SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127202 - 01/07/02 11:21 PM SD1-Should FILLs happen in the current bar only
Luka Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi guys!
There’s an issue I would like to share with you and get your opinions.
It’s about when the transitions (FILL, BREAK, TO END) should happen.
I use Ketron SD1 an its transitions work in the way that if triggered before the last beat, they play in the current bar, but if triggered during the last beat they start in the next bar. This philosophy works great for BREAK, because it is mostly used at the beginning of the bar, so if you are a little too early, you still get the break in the planned bar.
But for FILLs and TO END it would better from my experience that transitions stays in the current bar. What happens to me very often is that I press FILL just before the bar ends, I would like to get just a fraction of transition and a crash sound, but what I get is transition in the next bar, where it doesn’t belong.
I would be glad to hear your opinions, as well from Ketron users as from the others. I would like to see if I have a point here or I just have to get used to press FILL early enough.
Luka

#127203 - 01/08/02 01:26 AM Re: SD1-Should FILLs happen in the current bar only
Roel Offline

Hi Luka,

As you know I'm one of the SD1 players.
I don't agree with you this time because it will cause incorrectly unnatural played fill ins.
A fill in needs a perfectly timed sequence of events in the correct order. Even a fill-in contains a kind of "intro" and a sudden 'switch' from ordinary stylepattern to fill-in is unable to do so.

In my opinion the SD1 fill ins do what they should do.

Roel

#127204 - 01/08/02 03:14 PM Re: SD1-Should FILLs happen in the current bar only
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Yes .....I agree with Roel . The fill ins do exactly what they should do !

Are you remixing any styles yet ?

How about the vocal drum kits ? Have you found any styles to use them with ? dano

#127205 - 01/08/02 11:58 PM Re: SD1-Should FILLs happen in the current bar only
Luka Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Thank you both for your inputs!
The reason I asked for opinion is that in the past I used a drum machine which FILLs worked the way I described . I’ve got that timing burnt in my brain and now on SD1 I usually press FILL too late. I will practice!
Yes Dan01, I experiment with vocal kits, I actually replaced and use it in one of the pop styles. I also combine different parts from different styles a lot. Thanks for the tips!
Luka

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online