SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128823 - 06/24/06 08:00 AM OT: PC HELP NEEDED
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have been able to remove the 'pest trap' spyware that somehow appeared on my PC, but I still have this icon in the lower right corner of the screen ... it is a red circle with a white x in the center, and a box keeps popping up saying:
"Your computer is infected. Windows has detected spyware infection! It is recommended that you use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up to date antispyware software for you. Click here to protect your computer from spyware."
Of course I am not clicking on anything ... I have updated Spybot and run that, I have gotten the latest Windows updates, and I can't get rid of the icon or the 'pop-up'. I tried doing a System Restore to three different dates and each time I get a message that the restore cannot be completed.

I don't know if this is having any affect on the PC or not, but I was d/l some photos from my camera and the 'pop-up' would come up and I would close it ... later several of the photos which I did not try to d/l couldn't be accessed on the camera and said *file error*, so I am now afraid to do anything else with the photos ...

Any ideas?
thnx mch,
t.

#128824 - 06/24/06 08:21 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Tony, I had this one or something very similar. It required more than running anti-spy and virus checks. Sorry, cannot remember the NAME or the actual fix details -- but here is a link that might prove helpful now, or certainly in the future:
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_list_full.php?pageNum_Rs1=0&totalRows_Rs1=2066

If I can find something I left in my files on this one I will send it ASAP.

#128825 - 06/24/06 08:30 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Tony,
Type pest trap spyware in your goggle search above and there is all kinds of good info there about this spyware and how to get rid of it including the free programs to use to delete it.
Bebop

#128826 - 06/24/06 08:34 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
cajun100 Offline

I think it is "Spy Sheriff -- a known fraud from the Philippines somewhere. A bitch to get rid of -- but it can be done effectively. Best best search Google for "Sprware Sheriff" and follow recent links or promising titles. Exp[ect to see forum threads like THIS:
http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-spy-sheriff/

Perhaps your virus/malware checker utility has a routine to easily find and get rid of it -- but mine did not.

#128827 - 06/24/06 08:37 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
cajun100 Offline

One more fix discussion I found: this looks promising ... might be what I used (which worked):
http://www.delphifaq.com/faq/windows_user/f850.shtml

Good luck!

#128828 - 06/24/06 09:06 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
tony mads usa Offline

thnx for the quick response ... I will look into the links ...
The thing is, I don't know (although I do suspect) if the lingering 'pop-up was associated with the 'Pest Trap' or was unrelated ...
Another problem is that we don't know if some hackers might be putting false info on some of the "help" forums ... It's REALLY a jungle out there ...
t.

#128829 - 06/24/06 09:53 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
tony mads usa Offline

... followed instructions to eliminate the 'red circle' and 'pop-up'... still can't get rid of it ... also d/l and ran 'Windows Defender Beta' and it detected nothing - system is running normal - ....has anyone had any experience with "2-Spyware.com" ... or "SpywareGuide powered by FaceTime Security Labs" ? ... I'm getting so I don't trust anything anymore ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-24-2006).]

#128830 - 06/24/06 11:38 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony if you have not added any new software..go back to a previous restore point[when all was fine]..

#128831 - 06/24/06 11:49 AM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
tony mads usa Offline

Fran ... thnx, but I've tried that with 3 different dates ... apparently whatever this is won't let me restore ... it keeps coming up "Restore Incomplete" ...
t.

#128832 - 06/24/06 12:15 PM Re: OT: PC HELP NEEDED
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony:

Probably not something you want to hear..... But in the past when I've had some similar problems with one particular computer at the office I backed up all data files, photos, midis etc. and bit the bullet, then took the original restore disks that came with the PC and brought the drive back to original state it was when I purchased it. Usually you just pop the CD in make the selection to format and reinstall the OS and original software. Lots of work and time consuming, but as a last resort it is an option............and since we're getting all rain all weekend long here in Rhody could be a good weekend to do so.

BTW, I download and listen to some techie Podcasts related to PCs. There's one school of thought that it's a good idea to reinstall via the factory restore disk every year or so. Of course that advice is coming from some real geeks.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-24-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online