SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130816 - 10/16/02 12:08 PM Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon S. on the 'Yahoo Groups: Tyros World forum':
Yamaha (Technical support) (UK) inform me that it is not the intention to have an upgradeable Operating system aka the PSR-9000. Apparently it would take at least 47 floppy disks as the O/S is much more comprehensive. Tyros is (I am informed) driven by an O/S which is substantially similar to the CVP-209 (Clavinova). It is a system which is about 18 months old. Therefore they reakon the wrinkles and
glitches have been ironed out. Yamaha may revisit the situation in later instruments when CD-Rom drives are likely to be included. I asked them whether the USB connectivity might possibly be utilised to
download direct to the Instrument. Firmly not they say. We look forward to Tyros II?

I can't believe this. I'm shocked to read that the Tyros doesn't support user Flash Rom Upgradeability, especially knowing that OS bugs are practically inevitable (at least initially) in just about all new keyboards, especially on the more highly sophisticated & complicated arrangers.

I'm amazed that Yamaha didn't learn from their major fiascal on the PSR2000: going back on their original claim (in writing) that the PSR2000 offered OS Flash ROM support. If the Tyros doesn't support OS Flash ROM upgradeability, I'll probably pass on Tyros, because I can't afford the 'down time' of having to send a keyboard back to the manufacter for OS upgrades.

Can anyone here provide more information? Your comments/opinions PLEASE.

- Scott

#130817 - 10/16/02 12:14 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I looked in George's original review and he said he did not ask about the flash rom upgrade...but thought it would. Hopefully he can contact his buddy at Yamaha and ask, because that is a major thing if it cannot be upgraded.
Terry

#130818 - 10/16/02 12:16 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
ulrich Offline

Loc: Germany
Scott,

got the info in the German Yamaha forum, the O/S IS in Flash, but the size is approx. 40MB.

It's not planned, to support 40MB via the net for personal upgrading, it's a dealer issue.

Ulrich

#130819 - 10/16/02 01:06 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Ulrich: Since many (most?) dealers (at least here in the US) aren't equiped with their own 'in house' repair department, I assume that the dealer would then just refer Tyros owners to a Yamaha factory authorized repair facility to perform the flash-able upgrade. Unfortunately this still means being without your keyboard for several days (or possibly weeks) as you wait for the repair technician to get to 'your' board. This isn't an option for gigging musicians who relies on their kb to make a living.

There's got to be a BETTER way to handle this situation. Since the Tyros already supports USB PC/keyboard connectivity, I would think Yamaha could just as easily provide Tyros owners with flash ROM-able OS updates on CD and allow them to download it to their keyboard from PC via USB. Afterall, if a flash ROM-able OS update is possible at all, wouldn't it be performed this SAME way at a repair facility? From a cost standpoint alone, it would make more sense for Yamaha to allow the end user to perform OS upgrades themselves. - Scott

#130820 - 10/16/02 01:10 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
rgtaa Offline

Right on!
40 megs is nothing to download! I'm cable and that takes 2 or 3 minutes! Even if Yamaha doesn't want to post it on their site... I hope they allow us to put it in our forums!
Scottyee ... right on! Hopefully ... there is some misunderstanding! And that it can be usb upgraded!
Yamaha would be making a big big mistake if we have to take it to repair center!

#130821 - 10/16/02 01:19 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Oh boy this isn't the PSR-2000 issue all over again is it? Anyone see if it's in the manual? You know how Yamaha is.. They'll say it is, but you'll see in small type "specifications subject to change without notice"... 40megs is a lot if it's via floppy... Smart Media I can understand that would be really quick.. Does the Tyros allow for SCSI hookup? Maybe Yamaha will be smart and utilize this for flash upgrades?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#130822 - 10/16/02 01:31 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
ulrich Offline

There is NO SCSI for the Tyros. Only possibility is USB, but what I heard, it's not full speed USB (whatever that means).

Ulrich

#130823 - 10/16/02 01:41 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
rgtaa Offline

usb 1 is plenty fast!
usb 2 is the newest standard ... and is many times faster... but ... usb 1 is fine for small stuff ... 40 megs is small stuff!
many digial camera's use usb port and it's alot faster then serial connection.

#130824 - 10/16/02 01:44 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
ulrich Offline

Probably writing the Flash itself will be the limiting factor for updating, regardsless how fast USB will be.

Ulrich

#130825 - 10/16/02 01:48 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
My suggestion... HOUND YAMAHA!!!!!! If everyone who buys the Tyros starts hounding Yamaha for an upgrade via USB... They might jump on it.. I remember me and SOOOOO many users on another keyboard forum for one of Yamaha's synths wouldn't let it go.. Finally Yamaha was sending the upgrade chips for free.. Hell the accidentally sent me two sets... Just stay on their hind ends about it... Get enough people complaining and they just may do it...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online