SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126937 - 11/27/01 06:40 AM Sound Card Question
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I am looking for a good sound card to record Midi/Audio to be used with cakewalk, I came across this new SoundBlaster Audigy card http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigyplatinum/specs.asp
What do you think of its specifications? Is it good enough for the purpose?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Maged

#126938 - 11/27/01 07:39 AM Re: Sound Card Question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Maged: WHAT is your 'specific' purpose? Creating audio for games (3d efx etc) or recording CD quality music?

Is there a specific reason you need to have midi included on the card? I prefer running a midi cable to my keyboard and using those sounds instead (usually much higher quality than midi on a soundcard can provide).

The Creative Labs Audigy midi/audio soundcard is geared for computer based gaming & web audio, but for producing studio CD quality music via Cakewalk, I prefer a 'audio specific' soundcard like the Delta 66 from M-Audio. The cost is a little more (about $100), but you will really hear the difference. I personally think it's worth the extra investment. http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/delta66.php
I was actually recommended this card from the folks at Cakewalk. I am very happy with my Omni Studio w/ Delta 66 card. Cakewalk also supports efx plug ins which should provide more efx than available on the Audigy.

Checkout out this great Audio/Midi Soundcard forum:
http://www.audioforums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=4&S UBMIT=Go

Also, here's an informataive audio soundcard review spec/comparision chart: http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-27-2001).]

#126939 - 11/27/01 08:56 AM Re: Sound Card Question
Maged Offline

Scott,
Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I am basically looking for a good sound card to record CD quality music. I thought any 24 bit/96KHZ/100db sound card will do the job. I don't know exactly what you meant by SoundBlaster Audigy being geared for games?
In all cases, I'll do my homework and read all the links you sent me first.

Maged

#126940 - 11/27/01 10:33 AM Re: Sound Card Question
Scottyee Offline

Soundcards with 'built in' midi sound and efx are highly popular with game, video, and web developers. I find that soundcards which include built in midi sound & efx tend to 'trade off features for sound quality (noiser A/D-D/A converters, etc). The Audigy soundcard may work out fine for you, but if you want the best soundcard for recording a 'professional quality' CD, I recommend getting a 24 bit soundcard geared 'solely' for digital audio recording. Of course this is just my opinion. :;

#126941 - 11/27/01 11:00 AM Re: Sound Card Question
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Just thought I'd mention that the Audigy only plays back audio at 24/96 hz. It is still locked internally for recording at 16/48 hz just like the sblive series so if you choose to record at the cd standard 44.1 hz the Audigy will have to first process the audio at 48 hz and then covert it to 44.1 hz. I agree with Scott for quality recording buy a card designed to record from the get go.

#126942 - 11/27/01 11:59 AM Re: Sound Card Question
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Here's a great 'posting tip' I just got from Nobby:
When you put a long web address on the forum you stretch the post out to where it's hard to read. If you enter, just say half of it, hit enter, and then go to the next line without making a space it will work just
as good and it won't stretch the post out.

Thanks Nobby

#126943 - 11/27/01 12:40 PM Re: Sound Card Question
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Scott,

Do you connect the keyboard straight to your sound card or do you use an intermediate mixer ? Do you get a lot less noise with the Delta66 card than you would with a soundblaster for instance?

Claude

#126944 - 11/27/01 02:37 PM Re: Sound Card Question
Scottyee Offline

Claude: For best sound quality, do all your mixdowns in the keyboard, bypassing an outboard mixer, and record (into Cakewalk Audio) directly thru the soundcard's audio inputs. If you think you might want to do some 'post mixing' later on, in Cakewalk Pro Audio, then record each keyboard track separately into Cakewalk separately

With my Delta 66 soundcard setup, I opted for the Omni Studio I/O. This box is specifically designed to work with the Delta 66 and allows you to record several tracks at a time. http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/omnistud.php

#126945 - 11/27/01 03:09 PM Re: Sound Card Question
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thanks for the tip Scott!

This should definitely improves the quality of my recordings as I was getting lots of noises going through the mixer.
I had to use Keyboard->Mini-Disc and then Mini-Disc->sound card.
I'm going to look at the Delta66 sound card in closer details this week-end!
Cheers,
Claude

#126946 - 11/27/01 07:15 PM Re: Sound Card Question
Maged Offline

Thanks Scott, Vic for all of your valuable help. I did my homework and read all of the comparison charts, despite I feel the Audigy card is a great sound card and it has a very easy to use front I/O (which fits in 5 1/4 drive bay in a computer chassis) but I think I am better of with Delta 66.

Thank you...

Maged

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online