisco buddy.

Cheers
Chico

#131884 - 05/03/05 11:36 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I discovered the site via google while looking to find a review on a Casio Privia digital piano. I keep coming back because of the great input from many contributors. Scott, George Kay and Gary have been particularly helpful.

#131885 - 05/03/05 01:02 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
That was a long time ago (must have been 1998, anyway before you had to register and with a complete different layout)
I can remember a discussion from those days, uncle dave had with a guy called rasheed

Anyway I came here looking for info on the roland G-800 through a guy called chris hansen, which If I recall well, was "The" or one of "the first" initiators of this forum!
Now I think of it he might even have been the moderator?

Time flies

#131886 - 05/03/05 01:22 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
5 years ago, I was searching the internet for reviews on Ketron products as I was a very old Solton fan, Google led me to this forum where I found some excellent reviews from Uncle Dave about the X1 (Which was fairly new at that time). Another forum member (Henry) helped me buying it. Great forum, great people.

Maged

#131887 - 05/03/05 04:49 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Scott and fellow Zoners: I migrated to this board by way of Joe Waters' great PSR site. The information exchange and good natured humor are always enteraining. It's great to hear differing opinions and to discover again exactly how "human" we all are, regardless of our nationality, etc. A few minutes each day here at Synthzone and I don't feel like the "Lone Arranger" anymore.
RICE

#131888 - 05/03/05 04:59 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Its so nice to be able to ask questions and get nice, and accurate responces in less than an hour. I like being able to help other when I can too. Its sort of a help to get helped system, and it works nice. Thanks to those all that have helped me and I hope i returned the favor.

Phil

#131889 - 05/03/05 08:33 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
That was a long time ago (must have been 1998, anyway before you had to register and with a complete different layout)
I can remember a discussion from those days, uncle dave had with a guy called rasheed

Anyway I came here looking for info on the roland G-800 through a guy called chris hansen, which If I recall well, was "The" or one of "the first" initiators of this forum!

Time flies

Of all the troublemakers we've ever had, Rasheed was the worst. Filthy, vile lauguage with NO redeeming social value. Nobody has come close since! Thank goodness.
DonM

#131890 - 05/03/05 09:17 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:

Yes freddy your memory is very good seeing that that was 7 or more years ago. And yes it was Chris Hansen who was a G800 user himself. I was running a general discussion page for Synthzone.com and he asked if I could setup the arranger forum for him to moderate. When things got put out of hand I introduced this system in 98 that required registering and gave me the ability to ban troublesome users. Around 1999 Chris decided he didn't have the time to keep moderating so I just became the sole moderator.

You can see this old archive with freddynl, UD and George Kaye and more. But because this page takes SO LONG to load when it finally comes up read the postings by right clicking on the links and open them in a new window so the main page doesn't have to keep reloading.

#131891 - 05/03/05 09:41 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
Scott,

I really don't know what brought me here in the first place - I certainly wasn't "born" here (like Gary). I think probably a referral on PSR Tutorial Forum (Joe Waters' site) - but once I got here it was easy to see this was the place to be. All of the professional musicians such as Uncle Dave, Gary Diamond, Don Mason, Donny Pesche - (and others) all my idols. A community that was always accepting of others that had common interests whether or not they are "professionals"; just the fact that all enjoyed playing music, performing and most of all sharing their experience(s) with others. Not judging whether they are from Germany, Scandavian countries, South America, Africa - or anywhere else. When I first started there was not much concern regarding OT posts - which were just "extra" information items that I could read the subject and if interested I could read the post. On occasion someone would show up and recklessly bombard one of the "old-timers" about their opinions or ideas. Typically they wouldn't be around long because our "family" would, in many cases, let them know don't come around unless you want to be part of our family - and everyone was welcome to share their opinion as long as there was no name calling, dis-respect or rudeness. I think Nigel does a tremendous job running this forum - maybe something might work better at times but I'm sure Nigel will make the changes he sees fit to make. Basically,I like the forum they way it is. However, we do sometimes get newbies that come in and want to change things without first getting to know the "family". That does irk me on occasion. If they would just give it a little time they might see why the "old-timers have hung around for so long and why we get along so well. I may have swerved off your original question - but whatever reason I first came here, I will probably remain unless it really loses focus on the fact that there's alway help and friendly conversation close at hand regarding something "most" of us love. Music - playing it; performing it; or just sitting on the porch talking about it.

vc

------------------
Vern

#131892 - 05/03/05 10:44 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
DonM Offline

I just went back through the old archive of Chris H.'s page. Seems my first post was on 9-14-98. Here it is:

Posted by Don on September 14, 1998 at 09:40:39:

I have one of these that I can't use. It is really neat. It allows you to transmit lyrics from Roland arranger keyboards to external t.v. Also lets you edit the lyrics. I'm going to advertise it on Harmony Central today. Email to discuss.

This was before you had to register. I logged in under Don, Don Mason and DonM at various times. I remember reading for a month or so before I first posted.
DonM

#131893 - 05/03/05 11:12 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
fathan Offline

Loc: Indonesia
What brought me here is the search of advices from sincere people and what keeps me here is because this is my home!

#131894 - 05/04/05 06:05 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
Hey, Scott!

I don't write to this forum very often but read it almost daily. I found it when searching for info on Yamaha keyboards when I first got my PSR 530 (long time ago). I don't gig for a living. I play for fun mostly, not profit. I have (and love) my Tyros and have gained so much from this forum. Frankly, I'd be at a loss without the forum.

I'm a bit intimidated by some of the topics here since I don't know all the keyboard models, accessories, and playing styles often mentioned here. Thus I have nothing to say about many of the topics. However, I do read most of them and am learning a lot.

So don't think for a minute that this forum is losing its focus and is not important. There are lots of us lurkers (wannabees?) out here that love this forum, but feel we have very little to add. We're learning from you experts, believe me (and we greatly appreciate it)!

I do have various questions sometimes. I guess I just need to start asking.

Thanks to all the regular writers to this forum. Please accept my apology for not writing very often.

Juneau

#131895 - 05/04/05 07:56 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I do singing gigs at nursing homes using backing tracks I create myself using various MIDI applications. I did not know anyone who was doing what I was doing until I read some nursing-home related posts on this forum. Since then I have come to see that many on this board are breaking new ground. I consider you to be pioneers, since you are using arranger keyboards in ways they have never been used before. I deeply admire your attitude of doing what you know is right despite the righteous pooh-poohing of snobs who can't understand that an arranger keyboard can be a professional instrument in the hands of a professional.

I just finished sending a thankyou to Scott for his valuable advice. I extend that thanks to all of you who have shared your advice and expertise.

An example: I never would have dreamed of using a 3-piece computer speaker system like the Logitechs on a gig. Since readng this group I have bought 4 such systems and now never use anything else.

Douglas Wolfe

#131896 - 05/04/05 12:01 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I too started on the old forum. I believe I did a search on psr740 and found the old forum. I've stuck around because of the friendships that have developed between many of us over the years. I've also learned so much from the other members.

What ever happened to Chris Hanson?

Now that I know everything, and because Scott Yee snubbed me in his previous posting, I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Can't do that I'm addicted.

Tom

Tom

#131897 - 05/04/05 02:02 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I retired from the corporate world 2 years ago and took a position here in FL playing keyboard at church. So my keyboard playing went from a hobby to a profession overnight and I needed some insight and education quickly. This forum is where I found it!

I have learnt a lot since I found this forum in a Dogpile search, that has given me confidence to start playing gigs as well as my part time position at church. Hey it must have worked since I have recently been appointed Music Director when the previous incumbent left.

Thanks to everyone, I am still learning (and have a lot more to learn!)

#131898 - 05/08/05 09:42 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Scotyee,
Since you started this thread , I guess I'll address my answer to you. We have communicated in the past on a number of issues...usually problems I was having...and I suppose thats why I keep coming back...
The folks here are always willing to help out with little difficulties or advice...which is always needed from time to time.
I havn't been posting much lately but I do check in quite often...and have made some good friends here .
Now I have a question...who is the Guru that can advise me on how to get started using Cakewalk & Sonar as a Songs edeting tool....I am totally ignorant on the subjest ..starting with the basic KBD / PC hoo-up and what wxtra h'ware (Soundcard if any do I need for my Bog Standard PC.

Thanks to you all
LeoD...Stuck on a little Island between US & Europe...called Ireland.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online