SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#129223 - 04/02/03 04:16 PM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
MusiKMan,

In version 4.0 of One Man Band you can use the keys of the PC keyboard to call up Intros, variation, fills, etc. The beta test will start in the coming days. In the current version you already can play A, B, C and D variations by using the lower and higher variation keys. In V4.0 you can acces each level Fill In and Main with separate PC keyboard keys (and synth keys if you have an 88 keyboard). More then 4 levels would not be Yamaha compatible.

I assume your Korg has 61 keys, by default the highest key is the attention key. If you press this key you should see a picture of a split keyboard on the PC screen. If this doesn't happen your midi in port is not working.

Mouse click on the Sync Start button. You will see the picture of the split keyboard again. Check if the keys that you are using for chord playing are marked "chord" on the screen. Be sure that the keys for variations and intros are not mapped in the chord area. You can change this in the settings menu. By default the lowest 14 keys are used for chords. If you use 2 complete octaves for chord playing you will have to enlage this area. Be sure also to put the variation keys out of the way.

JM

#129224 - 04/02/03 04:30 PM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Thanks JM, I will try to do this tonight. Im kind of really busy tonight so, I may not. Either way, yes, I did notice that the screen changed when I pressed that last key on my arranger. So thats cool cause then I know that it does work. Im going to check it out. I cant wait for Version 4. But for now, im going to try to work with this version to get the hang of things....
So, if I use GM I cant use Yamaha styles at all? Or one can use both?

Because if you could provide maybe the option to have more variations if one is not using a yamaha board. That would be so cool.
Thanks anyway and I appreciate your input my friend. God bless you..

Peace to all,

MusIkman

Musikman4Christ........

#129225 - 04/02/03 04:37 PM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
JM, I was reading the readme of your program, and it says to put my I30 in Midi mode,
Would this be in Sequencer mode?

cheers,
Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#129226 - 04/02/03 08:51 PM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
BluezPlayer

I agree that a software arranger is not much good on stage and I know that many in this forum do gigs. But there are also a lot that just play at home and have a PC in the same room.

If you are satisfied with the built-in styles in your arranger you don't need a software arranger. But what if you want to load external styles. It's no problem if you have a hard drive but an arranger keyboard with hard drive is not cheap. Are you really going to load diskettes until you found the right style? In OMB you can browse thru the styles on your PC using keys.

And what if you have your mind set on that fantastic new synth or workstation? Are you still going to use your old arranger keyboard when you have a synth with much better sounds and much better key action?

Almost everyone has a PC with at least 32 MB memory, 2 GB hard drive and 800 x 600 pixel display. Put this specifications on an arranger keyboard and you have a very expensive arranger keyboard. With a software arranger you can get this for a few bucks.

JM

Joe,

I do all that you mention without a real time computer program.. easily too. Even though XG works does not allow for real time entering of chords, it does allow for edinting of styles and variations in real time and I can easily browse styles and change them instantly in XG works ( while they are playing ). I can easily use my arranger as the controller for a module that might sound better than my arranger rather than using a piece of software ( Midi 101 ..lol ) . In fact I used Michael Bedesem's Style Updater to change a few of my favorite Yamaha styles so that I could use the voices on the Motif with the Yamaha styles. I've also controlled my Motif with the PA80 with no problem whatsoever.

Your program is very good as a playback machine Joe. I need a lot more than that though and I still think my arranger does it better whether at home or live.
In all honesty, the one reason that I don't use OMB is that I don't care for the way it switches style variations. ( I need ALL of my keys when I play ). I think we spoke about this before. If I could change styles / variations via controller messages instead, it would then become more useful to me, particularly with the Motif, which allows for many parameters to be set and controlled by the sliders and knobs.

I find for me, that arranger styles are good to work with, but also limited becaue they have set data, so using styles in general is just one of several tools I keep in the arsenal. If I didn't have an arranger, I would use OMB, but it really isn't a replacement for my arranger(s). I'd love to see an arranger or real time controllable software that employs both mid type styles and Karma / Jammer ( based on algorithims ). Algorithim type styles can be set up so that each instrument track can vary on it's own from measure to measure.

Still, you make some valid points Joe and I think that there is a lot to be said for using software programs like yours. It really is a good program that many users would find useful. It is one of several very useful tools that you can employ Musikman. Jammer is another. The good thing is that these programs don't cost a fortune and you can demo different ones. Even if you're not an expert, you might try working with it and inserting chords at various intervals. While it may seem a somewhat daunting task at first, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that after you work like this for a while, with trial and error as part of the process, it will make more sense to you as you go and you can learn more about music structure in the process.

AJ

#129227 - 04/03/03 12:52 AM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Jos Maas Offline

MusikMan,

You can use Yamaha styles in GM mode (OMB only plays Yamaha styles).

I don't know exactly how your Korg should be set up. But every arranger keyboard can switch between arranger mode (when you use it as a stand alone arranger keyboard) and midi mode (when you use it as an keyboard controller for a connected device). When using OMB it should be in MIDI mode (or whatever this is called on a Korg). Otherwise the Korg and OMB will play each their own style.

Bluezplayer,

There are arranger keyboards and there are workstations. XG works and BIAB are virtual workstations. One Man Band is a virtual arranger keyboard. They can't really be compared.

To be able to respond to the sliders and knobs they must send midi signals. E.g if you think it is useful to have OMB respond to a pichbend with a Fill In, I can send you a beta that does that. But if you have OMB set up to do that you must realise you can't use your pitchbender any more for actual pitchbending.

The algorithims styles sound interesting. I think I will do some experimenting with that in the future.

JM

#129228 - 04/03/03 03:37 AM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Bluezplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
MusikMan,

Bluezplayer,

To be able to respond to the sliders and knobs they must send midi signals. E.g if you think it is useful to have OMB respond to a pichbend with a Fill In, I can send you a beta that does that. But if you have OMB set up to do that you must realise you can't use your pitchbender any more for actual pitchbending.

JM

Joe,

On the Motif, the real time knobs, foot controllers, breath controller, and mod wheel can all be set up to send a variety of midi messages. Any of these are interchangeable. In other words, any of them can be set up to send any specific message available on the board, independent of pitch control, so I would still be able to use my pitch bend if the software recognizes only specific controller messages.

Thanks for the offer. I'm willing to try it to see how it might work out. You can send me a link if you'd like or send a zip directly to my email address ( available in my profile ). Perhaps there are some applications / uses that would make OMB useful to me, and it never hurts to have another good tool in the arsenal. If it does work the way I would like, I'll gladly purchase a finished copy Joe.

Best regards,

AJ

#129229 - 04/03/03 02:39 PM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Jos Maas Offline

Frank and Bluezplayer, I just sent the beta versions. I hope it will satisfy some of your needs. After version 4.0 is released we must have some more discussion about algoritm styles and touch screens.

JM

#129230 - 04/04/03 06:34 AM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Bluezplayer Offline

Joe,

I didn't mess around with it a lot yet, but from the little I did, I find that the program is now is very useful to me and I'll be registering it shortly. The CC options worked fine with my foot controller from the PA80. Of course, the PA80 doesn't have a lot of control options ( although the foot contoller allows for five different parameters ). I didn't try it with the Motif yet but it will certainly work fine with all of the real time control I can add to it. It also works nice with my computer xg module and the computer keyboard. Well done.

Now .. the algorithims. That I like a lot. I wish I had your ability to write programs because my imagination can run wild with this stuff. I envision a Jammer Pro / Karma type interface that also plays midi based styles ( such as Yamaha's / BIAB ) all wrapped up in one program. I am able to do that now by syncing one program with another, but it would be great if I could do it with one program. I am waiting for Soundtrek to release their new version of Jammer, which by their own account should integrate both types of styles, but I like the way you created OMB Joe, and the interface is excellent. I think with your ability and common sense approach ( your program's interface is very much to my liking ), you could create an awesome program. Even better would be a dxi or vst version that I could open in my sequencer. ( now I'm asking a lot huh ?..lol )

Frank, I'm not opposed to using the computer and soft synths at all for studio work. There are some sounds that I've heard that are definitely better in the soft synths I've used. Physical modeling is also a tool that I am interested in, and of course I already use it with my Motif. The sax / reed / horn sounds that I can make when using a breathe controller sound real enough to fool some pretty well trained ears. That said, I don't want to bring a computer to a live venue. It is absolutely feasible, but I prefer my arrangers / synths for a couple of reasons. I want to keep it simple and have it all on my board when I play and not have to think about using my keys or a controller setup to change style variations. It's all there for me already, and while the sounds may not always be as good as some of the sampler / soft synths offer, they are definitely good enough for live work. It is more important to me to focus on entertaining my audience than worrying about what buttons to press because I brought a computer that has a soft synth with a slightly better sound, and the arranger approach keeps it simple enough that I can do that.

AJ

#129231 - 04/04/03 07:00 AM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hi Guys,
I read these posts with interest but I want to know what is average the price (all included) of a good sounding pc based arranger system.
Thank you
STAM

#129232 - 04/04/03 08:12 AM Re: Need Advice regarding PC arranger software....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
This statement buy Frank Rosenthall really get me thinking that this is the way to go: "Finally, my system sounds so good - I could not go back to another hardware based piano, guitar, trumpet, sax - you know what I mean."

What if I used an arranger to play softsynths. Wud I then be able to program OMB to use the fill buttons?
Starkeeper

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online