SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127103 - 11/08/04 07:55 PM Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have put some money away to buy some new equipment for my mini studio. But there are so many choices, that I can't possible test everything myself. I therefore turn to you: If you could recommend anything I'd really appreciate it. Please only recommend if you know the equipment personally.

I'm looking for a pair of accurate, full range, powered monitors. I'd like to spend about $US 400 on them, but am prepared to spend more (say $500) if it is for something trully superior.

A pair of headphones. I need them for recording, so something with low leakage, high comfort, and accurate sound (as I will not be running the headphones through an EQ), is what I'm looking for. I'm prepared to pay around $100 for them. Comfort is important because as anyone knows, there's nothing worse than being forced to wear uncomfortable headphones for long periods of time.

A small studio analog mixer. I've noticed that Mackie, Yamaha and Behringer all make similar mixers, but that the prices between them range significantly for what seems to be the same product. Are Behringers really that bad; and Mackies really that good? What about Yamaha?

Thank you,
Chony

#127104 - 11/08/04 08:27 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have had Yamaha, Mackie, Peavey and Behringer mixers. I like the Behringers as well as any of them and better than most. Great value for the dollar. I now have two, the 1202 FX Pro, and the 1222 FX Pro.
DonM

#127105 - 11/08/04 08:46 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello Chony:

I have test the Behringers, Mackies and Yamaha newest, the MG series...in recording and in live situations....It did impress me very much, the models are Yamaha MG 10,12,16,16fx,etc. I recomend you without hesitation....Yamaha, low price, very well constructed.....silent....great....and for powered monitors.....well, the M-audio BX8 are an excelent option and in your range too( I have a pair myself), check also de Rolands D series....Samson..I hope it helps.

------------------
mdorantes

#127106 - 11/09/04 06:43 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I use both a Mackie and a Behringer mixer and think both are of excellent quality. I don't know why there is such a price gap, but both perform equally excellently. Right now I'm looking at adding the new Alesis USB8M mixer to add to my mini studio. It has 4 XLR channels, 8 in all. Full in/out with USB connectivity to computers and DSP FX ($149). It seems solid and the saleman at GC said he was impressed with it so far.

As for headphones, I prefer and use a couple different Sony MDRs.

#127107 - 11/09/04 07:36 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I carry all these brands at my store and here is some more information for you and everyone else.
Several years ago, Mackie Mixers were made in the USA. Yamaha mixers were made in Japan. Alesis Mixers were made everywhere. Behringer mixers, although people thought were made in Germany, have always been made in China.
Behringer started killing everyone with their good quality, low cost mixers.
Today, everyone makes their mixers in China!
and.....the quality is great in all of them. Behringer seems to be the most aggressive in pricing, dropping their prices whenever another company comes out with some new models which compete with the Behringer line.
Behringer now has the 802 mixer selling for $49.00 map and their 1202FXPRO with a map of $149.00. The 802 is perfect for small keyboards and mic's when effects are not needed, and the 1202 adds all the Reverb, Echo, chorus, flanger, phase shifters, etc. if needed.
The new Alesis with the USB is also very good with a price of $149.00, but I like the mic preamps slightly better on the behringer.
Yamaha mixers are a bit larger and have many less effects choices then the comparable Behringers, but for those feeling more comfortable with the name value, another good choice.
As to your choice for powered monitors, nothing in my opinion beats the 2 models offered by Behringer.
The 2031A model features 8" woofers, 225watts of bi-amped power in each speaker and an amazing price of just $339.00 per pair.
The new 2030A model features a 5" woofer and 110Watts of bi-amped power in each speaker for $279.00 a pair. For those with less room, the smaller model is outstanding, but if you have the room, the big ones would be my first choice.
These monitors look cosmetically like the much more expensive Mackie monitors but have no where near the high price and when reviewed 2 years ago after coming to the market, they actually got better marks in a nationally known electronic magazine.
For headphones, again I have to give the nod to Behringer. They make 2 pairs of studio quality fully enclosed headphones which I sell to all the studios and pros around LA for an amazing price of just $24.95. I also carry Yamaha (around $70,00), Roland Pro($149.00) and Sony (around $100 and up) and find I can't keep enough Behringers around because how many I sell through.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#127108 - 11/09/04 07:54 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
What about Yorkville YSM monitors?
I have listened them once for a short time in a music store and they sound great.
But they are more expensive then the Behringer which also sound great.

#127109 - 11/09/04 09:50 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
Wellfleet Offline

Loc: Worcester MA USA
George,
What are the model numbers for the Behringer headphones that you carry? For $24.95 how can you go wrong.
Thanks
Rick L>

#127110 - 11/09/04 10:15 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Wow George,

That sounds pretty good to me! Are the Behringer headphones really as good as the Yamaha's and Rolands which are up to SIX TIMES the price?! Or is it popular just because of its price?

Thank you very much for the info, you've deffinitely given me what to think about.

But what's the catch? How is it that Behringer can afford to keep their prices so low; or alternitavely, how is it that the other brands can afford to keep their prices so high?!

Chony

#127111 - 11/09/04 11:59 AM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chinese labor is cheap! Also could be the other guys have been making WAY too much profit for a long time.
DonM

#127112 - 11/09/04 03:21 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
George Kaye Offline

Don, I think you've got it right! Too much profit for some and much less for others.
The model of the headphones is HPS3000 and yes, they are as good as I wrote earlier. And if you would like to buy from me......let me know!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#127113 - 11/09/04 03:35 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I bought Behringer UB1202 mixer for like $80 , you should check it out - it has 4 mic inputs and 4 pair ouf other inputs.
The other similar model is PHONIC MM1202a that you should also look into same specs as Behringer but better features ! Same price too

#127114 - 11/09/04 04:52 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Chinese labor is cheap!

Work cheap? Not ME!

Scott

#127115 - 11/09/04 05:37 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally posted by George Kaye:
The model of the headphones is HPS3000 and yes, they are as good as I wrote earlier.

George I see they now have a HPS5000 for $39.

Have you tried these, and is is worth the few extra bucks to upgrade to the newer model. Thanks for the info. I was ready to purchase a set of $100 Sennheiser.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 11-09-2004).]

#127116 - 11/09/04 06:46 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
George Kaye Offline

Jerry,
I haven't received these yet. I don't think they have shipped any. I don't know how they have improved if any the 3000 yet.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#127117 - 11/09/04 07:15 PM Re: Your suggestions please: Want to buy: Monitors, Headphones, Mixer
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Thanks George. Maybe I'll wait and see.
http://www.behringer.com/HPS5000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online