SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131258 - 05/14/05 08:01 PM Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
Well I finally got a day off from gigging due to a last minute cancellation and made it down to Chuck Levins in Wheaton, MD USA to demo the following: the Korg PA1XPRO, the Yamaho Tyros, and the Ketron SD1 Plus and MidJay. They are all awesome but I noticed the following. The Tyros has the best display and the worst keys, the Korg has the best keys (AND 76 OF THEM, YAY), and the Ketron (in my opinion) has the absolute best "live band" sound, for lack of a better term. I think that is the most important thing for me since I want to do all I can to compensate for the lack of the appearance of a live band standing next to me.
I was also very impressed by Ketron rep. AJ's honesty about the pros and cons of all the boards. And he's a heck of a player! (P.S. Don't tell him I said this but I could listen to his carribean accent all day long, lol!)
As far as the midjay, it has all the functions of an SD1plus except the sequencer, the keys, and something else, which I can't remember. But the SD1, with all of its buttons in front of you, is the better choice for performing music live.
Now I just need to save up a little more $$$.
This is scary, but have literally had dreams about playing an arranger. I can't wait.

#131259 - 05/14/05 09:47 PM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think you're making a good choice, Dan.
You will enjoy the SD1. BTW, AJ has some souped-up ones for sale.
DonM

#131260 - 05/14/05 09:50 PM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
StPatrick Offline

Yeah, I'm really excited about it. I can't get over how good it sounds.

#131261 - 05/15/05 06:44 AM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Forgive me in advance if i'm asking too personal a question,but what is the pricing for the Ketron SD1? AJ?

I am really getting fed up with the Tyros 61 keys and the key feel. I just really can't get inspired. I too am looking for something a little more professional in 76 keys and although I've never heard or played a Ketron product, I'm starting to get curious from other owners.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#131262 - 05/15/05 08:27 AM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Retail price of the SD1plus is $3995.00 and the MAP price is $3195.00. If interested I have one SD1plus in my store with a small scratch at the back and I will sell this one with a bigger discount. Contact me if interested through my email.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#131263 - 05/15/05 11:11 AM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
StPatrick Offline

kbrkr: It is worth the trip to hear one. I listened to the Korg and the Tyros first and was blown away by the Ketron. The closest thing I can compare it to was the shock of hearing the incredible sound coming from tiny Bose speakers the first time I walked into a Sharper Image store 20 years ago. You'll be looking around the store to see where the live drummer is hiding...

#131264 - 05/16/05 01:17 PM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have GOT to go see a Ketron. Thanks for the offer George. Let me do my research and I'll get back to you.

I love this forum for this reason; it opens my eyes and ears to many other possibilities without prejudice.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#131265 - 05/16/05 01:26 PM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree, the Ketron SD-1...all Ketron products are awesome...in spite of a relatvely steep learning curve. AJ is great!
I'm disappointed that Ketron will not be at Summer NAMM.

For my tastes, the others aren't in the same league!

Russ

#131266 - 05/16/05 06:28 PM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
My Two Cents ... As I have said before I had an SD1 for two years and loved it but the G70 well ... play it with the 1.10 upgrade adjust some of the reverb settings ( TOO MUCH STILL!!) and you have one hell of a keyboard. The transition from varation to variation is flawless and ALL the sounds are terrific. Give it a try before making a decision on a KB that is Five + years old.

#131267 - 05/17/05 01:47 AM Re: Tested Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron
Andreas Pruss Offline

Loc: Germany
hi,

why not...waiting for the new tyros?
(fresher sounds/better keys/newer styles...)

...and you are able to save a little more money till the end of the year..;-)

regards
andy
www.andy-pruss.de

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online