SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#129025 - 07/23/01 06:27 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
notlos,

'NightSax' is also on SD1's hard disk in folder 'Sound'. In fact, it has most of the Super Solo sounds plus a good Accordion sound.

Henry

#129026 - 07/23/01 06:48 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Danb,
Go here http://www.geocities.com/saxontheweb/index.html

This is a Sax forum. I don't have any idea which is the best new low end sax. I still play a Buescher "400" that I bought in '63 or so to replace a Selmer MarkIV that was stolen out of the club I was playing in at the time.

Expect a lot of different suggestions just as on this forum.

If you can get a good Buescher "400" off of ebay for $1200 or so go for it. It cost me $475 new. Selmers at the time were going for $595. I got a store that was going out of business. Buschers were maybe $525 at the time. Selmer MarkIV from the 50's and 60's are going for $3500 and up if in good condition today.

There is a remodel contractor about 60 years old I know that bought a brand new Selmer Alto sax a year or so ago and started taking sax lessons. If you have the bucks, lessons will move you much faster.

Boo

#129027 - 07/23/01 10:43 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Dom M.
I have still four Psr510's in my kb school.
Pls,give me the way to make use of this in
news yamis (9000 for ex.)
Mbr,ChicoBrasil

------------------
ChicoBrasil

#129028 - 07/24/01 01:15 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Frank,
I have downloaded your song labelled "Sax" (which was nothing else than the beautiful Georgia on my mind); thank you for your help. The KN 6500 has a great alto sax indeed and I like your expressive playing. You are a multitalented man indeed and it's too bad that we know each other just through the Internet (this applies to other members of this Forum as well; maybe we should really have some kind of annual Convention... who knows?)
Dirk, did you use the "Night sax" in any of your MP3s? I remember that John Smies mentioned a killer sax sound from the MS 100; does anyone know if those sounds (from the MS series) are to be found on the SD1 hard disk as well?
Henry01, since you look the most acknowledged among the SD1 owners, can you tell us if the SD1 accepts midi sample dump and, when sampling a new sound, does it allow (like a dedicate sampler) to layer a multi-sample throughout the keyboard with different split points? Did anyone have a chance to assess the SD1 sampling quality?
Thank you all and a long life to our beautiful Forum.

#129029 - 07/24/01 01:26 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Joe,Joey,JoJo Offline

Loc: Detroit USA
HEY GUYS

SAX HUH ?

HOW BOUT YAMAHA VL7 OR THE NEW MOTIF 6,8 ?

I THINK IT THE BEST
AND PLUS YOU HAVE BREATH CONTROLE ...

JOEY

#129030 - 07/24/01 06:45 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chicobrasil,
I'm not sure how the 510's could be used with the newer gear, except as an extra keyboard. As I mentioned, some of the old styles are very useful, but are not compatible with the new keyboards. I was hoping somebody knew how to convert them.
I suppose someone could record sequences of the styles (song format), then convert the sequences into styles somehow. I know there is a program available for the Korg PA80 to convert midi to styles, but I haven't tried it.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 07-24-2001).]

#129031 - 07/24/01 07:22 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Dreamer,

MIDI sample dump is usually machine specific, I don't think SD1 supports it. SD1 can read/load .WAV, .MSP (multi-samples), and .INS (Ketron optimized wave format) files up to 16MB. You can layer up to 62 wave files across the keyboard and save it as a .MSP, multi-sample file. For a 61 keys keyboard, that's up to 1 wave sample per key! The sampling quality is very good. It supports a XLR input and a 1/4" input.

Henry

#129032 - 07/24/01 12:37 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Good Sax huh?? I gotta go with my T3, along with the joystick I can get a true breathy sound. Just my thots!!

#129033 - 07/24/01 01:43 PM Re: The search for the perfect sax
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Dreamer,

Every one to his taste ,but in all the keyboards I have had over the years , the best sax to me is the BLOWSAX from the Solton MS keyboards. I was shocked to find out it had been omitted from the SD-1 internal sounds, but as Henry already pointed out this sax, or virtually the same one, has been included on the harddisk soundfile. (as well as the outstanding musette/accordeon sound, also dating back to the years of the MS series).
However having said all that I seem to recall that the breathy sax on e.g. the PSR9000 is also very worthwhile, and ,like I mentioned before on so many occasions, there's nothing stopping anyone from running to the nearest sax player he knows and sampling the 'perfect' sax, THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE INCLUDED SAMPLING ON ALMOST EVERY TOPRANGE KEYBOARD these days. But like I said, the solton blowsax would be among the finest sax samples that I know of..........

saluti !!!!

#129034 - 07/26/01 12:27 AM Re: The search for the perfect sax
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I think that the PSR9000 has the best sax sounds. I have been comparing the sax sounds because I play tenor saxophone myself and next week I will start to play soprano sax also, but first I have to buy a good soprano sax. At the moment I have Yamaha YTS-62E tenor sax which has a great sound and I think the tenor sax sound on the PSR9000 is from this horn. At least they sound so similar and here it is amazing how close the keyboard can come to the real thing. It is like the piano sound on the Technics KN6000 and the real Steinway grand piano.

Micco

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online