SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#126388 - 12/20/05 11:51 AM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Believe it or not some people who write that music don't know how to play a keyboard. Their rigs will consist of high quality samplers such as Akai's, and they'll some extensive computer software as well.

Some of the artists who don't know how to play a keyboard or sequence on the keyboard have basic "notation" knowledge and are able to step record tracks such as piano parts and so forth.

There's also those artists who work soley with samples, they mix them up, slice them here slice them there, stretch them... So much you can do there.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#126389 - 12/20/05 12:00 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Vadim Offline

I don't know much about DJing, but That gear in the pic is mostly just Turntables... But why people use other stuff along with a workststion? Some people use more than one keyboard, some use external Sound Modules, just to make music better... Some people use computers,(computers are mostly used as a Sequncer/Recorder) for sequencing cuz its easier for some people...
I don't even know why they use all that extra stuff... some people can listen to the music made with Keyboards and all the extra stuff, and they can make it almost exact just using the keyboard...
I know why Guitar is used along with keyboards, cuz you can't play a guitar on the keyboard and make it sound like real...you know...

#126390 - 12/20/05 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
...maybe dj tiesto doesn't know to play a piano or a kb..and that's why he uses all that crap.

#126391 - 12/20/05 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Vadim Offline

squeak_D made a great point, which also reminded me that some djs use music thats already made and just mixing it with other music, looping and stuff...

#126392 - 12/20/05 03:03 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

i guess i'll stick with my va

#126393 - 12/20/05 03:58 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Claudiu,

You may like to hear some of the trance stuff I've done with my Yamaha CS6x synth and Cubase sequencer. It's all pretty old now, but I used to be really into it.

Many of the drums I used are pro audio loops, but all the synth sounds came straight from my Yamaha. It's dead-easy recording the arpeggio's into Cubase, then editing them like mad to change the key and feel.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=168777

"Weightless" is the last trance song I did before school took over my life.

Carrie

#126394 - 12/20/05 04:00 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

I love " weightless " ..i want to do that, too

#126395 - 12/20/05 04:05 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
claudiu Offline

...but how and with what gear.. ?

#126396 - 12/20/05 04:57 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Claudiu,

I'm a Motif ES and an arranger ( PA80 )owner. While Trance isn't my style of electronica per se, I do like other genres of synth oriented music.

The Motif ES phrase factory and the arps are excellent tools for electronic genres, and I can produce a lot faster using them than I can by making styles on my arranger.

The irony though is that the PA80 allows for deeper patch editing and I think it's better than the ES for actual sampled synth sounds.

You could save a ton of money and get something like Reason or FL studio and be ahead of the game. FL really lends itself well to creating any type of electronic music and it's tools are far advanced vs the Motif series, provided you have some ability to create patterns from scratch.

There are enough freeware synths out there that for little investment you can surpass sonically anything that any arranger or Rompler will do. There are many virtual analogs or analog / sample based / fm / hybrids that can be had for nothing, and these will often surpass any wave / sample based solution for making scratch or unique synth sounds.

Cheers,

AJ

#126397 - 12/20/05 06:02 PM Re: Yamaha Motif - A piece of ART ?...Yeah.....
trtjazz Offline

Claudiu
If you are having trouble with the VA and doing things, you do not want to buy a Motif. I've owned 2 of them and they are not at all easy to operate.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online