SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130886 - 03/21/01 02:04 AM What is the Sequencer Timing Resolution (ppq) on the Yamaha 9000pro & Solton SD1
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi,

Can someone here please tell me what the midi timing resolution (ppq: parts per quarter note) the Yamaha 9000pro and Solton SD1 supports on their "style pattern sequencer" and "song sequencers"?

The timing resolution (ppq) affects how accurately and realistic a style/sequence will sound. The portable Yamaha QY70 and QY100 style pattern hardware sequencers support a timing resolution of 480 ppq, yet (unfortunately), most of the current lineup of arranger keyboard sequencers (Roland, Technics, Korg, etc) only support timing note resolutions of 96 to 120 ppq. A sequencer's timing is a critical factor in determining whether a style will sound realistic & exciting or canned and quantized sounding. In order to create 'even more humanly realistic sounding styles', a timing resolution of at least 480 ppq is really needed. Software sequencers such as Cubase provide MUCH higher timing resolutions (up to 15,560 ppq). I think arranger keyboard manufacters need to increase the midi timing resolution of their arranger keyboard's hardware sequencers in order to "further improve" the 'life like' realism (humanization) of their style patterns. If it can be accomplished in the Yamaha QY70 and QY100, then I don't think it's asking too much to incorporate at least a 480 ppq timing resolution in our arranger keyboard hardware sequencers as well.

Hope to receive comments and feedback on this subject.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-21-2001).]

#130887 - 03/21/01 06:21 AM Re: What is the Sequencer Timing Resolution (ppq) on the Yamaha 9000pro & Solton SD1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don't forget Scott - the keyboards have to do it in REAL time and follow the "imperfect" timing of a human! Sequencers can be more precise because the input is more controlled.

#130888 - 03/21/01 07:25 AM Re: What is the Sequencer Timing Resolution (ppq) on the Yamaha 9000pro & Solton SD1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, I pretty much always thought that 120 resolution is enough, especially for background tracks. Interestingly , I sequenced a song[ a single verse]Dance of the Comedians, a naked piano only, at 120 resolution it recorded 698 events. At 480 resolution it recorded 888 events. So I would have to agree with you , there must be a noticeable difference, showing the added events that were recorded. Fran

#130889 - 03/21/01 08:32 AM Re: What is the Sequencer Timing Resolution (ppq) on the Yamaha 9000pro & Solton SD1
Clif Anderson Offline

Not asked for, but because it was handy--the Karma (and probably the Triton) have 192 ppq timing resolution. Sequencer holds 200,000 notes, 200 songs, and 20 cue lists.

#130890 - 03/21/01 11:11 AM Re: What is the Sequencer Timing Resolution (ppq) on the Yamaha 9000pro & Solton SD1
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Using my PC computer software sequencer, I recorded and played back my keyboard playing with the sequencer's timing resolution set at 960ppq). I then lowered (set) the timing resolution to 120ppq and played back the recording again and could hear a clear difference in the recording. The recording lost some of the original spark and live human sound which I had orginally recorded in "real time". This may seem like a subtle difference to some people, but having a finer note resolution will allow you to produce more life like sounding style patterns as well. Afterall, one key element to what makes legendary musicians sound special is how they might play ever so slightly behind/ahead of the beat or subtly accent grooves (anticipations/delays), etc. This really makes the music breathe and come to life. The higher the note resolution the greater ability to capture this magic. You may not conciously hear it, but you will certainly 'feel' the spontaneous (non quantized) sounding performance which closer matches the magic of the original performance.
- Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online