SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129565 - 08/21/07 12:39 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just saw the last reply before mine, Ian...

Let's be honest. How many here at SZ actually have TWO of everything they gig with? You, and who else? Darn few, I'd be prepared to say.

You have to remember, MOST of us have to pay store price for our gear, we don't get discounts for being demonstrators or dealers. Two S900's is STILL beyond the reach of many, even regular gigging pros (got a better use for a spare $1600 plus tax or shipping!).

I just get a keyboard built so well, with an ATA flight case to protect it, that I don't HAVE to worry about needing a spare!

MOST of us gigging for a living don't have two of everything. Donny got ONE SD1, Fran got ONE G70, zuki got ONE of each of his arrangers. It's a rare member here with TWO of anything!

#129566 - 08/21/07 12:43 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
--------------------------------------------
squeak is right to a certain extent. Sales numbers for Motif7's and FantomX7's are several orders of magnitude higher than arrangers, yet you rarely hear a single complaint on the WS forums about the weight of these things. Does this mean the are all body-builders, or none of them gig regularly? I really don't think so I think they have all just decided that there are FAR more important things to worry about, and are prepared to accept that any significant weight loss would be accompanied by a significant build quality and key-feel loss. And, Lo and behold! They don't seem to have a problem with it...!

Why are arranger players SO willing to make this compromise, when virtually no other musicians ARE?
--------------------------------------------

Right on Diki! That's what confuses me. You have the same age of players in pro arrangers as you do the workstations, but the issue of weight always seems to come up with the arrangers. Everything the Tyros does at only 32 pounds is impressive. When you look at what all it does do.., I think the weight of this keyboard isn't bad at all when you look at the keyboard as a whole.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#129567 - 08/21/07 12:53 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Your points are well taken, Diki.

I should make it clear that I didn't purchase an NP-30...besides being curious about it's price/value, a few friends had expressed interest in trying it, so I had one sent as a demo.

If I really like it, I may buy it.

The Tyros2 issue wasn't just weight....it was also more than I needed, and a bit too large for moving in my car.

I also didn't need the WAV/sample feature, nor did I want to need to have a HD...the keyboard action didn't appeal to me very much...I like a light action...my preference over weighted/semi-weighted.

After playing the S900, even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy a Tyros2....and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try them both.

Again, I say without any hesitation...the S900 is a terrific keyboard for frequent giggers and home users alike.

Ian

#129568 - 08/21/07 01:12 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Two S900s or ONE Tyros2....not a hard decision for me.

You say, "let's be honest"...does that imply that my statements are not?

Super tough road cases, or equipment built like a tank(with the ensuing weight penalty)...it can fail for many reasons, and if I gigged as much as`Zuki, I would feel much more secure with two S900s than one Tyros2...some clients don't understand that your gear needed to be repaired...they just expect results.

I do get a discount, Diki, but it's not as substantial as you might imagine...I'm only a spoke in a very big wheel.

What would you do if your G70 failed on the day of an important gig and you didn't have the parts to fix it?

In spite of what you may believe, a lot of pros carry spare gear(including backup keyboards)...it's like insurance.

Ian

#129569 - 08/21/07 01:20 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
MOST of us gigging for a living don't have two of everything. Donny got ONE SD1, Fran got ONE G70, zuki got ONE of each of his arrangers. It's a rare member here with TWO of anything!

I'll agree there Diki......if you take care of a Quality KB it will treat you right....yet I always have a laptop & a Zune with me for any backup that may arise on a gig...I can always run out an pick up another KB if needed without keep one in the closet doing nothing....I have never been a musical gear pack rat....I only keep what I use...the ergonomics of the KB contribute to your comfort zone also....when I had the T2 its Sharp corners ripped thru the padded cordura of my case
(bad design)....Diki makes good points on quality first...now that Im back with to a quality feel 76 key-bed between the G70 & now my Sd1+ I can never go back to 61 keys again at any weight..........

#129570 - 08/21/07 01:29 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Why are arranger players SO willing to make this compromise, when virtually no other musicians ARE?

Most likely the Motif, Korg and other heavy keyboard users are playing in a band and not alone, so there's allways help in setting up.

#129571 - 08/21/07 01:31 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I've decided I want this board. I have a 3K and a Roland E-60 for partial trade. Anyone interested in working with me?

Thanks,

zuki

#129572 - 08/21/07 01:31 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I'll agree there Diki......if you take care of a Quality KB it will treat you right....yet I always have a loaded laptop with every song I do recorded as a backing track Mp3 to sing against if needed & a MS Zune with me for any backup that may arise on a gig if the KB goes down...I can always run out an pick up another KB if needed without keep one in the closet doing nothing....I have never been a musical gear pack rat....I only keep what I use...the ergonomics of the KB contribute to your comfort zone also....when I had the T2 its Sharp corners ripped thru the padded cordura of my case
(bad design)....Diki makes good points on quality first...now that Im back with to a quality feel 76 key-bed between the G70 & now my Sd1+ I can never go back to 61 keys again at any weight..........

#129573 - 08/21/07 01:32 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Zuki:
I've got a Tyros 2 that I might consider selling.

#129574 - 08/21/07 01:44 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Same as Donny, there, Ian... I got my songs backed up to audio, and would use another keyboard.

Until Yamaha come out with another (hopefully lighter!) 76 note arranger, this point has always been kind of moot with us, anyway. My needs MUST have a 76-er (it's integral to the way I play). You give 2 1/2 octaves to a bass split on a 61-er, that's only 2 1/2 octaves left for the RH. Pretty slim. Do it on a 76-er, you still got 3 1/2 left. MUCH more usable.

Some people (especially those not playing full piano parts on a regular basis) can make do with less. I can't. When Yamaha come out with another 76, we''ll talk again...

And I though we were done with biting each other's heads off for the slightest thing... If I thought you were being dishonest, Ian (which I don't), I would simply say that. It's an expression, for Chris' sake!

And you are right... Some pro's DO have a spare duplicate of their main axe. But many, many, many more DON'T.... They've got other keyboards, even other arrangers, sometimes. But short of major touring pros (and the tour often provides the backup), I think I can be reasonably confident in saying the large majority don't. Remember (before you get your dander up again ), I am not saying that NONE do, I am simply saying the large majority don't.

Do you disagree with this? (And I won't accuse you of calling me a liar if you do!)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online