SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128560 - 10/24/03 10:47 AM Transposing a song
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi all,

Is there a particular "technique" on transposing a song on request to a different key other than hitting the transpose button ?

Most of the time, people i play with requires me to change keys but i want to find a way not to depend on the transpose button. Thanks.

Claude

#128561 - 10/24/03 11:00 AM Re: Transposing a song
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
One method is to learn chords by the roman numerals methods instead of specific chord names. Example in the scale of C. C would be written as I. G would be written as 5, Am as ii, F as IV. Once you know these numeric chords in different keys, it is fairly easy to transpose keys.
Starkeeper

#128562 - 10/24/03 11:13 AM Re: Transposing a song
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Claude,

Use the button. It's quick, easy and you can do it on the fly without making mistakes.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128563 - 10/24/03 11:35 AM Re: Transposing a song
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Though it's certainly more convenient to simply hit the transpose button on your keyboard, I still STRONGLY urge everybody to take the time to learn how to manually transpose and to be able to play your songs in other keys as well.

One benefit of transposing (actually playing in a different key) istead of merely hitting the keyboard's transpose button, is that different keys demand different hand positioning & provide varying comfort & resultant sound. Also certain keys are more conducive to playing blues licks (sliding off a black note to white) than others.

In addition to concuring with Starkeeper's good method of 'chord' transposition, here's a a link to a lesson in 'melodic' transposition:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Marble/9607/0020.htm

Scott

#128564 - 10/24/03 11:55 AM Re: Transposing a song
Scottyee Offline

Here's a SUGGESTION for learning to become proficient in transposing & playing a song in other keys.

Start by taking a simple song that you know real well by memory such as: "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Row Row Row Your Boat". Start by playing the song in the key you know it best in, such as key of C. Then learn to play it (by ear) in C# which is 1/2 (semitone) up from C. Once you master this, learn it in D, and so on to cover all 12 keys. Soon,thru practice, you'll eventually develop your ears & playing skills to transpose songs on the spot to any key. The benefits and rewards will pay off in your improved keyboard proficiency.

I suggest first beginning by just playing & transposing the melody, and then adding transposed left hand chords (with auto accompaniment) after you've gained confidence & proficiency playing the melody.

Scott

#128565 - 10/24/03 12:01 PM Re: Transposing a song
KN_Fan Offline

I knew Scott was going to answer this

#128566 - 10/24/03 12:35 PM Re: Transposing a song
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
I knew Scott was going to answer this

Yeah, I guess it's become an automatic instinctial response for me to answer being a music teacher and all.

#128567 - 10/24/03 01:19 PM Re: Transposing a song
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Scott, Starkeeper:

Thanks for the suggestions and link. I'll try to start learning that this week-end.
Those are really great tips !!

Gary:
Yes, the transpose button is really quick and easy. One of my other reasons for wanting to learn how to transpose though is I often play on a regular piano as well and don't want to feel "lost" if someone ever ask me to play in a different key

Claude

#128568 - 10/24/03 01:42 PM Re: Transposing a song
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
scottyee,your reply to this question prompted for me to ask this,a long while ago i asked you where do you set your splitpoint,and if i remember correctly it was on F#2,now since then you said that when you play a key to learn the primary chords ,plus the inversions ,now if you play with s/point at f#2 does that mean that you don,t stick to the inversion that you started,in other words because you are proffessional that you can change inversions,because you use less notes(im not explaining this very well)do you understand what i,m getting at?mike

#128569 - 10/24/03 04:36 PM Re: Transposing a song
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Another very important trick of the trade is how to transition from one key to another smoothly. For example playing a song in the key of C then on the 2nd time around playing it in key of D. Well, how do we transition smoothly in between ? I think there are several ways. The easiest is after the last note of the previous key then play the "F (IV)" followed by "G (V)" chord of the next key. Then you will smoothly transition to the "C (I)" chord of the next key. It almost always works. Anybody else got similar tricks for key transitions ?

#128570 - 10/27/03 11:43 AM Re: Transposing a song
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Nardoni2002,
Sounds like what your asking is. Would you change the inversion of a particular chord if you were in another key? The answer would be no. Actually if you want to use a minamalist approach you only need to learn one chord postion. Ex. I play G in root postion. If I'm playing in the G scale, G is played in root position. If I'm playing in C, G is played in root position. In F, G is in root. Is that your question? Did I answer it?
I have to change position on my Yamaha PSR550 when I play for example a Dsus. Yamaha thinks its a G?? So I am forced to play in root postion, so it will be recognized correctly. Does this happen as well on the PSR2100?
Starkeeper

#128571 - 10/27/03 03:25 PM Re: Transposing a song
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
not quite starkeeper,let me explain on my keyboard ,the lowest note i go down to is F2 and my splitpoint is at A#2,which i play F chord root,now if you play a piece for example in the key of AMajor and the piece started in ARoot ,with primary chords if the next chord progressed to DMajor it would be DM 2nd inversion and the next was EMajor 2nd inversion(ah now i have found my mistake)what i misunderstood was that playing the Emajor would take me past the splitpoint.it should have been EMajor 1st inversion,up till now i have been working on keys of C,F,Bb,Eb,G andD,primary chords and all inversions, i didn,t see the point of learning the keys of more than 4 sharps or more than 4 flats because most music don,t go that far,mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online