SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127009 - 06/09/06 05:25 AM I'm Back...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
After a week in sunny Cancun Mexico, I'm finally back in the groove and getting ready for Sunday's job. It was a fantastic vacation, I met some of the most incredibly talented entertainers on the planet, and now I know why Tony Rome lives in this part of the world--the people. Unfortunately, I was not able to venture across the straits to visit Tony and his family on this trip, but another trip is already in the planning stages for next year. We stayed at the , which is an incredible facility. You can see more photos click here and make up you own mind if you wish to make this your next vacation destination.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 06-09-2006).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#127010 - 06/09/06 05:28 AM Re: I'm Back...
Dnj Offline

Glad you had a god time.....to bad you couldnt see Tony Rome......looking forward to your posts here on the SZ...you have a bit to catch up on

#127011 - 06/09/06 05:54 AM Re: I'm Back...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Whoa!!!!! That's some kind of a resort. Glad you had a great time, good to have you back. Is that the resort you were supposed to go last year and couldn't because of hurricaines?

#127012 - 06/09/06 05:56 AM Re: I'm Back...
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida
Welcome back Gary. A question I always ask to those who go to resorts/vacations is did they have any musicians/bands in any of the settings at the resort? Did they have Dj's/karaoke? Just curious.

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=235791

www.mychrisvalenti.com

#127013 - 06/09/06 10:56 AM Re: I'm Back...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Gar:

Glad you guys are safely back, Tony missed not seeing you I'm sure. ..........pose

#127014 - 06/09/06 11:01 AM Re: I'm Back...
trtjazz Offline

Chris
Had the opportunity to listen to your work, very impressive. I particularily loved "We've Found" excellent.

Terry

Oh yeah, welcome back Gary.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#127015 - 06/09/06 11:34 AM Re: I'm Back...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Welcome back Gar! And to think (from that picture you posted) that I'd thought you got to visit Tony afterall, with the pic showcasing the completion of Tony Rome's newly rebuilt restaurant-club resort. Sorry you weren't able to stop and pay Tony a visit.

Scott

#127016 - 06/09/06 11:41 AM Re: I'm Back...
travlin'easy Offline

Chris,

Lots of entertainers at this place--day and evening. One particular individual in the Piano Bar is an outstanding player, plays a few song by ear, but mostly from sheet music that he has copied into loose-leaf binders. He didn't speak a word of english, and he did not sing at all. My Spanish was enough to get by most of the time and we could communicate to some small degree. Essentially, he told be his voice was so bad that people would pay him not to sing. He had me do several vocals for him throughout most of our week-long stay and said his level of tips picked up by a significant margin. I was appauled to find that his pay for playing 3 hours a night, 6 nights a week was $100 for the week.

In the Theater Balcony there was a 3-piece combo that was outstanding. It consisted of a keyboard player who had a couple ancient Korgs that were double stacked, a knockout female vocalist with an incredible voice, and a guitar player that was second to none. The group played 3 hours a night, 6 nights a week, wow'ed their audiences, and despite the fact their sound system was somewhat antiquated (an older pair pf 15-inch Samsons and Samson head) they really sounded great--even in a large theater. According to an individual who knows them well their weekly pay for the trio was just $200.

The nightly shows, which were all canned acts with Karaoke singers, were astounding. The dancers had moves and agility that rivaled the best New York has to offer.

And yes, this was one of the place that was slammed during last fall's hurricanes, water was chest deep in the main lobby, and the damage was in the millions. Everything has been completely restored at the facility, right down to the art work, which is priceless. When you walk into the main lobby you are awestruck with every step. You just have to see it to believe it.

And, now I know why Tony Rome enjoys living on his fragile island. The weather is fantastic, the ocean views are spectacular, the cost of living is a fraction of what it is in the states, and everywhere you look there is a georgous woman that reminds you of the song Girl From Epamena (spelling). Yep, Tony truely lives in an island paradise.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#127017 - 06/09/06 04:25 PM Re: I'm Back...
del1235 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Hi Gary,

Welcome back!!!

The pictures were very impressive and could see the place you stayed is top notch. Was wondering what it cost per day to stay there. With all the entertainment, it must have been a great time for you.

Del

#127018 - 06/09/06 06:59 PM Re: I'm Back...
travlin'easy Offline

Del,

I was there on a package deal that was all-inclusive through Apple Vacations. The prices vary, depending on the time of year and what package is offered. From time to time there are specials, which can save up to a third or more off the regular price. And, keep in mind that the all-inclusive deals include all meals, lodging, air fare, drinks, and much more.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online