SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130559 - 09/25/02 07:21 AM offtopic - cdr recorders
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I'm taking the liberty of posting this here and on the technics board as I am familiar with the expertise of the members, and I wanted to make sure you all saw this .....
I am interested in purchasing a cd recorder and have seen several on ebay .... I'd like to use it primarily for coping and preserving old cassette tapes of the group I was with for many years and copying recordings I've recently done on tape.... the ones I have seen are ebay are primarily Philips (Magnavox) model #s 760, 775, 785, etc......any experience or knowledge of different brands, models, etc. you may have in this area would be appreciated .....
t.

#130560 - 09/25/02 09:03 AM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Tony: I have recently purchased a new Yamaha model called the CRW-F1, available from Microwarehouse at http://www.warehouse.com/. It's around $200. Burns a complete CD in 3 minutes or less. Really a fast CDR and has some features especially for mastering audio. Worth a look. You can also find more info on this product from http://www.yamaha.com under their Computer Division.

#130561 - 09/25/02 02:06 PM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
Roel Offline

Hi Tony,

Why purchase a (standalone) CD recorder while the (PC/MAC) rewriters are smaller and cheaper ?
A dedicated CR-recorder is 'only' a recorder without any options to improve the sound.

I have a Plextor writer located in my PC and burning is activated AFTER I did the wave-editing (mastering) of the originals.

At first I record the tape, CD or own recordings on PC.
My soundcard has SPDIF digital input/output, so a 'digital' source is copied without any loss of quality.

During recording WAV-files are created (44.1kHz stereo)
To remove noise, clicks, hum or background-noise Soundforge or Cooledit are excellent tools. All kinds of plugins can be used to optimize levels, dynamics, EQ's etc..... so the result WAV-file is BETTER than the source !!

Burning an audio-CD on PC is extremly easy... I burned hundreds of CDs (containing our own recordings)without errors. The burnproof works superb.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 09-26-2002).]

#130562 - 09/25/02 03:21 PM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
Dnj Offline

I use a PLEXWRITER 24/10/40 very fast. Under $200.00. But now they have a newer model

PlexWriter 48/24/48A E-IDE (ATAPI) drive, with built-in BURN-Proof technology, delivers exceptionally fast performance in a professional 3-in-1 CD solution, while upholding the legendary Plextor reliability.
http://www.plextor.com/

Highly recomended!!

Dnj

#130563 - 09/26/02 10:32 AM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
tony mads usa Offline

To all ..... THANK YOU !!! .... as usual the feedback is very helpful ... unfortunately, I have not yet gotten into the PC/kb software thing yet, and my current PC is a dinosaur which I can't upgrade at this point in time ..... I think the easiest option for now is a stand alone unit ....
thanks again,
t.

#130564 - 09/26/02 11:44 AM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Tony: Just FYI, one other thing you might consider if you are not going to go the PC route is a Creative Labs Nomad MP3 player:
http://www.nomadworld.com/

I have one and so do many friends who saw mine. It looks like a CD player but it is a stand-alone MP3 player and recorder that can store huge numbers of MP3 and WAV files on it's hard drive. It has a recording feature that is surprisingly good... it'll allow you to record your tapes and listen to them anywhere. I've used this for live recording straight from my stage mixer and was totally impressed by the quality. When you are ready, you can transfer the files to a computer for editing/storage. It also has a cool feature for slowing down music without changing the pitch so you can practice licks.

#130565 - 09/26/02 12:22 PM Re: offtopic - cdr recorders
tony mads usa Offline

... thnx Pro..... I'll look into that ....
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online