SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#128285 - 10/04/03 08:24 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John,

Take a close look at the Barbetta Sona 32C's. They're probably about the same weight as your current speakers, (36.5 pounds), but they're 15-inchers with lots of bass, mid and high range. www.barbetta.com

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128286 - 10/04/03 08:39 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Gary

I know the JBL 15's weigh 46 lbs.

I like the idea of 36 lbs speakers. I also like the price on the Eon Power 15's for $399 apiece.

Here's a good question. I see a lot of the guys that have the JBL Eon 15G2's only turn them up about 20- 25%. So, what if one uses the Eon Power 15's turned up a little more. Shouldn't they really sound about the same if not exactly the same?

OR, what about me using the two 10s and have one Power 15, G152, or Barbetta 32c? I wonder how that would work with Yamahas digital effects that go between two speakers to get a good sound? Or maybe one or two bass type amps with a 15?

I suppose in the end, if I wanted the best sound for bigger rooms with louder music two Power 15's, 15G2's or Barbetta 32c's would give the better sound.

Scott

#128287 - 10/05/03 07:26 AM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

A very wise man (Uncle Dave or Donny Pesce) once said "If you want good bass, you've gotta' move lots of air." That person was right on the money. I've tried lots of speakers ranging from high-quality 10-inch all the way up to custom-made 20's. They all sounded good, but the best bass can only come from the larger speakers because of the distance the cone travels. The Barbettas were about $650 each, and when I'm using just one, I plug both keyboard output plugs into two different channels of the Barbetta's mixer and the results are excellent. Talked with DNJ this morning and he's loving life doing the smaller jobs with a single Barbetta and says everyone loves the sound just as much as when he was lugging lots of equipment around. While 46 pounds don't seem like much to lift, when you're putting that much weight on a speaker stand, it sure gets heavy--at least it does at my age.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128288 - 10/05/03 02:02 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had the original eons(10s AND 15s) and I now use the G2 Tens, and I can tell you - the G2 is more than just a volume improvement. The tone is much better, the bass is excellent (although for really pumping dance bottom, you NEED a sub)and the size/weight ratio is fantastic.
The eon15s are cheap because the new ones are such an improvement. They are well worth $399, but if you can swing it - the G2s will perform better.

#128289 - 10/05/03 03:20 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Scott Langholff Offline

Uncle Dave [(although for really pumping dance bottom, you NEED a sub)and the size/weight ratio is fantastic.]

I presume what you mean by that is if you really want a kickin' bass you need to use the big, heavy suckers??

But here you must be referring to a disco/rock crowd??

Scott

#128290 - 10/05/03 03:34 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Scott Langholff Offline

Actually, if I decide to go with 15's, I really do prefer the Barbetta's because of weight and shape.

As long as its not a booming bass, which I will not tolerate. If I can get a nice tight bass, then I think over the long haul they are the best choice.

What about this idea that Gary was talking about, using one speaker. I thought plugging L and R into one amp still cancelled out some important digital effects?

If not maybe, I could use my two Eon 10's, with one Barbetta to start with with my new Tyros.

Yep, I did it. Got it a couple weeks ago, and have been refraining from giving any opinions. And I must say I am liking more and more.

When I have time I'll give some of my impressions of it, and also since I have a gig coming up soon that I want to use it on, I think I will have to try and shorten my learning curve regarding the things that are a bit different from the PSR2000 and post some questions. Actually the EQ thing was the 1st installment.

Best

Scott Langholff

#128291 - 10/05/03 04:11 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Hey Scott, I've had mine all of about two weeks too. And like you I'm liking it more and more.

I also wanted to mention Scott that I ditched the Road Ready Case in favor of a Soft Case. I found that after taking my Tyros on the road in that Road Ready Case that it was just too heavy. I stated it was around 40 lbs. 'empty' and with the Tyros "in" it I was looking at roughly 67 lbs. It wasn't so bad when using the castors and rolling it along but when it came to actually lifting it in and out of my vehicle and up stairs, etc., it just didn't suit me. So I sprung for an Ace KKP9 which is on order from Guitar Center. It's a Soft Case/w wheels. Here is some info about it and a picture in case you're still debating on a carrying Case for your Tyros Scott:

Ace KKP9KB Keyboard Porters W/Wheels
NEW & IMPROVED DESIGN!

Added features:

Heavy Duty Plastic Handle
1" Thick Foam Padding on Lid for Better Protection of Keys and Knobs
Rugged In Line Skate Wheels
Additional Pockets for Accessories Including an Expanded Pocket for Power Supplies and Sustain Pedals
Great New Look!
Plus - all the great features that have made the Kaces Keyboard Porter one of our best-selling products:

* Soft Velour Interior Lining
* Solid Steel Rivets and Screws
* Heavy, Rigid Padding Throughout
* Comfortable, Quilted Grip Handles
* Tough, Water-Resistant Ballistic Nylon
* Inside Support Bracing

If anybody has any first hand experience with the Ace Keyboard Case line especially the KKP9 I would appreciate your thoughts and comments about it/them.

I have it on order and it won't be in for 1 to 3 weeks so any info about it from Users will be helpful. Questions like: Does it last? Is it layed out nicely? Is the padding sufficient? Are the wheels rugged and solidly built? I would rather have a Hard Case but weight is the biggest concern. My Tyros deserves better I know but I don't really see any super light weight quality Hard Cases around selling at a 'reasonable' price and obtainable within a few days. Special Order Cases from a factory can take many weeks to months before you actually recieve them. But if there is one that can be readily obtained; I can return the Ace Case and get a Hard Case if it meets my criteria that I mentioned.

PS: Gigging is the main reason I would want it ASAP. 1 to 3 weeks is already a stretch. Knowing Guitar Center (La Mesa, CA) I should have the Ace in 'less' than a week.

Best regards,
Mike

#128292 - 10/05/03 05:56 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Mike

Holy Cow! At that kind of weight you could have been packin' a KN7000 with room to spare!!

I just ordered a KKP9. Actually I won it on ebay. Brand new total with shipping $59.98!!
These retail for $200 and most places sell them for about $140 plus tax or shipping.
And guess what? Check out the link below. I talked to Ray at Mattys Music and he said if I was outbid to call them because they had more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2562840616&category=41403

Or on the other hand check this out.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/007356.html

I was going to get one of those hard cases, but when I saw the Kaces porter on ebay, I knew nobody was going to bid except for me. Maybe later if I want a hard case, I think I'd get one of theirs because I have seen no better deal out there.

I also have the KKP7 that I use for my PSR2000. Nicely built and sturdy. Best case I had seen for the 2000.

Scott Yee has both of these Kaces cases. (echo?). It was at his suggestion I got the one for my PSR and also the Tyros. (I can say it, I got a Tyros wooooooooow!)

Another reason I went with the Kaces case, is the handle is very comfortable in your hand, giving really no stain which I have found can be quite important, especially before the job.
The only thing is the speaker holder and music rack holder won't fit in the KKP9. But, now I see there is some kind of bracket available that that shouldn't be an issue. I have to find out where to get those. Although, I may use the music rack, no way will I get that little speaker set-up to play out with. The only way I would ever consider anything like that is if I really thought I wanted one,and then only if it was the two top speakers only, with no sub-woofer. Otherwise, for me anyway, I can just take one or two of my JBL Eon 10G2's for that. Right now I'm using them as main and monitor. Should be fine unless I start playing in a big place, with a lot of people, where a lot of volume is needed, then I'll will need to check into the 15's.

Best
Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-05-2003).]

#128293 - 10/05/03 09:58 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Scott

Thanks for posting the link to Matys Music on e-Bay. That is a great price. I printed out the page and I will take it with me when I go to Guitar Center to see if they will match the price. If they don't, well; number one, their not backing their stated policy of price matching and number two, I could simply not accept it and get a full refund. Then I will scurry back to e-Bay and see if Matys Music is still offering the KKP9. Actually I will see if Matys Music is still offering them BEFORE - if and when - I get the refund from Guitar Center. Just to play it safe. I would hate to return it and then find out Matys Music doesn't have any more KKP9's. Thanks again Scott.

Best regards,
Mike

#128294 - 10/05/03 10:42 PM Re: EQ: How much do you need to change it at all from place to place?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Mike

Just curious. How much did Guitar Center want for the case?

Best

Scott Langholff

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online