SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13172 - 02/28/02 09:00 AM WK-1800
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
Hi to all of you,
Just found my way to your site, I am thinking of buying the WK-1800 keyboard, can anyone tell me if the tones are programable and can be saved to floppy disk?
also can you inport rythmes from floppy? and are there any third party one that you can purchase? I have a Technics keyboard at the moment but like the look of the 1800, any help please.
Thanks Mike

#13173 - 03/05/02 06:15 PM Re: WK-1800
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I don't have the answer but if you post the question on the General arranger forum I'm sure someone over there might have it.

korg AJ

#13174 - 03/06/02 07:09 AM Re: WK-1800
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Hello Mike,

The tones can be edited with the onboard minimal set of synth tools, and saved to the floppy.
The styles and rhythms can also be edited and similarly saved to disk.

I remember that there are 32 onboard user storage locations for sounds, and 10 user styles/rhythm patterns.

There is a conversion utility on the wk1800's factory floppydisk that's supposed to convert Roland and Technics styles, but I never got around to testing that before gifting it.

The WK is an amazing value for a 76 note keyboard with disk, but there are several important limitations:

no tap tempo

no incoming sysex storage to the internal disk (it sends a bulk dump, and will receive one meant for itself - but the floppy is useless as a midi data filer - weird)

Will play Standard MIDI Files (SMF0 only) from the disk drive, but will NOT save sequences as a SMF

Sequencer is not even slightly user-friendly, and is mainly useful as a scratchpad single track recorder.

The WK sounds very good with the onboard speakers, and the large display and excellent control panel make playing the board very easy.
The Soundset is General MIDI, and sounds like GM, but there are some excellent factory sound combinations above #130 that make the instrument useful.

Hope this helps.

tommyde

#13175 - 03/31/02 07:24 AM Re: WK-1800
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
Hi
Thank you for the replys, sorry I never got back to you before now, have been off line for a while, bought a new hard-drive and win xp got it all going with a bit of help.
I have bought the Casio WK 1800 it is good for the money, have also bought Band in a box just starting to get to use it,not quite sure what Im doing but it keeps me busy.
Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online