SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131274 - 10/07/05 12:46 PM Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Dnj Offline

Ive been listening to some of these styles although most sound ok.....Im starting to feel that they are becoming to fluffy defeating the purpose of sounding like a REAL LIVE BAND because the KB is playing more then I am....[I hope Im making sense?]...when your sitting there playing by yourself & people look and listen in disbelief......I somtimes get an awkward feeling as if people are saying to themselves hes not really playing....many time I just simplify the style parts and weed out the fluff to make simpler and more like a band would sound vs the full Philamonic orchestra....after while this can make many players rely on styles more then the talent of playing.Id really like to be look upon as a pro musician first not a suedo DJ/Computer Controller/who is he kidding artist? Whats your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2005).]

#131275 - 10/07/05 12:53 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I think your correct but like you said, the main parts like solos or trills or what have you that stick out seem to grab the attention.

Also maybe 5 to 10 years ago is was like he can't be doing all that, but now I think it's expecting with the way technology has gone

#131276 - 10/07/05 01:17 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, DNJ. My answer is to simplify...eliminate the busy parts and play "live" as much as I can. Halfthe time I use drums only and play left hand on a Hammond XB-2.

"old school" Russ

#131277 - 10/07/05 01:21 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
If you can't "sound like the record",,,people think you are not very good...Sound like the record,,,and you are the "best they ever heard".....If you use No sequences , you will not get the top jobs[clubs]..If you use arrangers properly, you have a shot...If you rely exclusively playing left hand bass and comping with the right hand...you better be in an easy going venue, because you can't hold the job like we did 20 years ago..

We have the technology...use it..MP3's sequences or arrangers..

#131278 - 10/07/05 01:32 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What Fran said!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131279 - 10/07/05 01:39 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
If you can't "sound like the record",,,people think you are not very good...Sound like the record.....

Sound Like the record........and to the audience your just a DJ..
simplify the fluffy Styles, & the SMF's...play & sing your heart out on top of that, do it your way, but DO IT GOOD ! ...& you & your audience will love what your doin, somtimes less is more

#131280 - 10/07/05 01:43 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Busy styles can really get in the way of playing. They start to sound un-natural after a while. Eventually you feel like you're competing with your own keyboard.

squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#131281 - 10/07/05 01:49 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
You guys are so right and unfortunately it's more along the lines of how you can incorporate the technology and sounding like the record as to a couple of years ago when it really mattered how good a musician you are.

I have 2 gigs this weekend and I think at least half of the 1/3 will be midi files, 1/3 will be MP3's and the other third will be arranger.

#131282 - 10/07/05 02:08 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
That is what I love about my Korg PA-80 as opposed to my Tyros. Imho the Korg sounds much like 4 musicians just sitting around playing/jamming.

Korgs drums sound acoustically realistic. To me Korg leaves in a little roughage. The Yamaha sound is highly polished or bordering on overproduced. But that's just my opinion.

Regards,

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 10-07-2005).]

#131283 - 10/07/05 02:13 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianodano:
That is what I love about my Korg PA-80 as opposed to my Tyros. Imho the Korg sounds much like 4 musicians just sitting around playing/jamming.

Korgs drums sound acoustically realistic. To me Korg leaves in a little roughage. The Yamaha sound is highly polished or bordering on overproduced. But that's just my opinion.

Regards,

Danny

Danny I have to agree with you there .....
the SD-1 & Korg arranger units really give that live sound...gives you as a player a different feeling like the boyz in the band are right next to ya

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2005).]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online