SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#126408 - 12/22/05 03:41 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
The korg triton le has been replaced by the korg triton tr. it has 64mb wave rom (twice the le) ,new improved sounds including piano taken from same sampling session as OASYS. At a street price of $999 its good value. You can add a sampling board but no expansion boards

#126409 - 12/22/05 04:05 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
trtjazz Offline

Claudiu
If you are that hot for the Motif sounds, then keep your VA and buy a Motif Rack.

I disagree that one cannot make Trance or any other Electronica on an arranger. Learn to use it and put your own styles together, to make the genre you want.

You can tweak drums with effects to get them hotter or cooler. You can also get a drum machine with hotter drum styles.

If you want to know and hear more about the Motif, my suggestion is to go to Motifator.com, it's a forum with thousands of posts about the Motif only from it's users.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#126410 - 12/22/05 08:10 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
that's it - i'll take a break - people are going crazy

#126411 - 12/22/05 08:35 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
trtjazz,
I agree with you that the Motif Rack is a good sound module (even to use with Claudiu's VA).

However, I would suggest the full keyboard to Claudiu. Even though Claudiu's VA is a very nice arranger, just adding the Motif's sounds via a module (rack) to the VA wouldn't allow Claudiu to accomplish the task.

Claudiu would also need the "sequencing power" of the Motif to drive those voices. The Motif's sequencer would be much more efficient in creating the backing tracks (ie: patterns) needed for the music.

Claudiu, I say if you got the money go for the Mo! It won't let you down in the electronica department for music creation (nor will it let you down for more traditional styles of music either).

I do feel I should mention that if the VA-76's operations and functions have you a little baffled, be prepared for a learning curve (as you'd find on ANY synth/workstation).

My suggestion if to completely familiarize yourself with your VA. Learn the ins and outs of that unit. Learn to use the style creator so you can get the hang of loop and overdub recording, learn to utilize the voice editing features so you can get a basic understanding on how to create and edit custom voices.

Your VA is really a powerhouse! It's also a great board to have and use to "grasp" basic sequencing, and other things as well.

Once you've gotten a good hand on operating your VA, you'll find that operating a synth such as the Motif or Triton will be much easier.

Best Regards,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#126412 - 12/22/05 08:42 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Vadim Offline

Some people are saying VA is so perfect... I had VA for about 3 years, I know what it's like, making trance on VA76 is a joke.

#126413 - 12/22/05 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

well i'll wait till i know everything about my VA and after that i'm going to make a decision..
Vadim - i wish i could say that, too...you said that making trance on the va is a joke...I tried to find some trance sounds and i found only the " Reso Saw " and a "Bright Star" well you can't make trance with those 2..there are some more but nothing like the Motif`s "TRANCE ACT" or " IBIZA TRANCE " go to http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D23908%2526CTID%253D206400,00.html# and click on Media Clips and listen to THOSE 2 - i don't believe you can make that with the VA....if you say i can do something like that, i will get the motif out of my brains

#126414 - 12/22/05 03:18 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
claudiu, I think perhaps you need to listen to a few of the people on this thread that counsel patience and practice.

From reading many (many!) of your constant posts asking for desperately needed help with this or that basic function, and your admission of being quite young, it is fairly obvious that, although you claim to have no problem playing a piano, you ARE very new to using synths and arrangers.

As with anyone learning a new skill, practice and familiarity with one piece of equipment will help you build the skills to master other gear later on. If you shotgun yourself with an ever-changing equipment list, you will have a hard time ever learning anything during the constant learning curve. You CAN do great things with your VA76 (trance may not be the best it's good at, but many other styles are right up it's alley), and trust me, you are going to find a MotifES FAR more complicated than it is.

Imagine you have a younger brother who is just starting out learning the piano. But he is constantly bombarding you with questions about piano repertoire that is FAR beyond his skills. Do you waste your time trying to answer his questions with information he cannot comprehend, or do you counsel him to slow down, do his practice and scales, and in time he will be able to play more advanced work?

You have to understand that your musical heroes of ANY style did not achieve their greatness over-night. They spent years learning their craft and their equipment, and no purchase will compensate for that. In their earlier years, probably most of them would have begged for an instrument as good as you already have. What they did was work with what they had, learned it's ins and outs, and developed the skills to master later equipment they would eventually use.

Perhaps it is time for you to focus on what MUSICALLY you wish to achieve, rather than obsess about the equipment you have or would like. Make a list of the styles of music you would like to learn, and then pick the one piece of equipment that will do them all adequately, rather than salivating over each piece of specialized gear that is best at one thing.

If you wish to do trance and electronica, I personally would recommend going the software route, and use your VA76 for bread and butter sounds, and enjoy it's superb action for playing the computer sounds. After all, you DO play piano and probably appreciate a good action!

Anyway, keep at it, but be prepared to put the years in, like everyone else..............

#126415 - 12/22/05 03:50 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

Diki - you're making a very good point - i'm impressed - everything is exactly as you stated...you got me on thinking...thanks

regards,

claudiu

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online