SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#12866 - 11/10/04 04:52 PM Midi Interface
Northerner Offline

Loc: West Coast Canada
I'm a novice to MIDI so I have two basic question. I have a Casio 1200Work Station which has general midi on it. I have hooked it up to my computer through the soundcard joystick input with a midi interface cable. I have Music Creator and also the MidSoft Recording Session software that came with my midi cable.
Question #1
How do I get my keyboard yo record into home creator program, and be able to play it on the computer?
Questions #2 & #3
Also I have Reasons 2.5 on another Brand New computer that is USB friendly. Can I and How do I plug in my midi keyboard (Casio 1200) to utilize this amazing software and it's soundbank?
If anyone can be of any help I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks in Advance

Northerner

#12867 - 11/11/04 08:33 AM Re: Midi Interface
Jim Wintringham Offline

Loc: Forest, Oh., U.S.A.
Question #1
How do I get my keyboard to record into home creator program, and be able to play it on the computer?

First, make sure your Cables are connected correctly. The cable is labled from the 'computer's' point of view...so the 'midi out' cable is connected to the 'midi in' port on the Casio. Then the other cable is easy!

The next thing needed is to 'set' the drivers for the midi ports, from within the program that you are using. There is usually a 'drop-down' option...to select the input (this allows the Casio to play the computer soundcard)....and the output (this setting chooses the 'local' soundcard, or the 'midi out'...to your Casio's midi input). If you aren't sure which driver is which...just try them out...you wont break anything.

Questions #2 & #3
Also I have Reasons 2.5 on another Brand New computer that is USB friendly. Can I and How do I plug in my midi keyboard (Casio 1200) to utilize this amazing software and it's soundbank?

There are 'USB' midi cables: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=.../base_id/100498

This works the same as a joystick midi cable, it just uses the USB port. This is handy for use with computers that don't have a 'joystick' type port. It isn't any faster or better...just a different way to the 'ports'. The same information I gave in the first question will apply to the Reasons 2.5 program. Just find the correct drivers...and you will be making music.

#12868 - 11/12/04 12:25 AM Re: Midi Interface
Northerner Offline

Loc: West Coast Canada
Jim

It seems your the man when it come to Casio keyboards and Midi and other stuff to do with Casio. I have read your posts on other site for music keyboards, so thank you very much for you advice. I will try what you said, I just wish my manual was instructive on how to get my keyboard to function as a Midi keyboard (Simple) and not go on a huge description what Midi is and how to change my advanced Midi settings.
Your information was in there but so was all this complicated stuff which as a novice sometime it is hard to see the forest for the trees. I hope I can call on you expertise again and Thank You so very much.

Northerner

#12869 - 11/12/04 11:35 AM Re: Midi Interface
Jim Wintringham Offline

Loc: Forest, Oh., U.S.A.
Your Welcome

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online