SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131854 - 04/30/05 08:20 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Nigel, our moderator came into my store 1 day and told me about this forum. I visited it that night and found musicians from all over the world talking about the keyboards I knew so much about at my store and found it addicting. This was back in the days when the layout was nothing like today's post. Do you longtimers out there remember those posts and replies that went all over the screen? It's a lot easier on the eyes today!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#131855 - 04/30/05 08:50 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I was born here!

Gar, yep, I was actually around to witness your birth , though in reality, I think you're at least 'a few' years older than me, right? Kinda of a funny paradox huh?

What (to me) makes our forum so extra special is how 'each of us' brings something a little something 'different' to the table. Some people bring sneek preview 'news' on the latest keyboards coming down the pike (from dealers: G.Kaye & DanO, to European members (Notlos, etc) who often get the first opportunity to audition new kb warz), others provide technical know-how (both musical to computer): Gary Diamond who always comes to the rescue solving just about any music electronics issue to come up here, PC-computer expert Mike Sutliff (who's incidendently heads the Computer Center at a leading US University) is always willing to step in with assistance, Uncle Dave sharing his countless pearl's of wisdom; Don Mason, the forum's leading Country music expert, arr kb guitar playing expert (still gotta figure out how you do that), and ultimate Southern Gentleman, Dirk Baert (Notlos), Andrea Rotolo (Dreamer), Chico Brazil, and Armando (SD_Fan): Bossa Nova afficiandos all; Uncle Dave, Donny Pesce aka DNJ (hope you're still with us buddy), and Fran Carango, who make up the inseparable 'East Coast Boys' and always have something to share, like "FogetabouTiT!" ; JimEsh "the Pro", decidely opininated & brash, but one I have to respect for his experience & knowledge; Roel DeJonge, our man with the golden ear who can detect a pin drop with the music playing at 100db; Jose Mathias (Route66) a Portuguese math genius with a generous heart & many words of wisdom, Scott Langholff for his offbeat humor, man I never knew what a terrific player he was till I only recently finally got to hear his demos on his new website; Rich Child (RichUK) who exudes a warm senstive vocal style with kb skills to match, and who I've recently begun to work with on a live 'cross the Atlantic' co-produced music project via Skype internet phone (UK-Ca). In addition, the many countless other people (Eric Bott, Paul Curzan (SBPC), Frank Bez, Tom Griglock (TomTomSF) Eddie Shoemaker (BtweenGigs), Bernie Ackerman (Bernie9), Bebop, Fran In FLA, the list goes on & on. Of course I can't forget our forum administrater: Nigel, & his wife Kerry. It was a an honor to not only meet them in person, but to play (jam) with Nigel at our Synthzone gathering in San Jose last year. We had a blast! I continue to keep in contact with them regularly on the telephone.

I apologize if I left anybody out becuase there have been just 'so many' wonderful people I've gotten to know, conversing on the phone or via internet chat, and then in person (at SZ gatherings or privately) becoming lifelong friends who I enjoy catching up with on a regular basis.

It's the "PEOPLE" that keep bringing me back to this forum year after year. Some, whom due to personality differences (I like more than others) but nonetheless, Synthzone members consists of a broad melting pot of arranger keyboard enthusiasts, many of whom I know still lurk in the background, and who I hope will finally step forward and join in to contribute their piece of the pie.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131856 - 04/30/05 09:10 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
I have a Psr2000 and found this Forum by doing research on the keyboard......I always find the discussions here interesting and, lately, there seems to be a lot of discontent over what material is being discussed ( The Bar )..I have the solution to this...."Don't read the Message" and move to the next one....I think when you are open to the world, you have to expect this...
Just my little humble opinion.......
btw,this is a GREAT Forum

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#131857 - 04/30/05 10:45 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
I came here during 1999 looking for a new home because of the dissatisfaction many of us were enduring at the Technics Forum provided by Technote in the UK. I learned about this forum, about Nigel and that there was an unused forum for Technics. I asked Nigel if it would be ok if I convinced all our Technics members to come here and use this forum. I actually had been operating a forum by email and it was becoming increasingly difficult because so many members were joining my email effort that it was generating hundreds of emails every day.
Nigel encouraged me to bring everyone here and for us to use this Technics Forum and then to my amazement he also made me the moderator.
I did not have any experience as a moderator other then my Chat Room on IRC where I had about 100 plus members for several years. I made a valiant effort at moderating this Forum for a couple of years but ultimately begin to recognize my failings due to my temperament, and incompatibility with some of our members.
However instead of getting mad, deleting all my posts and moving on, I stayed on as a member and made an effort to mend fences with some of the hostile members. I am not sure how well I have succeeded at this, but I continue to work at it.
I continue to be a member of the Technics Forum as I still have three Technics Keyboards.
A couple of years ago I bought a Yamaha 9000 keyboard and begin to become active in this GA forum as I could discern that it was mostly a Yamaha Forum. I was gradually accepted here and became an active member of the GA forum, as well as continuing as an active member of the Technics Forum.
I have learned a great deal from Nigel as I have watched him moderate these Forums. He has the Wisdom of Solomon, and always is able to do the right thing, creating very little dissension, and maintaining the status quo.
I make every effort to not post to these heated disagreements. I have come to believe that if I can not be a positive influence then it is better to just smile and wait, knowing that this too shall pass, in a few days.
It is my hope that everyone will stay with us and fit in without creating problems. Let us all work for the good of the order.
Thanks to all of your for my 6 year learning curve.
Thank you to Nigel for the great work you do here and the opportunities you affort us all for fellowship and sharing our knowledge.
Peace and fond regards to all.
Bill the Bebop

#131858 - 04/30/05 12:32 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'm here to practice my social skills and to study the interaction between a wide assorment of personalities when the only form of communication (or miscommunication) between them is the written (and often miswritten) word.

Well, not really...

Actually, the form in which you posed this subject is interesting. Being involved with Kiwanis for 30+ years, I've learned that the reason people join Kiwanis and the reason they stay are totally different... and, at least to some extent, I'm sure that's the same with many groups, including this forum.

I joined this forum only a few years ago -shortly after discovering the arranger keyboard. Actually, my very first awareness of the AK was ~ 5 years ago when I responded to a Keyboard mag ad and sent for a SD1 demo CD. After listening to it, I was certain that no one keyboard could sound that good (I was wrong) and it then sat (along with my AK interest) for a few years. Then somewhere in 2002 I learned that the AK was the real thing and I was hooked (tho slow). Realizing that I had a quantum leap, like maybe 25+ years, of technology to catch up on, I spent hours at Borders reading music mags and of course found this forum to be an absolute wealth of information. I am so grateful of it's existance and the amount of help I have received from so many here.

What keeps me here is of course all the above, plus the friendships I've made, both virtual and real, PLUS some of the interesting interactions that go on here... and I don't mean the petty negative stuff. But rather some of the many colorful, off the wall, and tounge-in-cheek stuff I've seen from Boo, DNJ, Scott, UD, and others. So many times it's been real LOL stuff. Definitely both an educational and fun place to be for me.

BTW, Scott... since I'm a Mavis Becon dropout, I've had to spend lots of time on my post here, and I promise I'll quit if you delete this thred.

Glenn

#131859 - 04/30/05 02:31 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Came to the "zone" in 2002 (data lost in the "crash" says I joined in early 2005), for two reasons:
* First was academic. I was doing research for a class I periodically teach in Interpersonal Communications at the University Level (Comm 252). I was researching the differrence between the dynamics of virtual vs. real vested interest group cultures.

* 2nd, I was wanting to keep up with technology and performance aspects of the "arranger" business. I started using arrangers in 1994.

It's interesting that someone mentioned the Kiwanis club. Sadly, all civic groups are struggling to survive. It appears that long-term relationships and mutual commitments are not as strong as in the past. The group dynamics have changed. Part of it is age related, and part is cultural.

This is a strong group, and my interest and appreciation has progressed far beyond the academic.

You folks are important to me.

Regards to all,

Russ

#131860 - 04/30/05 06:00 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hello to all....I'm a singer for over 40 years and I joined this forum in Nov of 2004 when I decided to buy a K/B and learn to play to be able to accompany myself because where I am, there are no musicians that I can use or count on. I first bought a new Psr 2100 and came to this and other forums to
get help and knowledge on learning to play it
while here,I had discovered everyone's feelings on the Psr 3000 and I had the opportunity to buy a slightly used one from a board member, now I have them both but, I also had a chance to hear the Tyros and thought Wow..this is what I need...so I ended up buying a slightly used Tyros also from a board member...I expect it to be here by the end of the first week of May....
Why am I here, TO LEARN...think about it... with all of this talent here, hell I should be playing like a pro in no time at all...
secondly, you are all a great bunch of guys
and gals that want to help and I enjoy interacting with you....I'm hoping that we can do a SOUTH OF THE BOARDER JAM next year and have a real kick a$$ jam in Mexico...you guys and gals are the best....thanks to all of you for
letting me participate in your forum.....
Tony Rome

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 04-30-2005).]

#131861 - 04/30/05 06:10 PM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
zuki Offline

I found this forum for 'help' on various arrangers I had purchased. But time and job has taken me away from the toys. I still enjoy checking in with the family per se, and always will.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#131862 - 05/01/05 02:38 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
Impuls Online   content

Loc: Netherlands
I come and read every day the most topics,since the technics canada forum went away.

Best Regards
Arno,

Of course from the Netherlands

#131863 - 05/01/05 02:54 AM Re: What brought you to the SZ Gen Arranger Forum and What KEEPS you here?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Scott and All
Interesting thread!
I had to look up my profile to see who I am (comes with age, you know) and it said I joined 03-21-2002. Strange, didn't know there were more than 12 months ***, must have been the 3rd of something in 2002 anyway. . Why did I come here? I cannot remember but I will be eternally grateful to Fate for the introduction to a Forum I have liked ever since I arrived here. The members are the kind of people I can relate to, basically music-lovers of course but also people who have a great love of Life and all the tricks it sometimes plays. What has kept me coming every day (yes,every day)is not just the music knowledge but also the humanity of most of the members. Where else do you find global concern when one of the members reports a problem with his health?Lots and lots of messages from well-wishers when the bodily functions sometimes cause concern and we need a helping word or two. Yes, the OT's of this Forum are just as important to most of us !
One of the real joys for me also is to be able to HEAR some of our members in song. What a joy to put a voice to a name in the memory banks. We have some top class artists on our members list and that makes it all the more enjoyable to me. Even my wife , who happened to hear one of Don Mason's songs I was playing and liked it so much ,she wanted a song dedicated to her live on one of his gigs!(in spite of the fact that we are several thousand miles away here in UK) Don duly obliged and the MP3 he sent over to us was a really great thrill for her dedicated to "Eddie's wife" (sorry I forgot to tell Don her name )
I could write much more about the pleasure we get from the Forum and there are lots more I would like to thank by name. Suffice it to say that I love you all my friends and long may I be able to call myself a 'member' of this club.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online