SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#126905 - 01/03/04 04:02 PM Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When are you going to break the news to Synthzone...Be gentle to the Yammys as well as the "New" group..

#126906 - 01/03/04 05:10 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
What news, what news? I'll bet PAX1.
DonM

#126907 - 01/03/04 08:44 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Yeah, UD...are you going to tell them or should I ???

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#126908 - 01/03/04 08:57 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
DonM Offline

Gotta be a KN7000.
DonM

#126909 - 01/03/04 08:58 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
Dnj Offline

#126910 - 01/03/04 09:16 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup - Tim sold me his kn7000 today. Turns out he's only an hour away from us here in Philly ! We met on the Turnplike this afternoon and I handed him a sealed envelope (that he never opened !) and he gave me a kb and acc's.

I was SO relieved to never have to play this 2100 again. i did the happy dance all night long at work. I took it to my Italian Resteraunt after having it about 3 hours. Here's my scoop (and reasons for the switch)

1) I HATE the shrimpy, flimsy keys on the 2100. Just hate 'em.

2) The left hand bass output was never quite strong enough, and had no separate output.

3) The line input was a shared jack that had to be used IN MONO. I like to use a stereo mixer with my harmonizer and laptop pumping through the kb in stereo. No can do on the Yammie.

***** Here's my first night story:

The keys are a delight, although I don't know if the edges will be a problem with certain fingerings. The end keys are boxed in by raised sides that are a little confining in certain fingering situations. No gripe here ... just an observation.

The speakers .....ahhhhhhhhhhh
Almost as sweet as beating Dallas a few weeks ago and then watching them fall again tonight. (Sorry Don!)

The inputs (stereo) are great - there are 2 sets. One follws the volume slider and one is maxed out all the time. Great for my mixer needs.

The drums.....( I still hate 'em ) maybe there is an exp board with better samples. Everything sounds like it's coming through a chorus box. A far cry from the terrific drums I'm used to with Roland, Yamaha, Ketron and Korg.

There are a few things that bug me
(surprise, surprise )

In auto mode - I can't seem to silence the left hand. It always plays the chord tones from the arranger. Can this be shut off permanently? It's not a left hand sound ... it's the arranger playing in stop mode.

When you call up a group (sound or style), the last used entry is selected. No way to search for a better sound or beat without hearing a lot of changes in the process?

Didn't play with the sequencer or SD card. I just fed the signal from my mixer into the stereo line inputs and played live almost all night. I hardly used the arranger.

Only 2 fills, 2 intros and 2 endings.....weak here. Yamaha has the best fill design going. Same button as the variation. I'll miss that.

Donny: Transpose and octave shift work with a single push. Tempo is always ready with a data wheel. All easy to get at too.

I'll do an indepth review after I load up the SD card, and see what the audio amd midi capabilities are. For now - I'm SOoooooo glad that I can get rid of the 2100. It was really messing up my head...and my technique ! I have REAL, solid, full sized keys again !! Whoo Hooo !

Stay tuned folks ........

#126911 - 01/03/04 09:26 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
Dnj Offline

Good Luck Dave with your new KB.... How do you like the flip up screen access? Sounds etc...

#126912 - 01/03/04 09:29 PM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
DonM Offline

I'm betting 6 weeks tops and you'll be in the market again.
Good luck though.
DonM

#126913 - 01/04/04 01:45 AM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
seems the betting is on.
Just to be to lenient I'll give you 8 weeks
UD before you are back in the market.
most likely contendor ? the new Korg (non PRO version) with speakers and 61 keys, though I do not know when this version will hit the streets........

#126914 - 01/04/04 04:53 AM Re: Well Uncle Dave, Talk to us.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
UD. please can we have a regular update on your KN7000 findings and thoughts....at least for the six weeks before you sell it...HA!!!!!
I have friends with KN's but I have never come to terms with the voice samples quality compared to Yamaha.Roland.Korg. The styles are very acceptable and the general easy accessibility of the KN layout is good. The 7000 is certainly the best speaker sound system Technics have ever fitted to a portable keyboard.
Your continued comments of your process with the KN7 is very welcome.

Graham UK.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online