SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129555 - 08/21/07 10:10 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I totally understand the added weight and size when it's in the case. TRUST ME I KNOW THAT. A Korg M1 and Yamaha SY-77 aren't the most enjoyable things to put in a nice heavy duty case and haul around. Agian Ian, I dont want you to think I'm attacking you because I'm not. I just don't understand the weight issue with some keyboards given what all they do now.

Where'd you get your NP-30 from? It appears that many of the online retailers are sending them out without adapters here in the US. I've even heard some trying to charge the buyers extra after not getting it (like they should have)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#129556 - 08/21/07 10:14 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

Ohhh Zuki I apologize for hi-jacking your thread man. Sorry.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#129557 - 08/21/07 10:16 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

BTW...I got my NP-30...sure enough...no adaptor...still waiting for it...should be here any day.

Ian are going to use the NP-30 as a controller for the S900?

#129558 - 08/21/07 10:18 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
In Canada the adaptor is optional...I got my NP-30 from Yamaha Canada.

I guess Yamaha's logic(?) is that if the instrument can be powered by batteries, then the adaptor is considered an accessory.

My logic is that they should at least include the batteries if there is no adaptor...how else can a person even try it when they get it?

Dumb policies for sure.

The darn thing sure is light...can't wait to try it.

Ian

PS...Sorry Zuki...didn't mean to stray OT.

#129559 - 08/21/07 10:19 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

how you likin that keyfeel Ian? Different isn't it? You'll get used to it real fast.

#129560 - 08/21/07 10:22 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
squeak_D Offline

ohhhhh Zuki, not sure if you've played a Tyros II, but OMG!!!!! The key action on the Tyros II is like butter baby! The action is smooth. The keys alone on the Tyros II really are a great part of what made my audition of the keyboard so enjoyable.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-21-2007).]

#129561 - 08/21/07 10:26 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Ian are going to use the NP-30 as a controller for the S900?

I intend to try it out on the S900, but I don't plan using it that way on gigs.

It will be really cool for laying down piano tracks when multitracking a tune on the S900.

Squeak...the keys are posh...they don't reflect the price of the unit.

Now, we best stop hijacking poor Zuki's post....sorry buddy.

Ian

#129562 - 08/21/07 11:11 AM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Let me begin by saying that I gig daily with Tyros2 and have no complaints about its weight.

That said, I can fully appreciate the benefits the S900 offers over Tyros2 for daily giggers. It's not only the weight but the keyboard's dimensional shape & footprint size that must be considered as well. In this regard, the S900 has a clear advantage because it doesn't have sharp corner like Tyros2 and it's smaller footprint size meets the ability to fit into a smaller compact more easily manuveurable case.

If I did'nt already own a Tyros2, I probably would gone with an S900 for it's smaller light weight advantage and the built in 'monitor' speakers, and because it (like Tyros2) supports lyrics text (.txt) display, eliminating need for music charts/sheets or laptop/Musicpad pro display onstage altogether. If quick responsive keyboard feel is important, and your keyboard playing style includes detailed pianistic articulation, then I recommend Tyros2 over the S900. On S900, I feel like I'm fighting the sluggish non-weighted keys when attempting to play quick detailed articulated melodic passages, whereas on Tyros2, the keys respond far more quickly allowing for more expressive solo playing. The other Tyros2 advantage is unlimited new (instrument) voice expandability, especially with all the 'wav sampled' instrument voice offered from Pemo & World of Keys , and others; and the much larger brighter tilt screen, which affords improved screen visiablity outdoors, especially with an add on screen shade which can be attached to the tilt screen allowing for adjustment to keep the sun from hitting the screen. Other Tyros2 features missing on the S900 are 3 RT voices vs 2 on S900 and 3 foot controller pedal outputs vs 2 on S900. For me, a minimum of 3 foot pedal assignment outputs is essential: (1)damper, (2)fill to self, and (3)vocalizer on/off. That said, you can expand the S900's foot pedals output from 2 to 3 by purchasing a midi assignable foot pedal controller from Midi Solutions . In fact, on my Tyros2, I utilize a 4 pedal foot controller unit, with the 4th pedal assigned via midi. Here is a link to another thread where I discuss discuss the midi assignable unit in more detail: here .

In conclusion, utilize the keyboard that best suit YOUR indiviual requirements (not mine, or anyone else's), while realizing that no one keyboard is perfect for everyone. That said, let's all continue to do what we love . . . making music.

Scott

#129563 - 08/21/07 12:02 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
ianmcnll Offline

One important part of the frequent gigger's arsenal is a backup.

If the S900 will do the job, then you've saved enough money (as opposed to buying a Tyros2)to buy a spare.

A broken key or switch, whatever the cause, is not something that would be fixed right away(unless you have the parts and ability to DIY)and could very likely be a loss of gigs.

Most busy performers may be able to swing the price of two S900's but I do believe that two Tyros (Tyrii ?)would be beyond a reasonable budget for gear.

Regarding the Tyros2's action (terrific BTW) as opposed to the S900's...it's a matter of adjustment IMO....although the T2's keyboard is really nice for piano stuff.

If Zuki doesn't need a backup...then it's gonna be a T2 for the man...deluxe all the way.

Good luck on your quest, Zuki.

Ian

#129564 - 08/21/07 12:27 PM Re: Tyros 2 wanted
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Three things stand out here... The weight, the key-feel. and the sound of an arranger.

As of yet, I've played nothing that excels at all three... And for someone as picky as I am about the sound and feel of a keyboard, I have to admit that, of the three, the weight is the only one I am prepared to compromise about.

Others have a different set of priorities. But once you sit down (or stand up) to play a keyboard, it's weigh at that point is moot. The only thing that matters then is how it sounds, and how it FEELS and responds to you as a player. And THAT is the only time the audience is in front of you...

Ian has often said that you get used to the feel on a PSR... You can get 'used' to a MicroKorg But would you WANT to? If a better feeling keyboard was available with no weight penalty, I am SURE he would prefer to play something better. The fact that he even contemplated, yet alone purchased an NP-30 for home use demonstrates that he IS aware that there ARE bigger and better keyboards, and they have their uses. The fact is, the better the keyboard feel and response, the better you play. Why would anyone WANT to lug around a keyboard he KNEW he could play better on if only it had a better action?

But weight is his priority, pure and simple. And that is fine. But it comes at too high a cost for me. WHAT keybed I play on, and how it sounds are things I just can't justify giving up for the sake of a few pounds saved. I gig 7+ times a week here in season, and yes, it's a pain , but so far, not the slightest desire to get a PSR...!

squeak is right to a certain extent. Sales numbers for Motif7's and FantomX7's are several orders of magnitude higher than arrangers, yet you rarely hear a single complaint on the WS forums about the weight of these things. Does this mean the are all body-builders, or none of them gig regularly? I really don't think so I think they have all just decided that there are FAR more important things to worry about, and are prepared to accept that any significant weight loss would be accompanied by a significant build quality and key-feel loss. And, Lo and behold! They don't seem to have a problem with it...!

Why are arranger players SO willing to make this compromise, when virtually no other musicians ARE?

Just one person's opinion, yada yada yada, YMMV, Objects in mirror may be lighter than they appear...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online