SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#131165 - 08/31/05 10:32 AM An arranger question
Hasko Offline

Loc: Finland
I dug my 15-year-old PSR-6 out about a week ago to try its accompaniment functions just for fun to see how advanced have they been in that time in that price range. I was totally surprised how fun can it be to play with even extremely simple accompaniment and limited polyphony (4). It was so easy to just push the chord with left hand and play the melody with right.

I have been thinking to get a new keyboard for a while and after experiencing accompaning model the first time an arranger model started to interest me much.

As I said I had never tried any keyboard's accompaniment functions before and all my knowledge about them is based on what i've read from this forum and other sites in the internet.

I'm mostly interested (and know the least) in the accompaniment functions found on them. How good and useful (and fun) are they to at home playing. At least in about 1000 euros price range they must be good if people do gigs and make good sounding music with them.

I'm not willing to spend that much though. About 700 euros would be a reasonable price though I could think about investing a little more if I get much better board then.

[This message has been edited by Hasko (edited 08-31-2005).]

#131166 - 09/01/05 10:29 AM Re: An arranger question
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm surprised no one has responded. What keyboard are you using now?
Arranger's are a blast for a home player.
Yesterday I wanted to create a piano accompaniment for a song I knew. So I recorded a MIDI file, with melody and accompaniment. Then I accompanied the MIDI file while playing the keyboard as a piano accompaniment. Then I turned on the arranger accompaniment and played my piano accompaniment ,in full keyboard mode, while singing the melody. That was fun. My room mate was very impressed.
I would never buy a non arranger keyboard, unless I had two keyboards (one would be an arranger the other a Roland VK-8).
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-01-2005).]

#131167 - 09/02/05 06:33 AM Re: An arranger question
Hasko Offline

Now I'm actually using a synthesizer, Roland JV-35. Primarily I bought that because I got it so cheap. It does well everything I need when I play with a band but it's not very entertaining when I'm playing alone.

I also have an old yamaha electric organ which I mostly play at home unless I'm playing some certain keyboad parts or piano songs. (Those bass pedals are difficult to use well!)

Today I got an offer from a Korg PA-50 for 870 euros including stand, is that price good? I've read lots of good stuff about it and it seems to be the best option for under 1000 euros/dollars. I haven't had a chance to test if by myself and my primary concern is that what is the keybed like? I trust Korg sounds good.

Are the styles as good as in the Yamaha CVP-303 which I tested in music shop and it impressed me being the first good arranger functioned keyboard I have ever tested.

And again so many questions but I hope you have patience to read this. And maybe share your knowledge.

#131168 - 09/02/05 06:57 AM Re: An arranger question
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hasko,

I can relate to what you're saying. I grew up with PSR's, always used the accomp function for fun and entertaining family/friends. After I got into songwriting and computer sequencers, I sold my PSR 730 and bought a synth (Yamaha CS6x).

The synth became my sole instrument for a few years, butI really grew to miss the arrangers! The synth is great for use with Cubase, playing live with other musicians, etc., but not NEARLY as fun when home playing on my own. I find the arrangers with all the 100's of auto accomps are great for songwriting inspiration as well. I now have the synth and a Yamaha PSR 3000 and it's great.

Carrie

#131169 - 09/02/05 10:07 AM Re: An arranger question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Spend the extra money, buy a PSR-3000, and you'll never look back.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131170 - 09/02/05 10:32 AM Re: An arranger question
Hasko Offline

I wish I could but PSR 3000 costs almost twice that much what PA50 is here. List price is about 1700 euros and I think that 1400-1500 could be "real" price. I'm thinking a few hundred as a little more. So no PSR 3000 today though it must be quite a machine. Maybe then when I'm rich and famous... Then it's very rare vintage stuff though...

#131171 - 09/02/05 11:07 AM Re: An arranger question
TheWolf Offline

So how about PSR-1500, basically same as PSR-3000 but without the microphone & singing stuff. Would also be in your price range.

#131172 - 09/02/05 11:15 AM Re: An arranger question
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hasko,

Go and see there for the psr3000 http://www.thomann.de/gruppe-KYBH-2.html?iwid=9
It is priced 1490 euros

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online