SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#131324 - 10/11/05 08:34 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Styles with lotsa fluff are great. I view all styles as being designed for many and varied uses, so I try and use them, for instance take loungepiano style with a great grand intro. mute the grand and play it yourself, then play the ending. actually listen to all the style parts, mute out everything that sounds phony to the piece your playing, some tunes I do may have 3 or 4 tracks or more, muted. save to regs.
These styles in my opinion can be changed around so many ways that they give lots of mileage for many songs. I'm glad they have lots of options, I think they were made that way to give the player options.
I even have taken out the organ and flugel horn and come up with a great country style he he....

Tony: you got something that yam,korg,roland etc can't duplicate "a lovely human voice"

Musician's---The guy in front of the band with the little stick "musician"

The guy/gal in front of the mike "musician"

The guy behind the mixer making the music sound good "musician"

Musician in my dictionary is anyone who is pedaling music for money......

Kachink---Kachink....Pose

#131325 - 10/11/05 10:18 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Thanks Pose...It's great to hear it coming from you and folks like you.....
Tony Rome

#131326 - 10/11/05 10:51 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
While I'm waiting for my new Tyros2, I thought I'd join the topic about "fluffy styles" and who's really a musician. I like styles. That's what I use as a basis for writing and performing original music (lots of respect for folks who perform all the classic songs; I used to do it myself years ago and may do it again). I think of myself as an "arranger"-type player; i.e., I play full chords with my left hand and comp along with my right. I believe if you play aggressively and competently with you right hand, people get the point. Sometimes, I even explain about backing rhythm tracks if someone asks "where'd those horns come from." Also, I do turn off tracks sometimes if simple sounds better, but I'm not afriad to let the styles go. Like I said. . .it's what I do. I play songs based on Yamaha or other styles, tweaked to suit me. Sometimes when I wonder if this is faking it somehow, I remember all those times of playing with some guy hacking on an out of tune guitar or banging away on a drum kit without a clue. Thanks again to Synthzone for several years of great info as a lurker.
Peace out, DerfM

#131327 - 10/12/05 08:46 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I think that Pose summed up this debate quite well.

You can always take out the parts of a style that you don't like or are unneccessary but unless you have a lot of time and are pretty good at it then it isn't quite so easy to include them if they are missing in the first place.

When I gig with the Tyros I use a set of registrations that generally have some parts muted as well as reducing reverb levels and increasing some drum parts to give a more live sound.

One of the main ones is the string/pad sounds that tends to play all the time which leaves less space for your vocals and chops. If I didn't do this then there is too much samieness in the sound (is that really a word?).

However, when I play for my own amusement I sometimes copy parts from one style into others and that is really the extent of my style creating abilities - but the more parts you have the more combinations you have.

Regards - Keith

#131328 - 10/12/05 09:37 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
You can always take out the parts of a style that you don't like or are unnecessary . . . the more parts you have the more combinations you have.

Keith, I concur. Though I too use registrations to store a number of my custom song arrangements, I prefer the much quicker song organization & retrieval system : the MusicFinder. The difference between calling up songs from MusicFinder vs REG is that, instead of creating a registration file, you must store your EDITED (and renamed) style in USER MEMORY. Unfortunately with Tyros1, this space is limited to less than 3.3 MB. With Tyros2, you're now able to call up custom styles from remote USB Memory Stick giving you virtually limitless custom style storage space which can be accessed by MusicFinder. This means, for the FIRST time, you can have a custom style for every song in your repertoire, and be able to organize, sort, and call them up quickly & conveniently via MusicFinder button. On the other hand, songs stored in REG do not benefit from the powerful search/organization function that MusicFinder provides. I find it much slower (cumbersome) to pull up a custom song in hierarchically alphabetized REG folders.

In previous versions of MusicFinder, the MusicFinder record pointer would always jump back to record #1 when you leave the MusicFinder window. VERY ANNOYING!. Thankfully, now with the Tyros2 MusicFinder, whatever MFD song record is currently selected, even if you leave MusicFinder (ie: check/edit keyboard settings) and open MusicFinder again, it REMEMBERS (and returns to) the last song you pulled up. I encourage others here fully tap the power of MusicFinder by not just relying on the MusicFinder Songs included with the keyboard, but creating your OWN MusicFinder database to also include ALL the SONGS you perform, including pulling up your own custom select styles for your songs. Music is not a cookie cutter, and I hope people will explore different styles for their songs than only what Yamaha suggests.

Scott

#131329 - 10/12/05 11:51 AM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Scott,

I did try the Musicfinder method that you outlined some while back but I thought that the disadvantages outweighed the advantages.

However, the new T2 has overcome many of these but the biggest thing about using registrations for me (and this is also true if I just use the Ketron XD3 with a lightweight keyboard) is the fact that I just call up a reg using the numeric method (I have a seperate printed list for all my songs with the number reference on it)and the lyrics appear on the screen now that I have invested time in making the bitmaps of them. If the new musicfinder on the T2 can link the text files then this is a great step forward but I'm not sure it does. Let us know when you get yours.

When you also consider that with a reg you can also store things like transpose (for songs I play in Eflat but sing in f# for example, the appropriate vocal harmony setting or reveb/delay for your voice and other different settings like a variation dsp then Registrations are for me

Also using registrations you can use your styles stored on HD - but as you say - te T2 musicfinder overcomes that restriction.

I would like to see a musicfinder function that allows you to index registrations so that you can call them up by name, style, tempo or whatever - that would be the best of both worlds for me.

Regards - Keith

#131330 - 10/12/05 02:16 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
I would like to see a musicfinder function that allows you to index registrations

Keith. I concur. The most annoying thing with MusicFinder (even on Tyros2) imo, is it won't store a song's transpose settings. Adding Reg File support is what's really needed to make MusicFinder truly powerful. - Scott

#131331 - 10/12/05 03:16 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
One of the reasons I'm going to buy a new t2 is I'm hoping I can combine Music finder and regs, I'm thinking I can set up all instrumentals in Music finder, and all vocals in regs??????? whadda you think??

The new TY2 should solve my memory/storage problem that I have with the 9000. Also it would be nice to have all the lyrics on the TY2 and do away with the laptop, Don't know how difficult this would be? Never tried to put lyrics onboard yet! Anyone doing this?........Pose

#131332 - 10/12/05 04:00 PM Re: Tyros 2 & Other KB's styles Too Fluffy & Unbelievable to an audience?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Pose....I don't know about the T-2, however, the T-1 accepts all of my lyrics with my 40 gig hard drive I installed....I
should see no problems with the T-2 doing it
Tony Rome

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online