SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#126163 - 12/17/02 10:32 AM SxA100 returned today
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Friends,

If you have the mic, mixer setting on your keyboard, The SxA 100 is a good choice. If your keyboard does not have this built in and you don't want to haul around a mixer, this is not the speaker for you. It's that simple.

I want an "all-in-one" unit. I have a Genz Benz "Shenandoah Acoustics 85" I got on trial yesterday from the local dealer. It sounds as good as the SxA100 to me and almost as good as my 15" Peavey TLS5's, and it has all of the goodies.

Only 2 channels but that's all I need .
Each channel has:
Volume knob
Effects level knob
Low knob
Mid knob
Mid Freq knob ( whatever that is)
High knob

It has Alesis Digital effects (Looks like 16)with a level knob there also.

The problem is it has an annoying buzz. Not a hiss, not a hum. A buzz. What a drag. Anybody know what causes this %$#@ to happen in equipment. In the old days I remember the Guitar player turning the plug around and many times that either worked or at least helped tune the noise down.

This Genz Benz has me wanting to try the "Little Green Monster" that Donny bragged about sometime back from Carvin.

I'm going to call and see if they will extend the trial period a week or so. They just give a 10 day trial period. I'm busy now laying brick and I need more time with it.

Again the Samson EX30's sound was very good also, but lacked power. Not the Genz Benz. It's plenty loud. Maybe the dealer can get rid of the buzz. Maybe it has a defective part.

Boo

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 12-17-2002).]

#126164 - 12/17/02 10:59 AM Re: SxA100 returned today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The mid-frequency is a "sweep" feature that lets you select the exact frequency that you want the mid knob to control.
Regarding the buzz - be sure your amp keyboard and harmonizer are all plugged in the same circuit. Check all instrument cables to see if they need replacing.
DonM

#126165 - 12/17/02 03:39 PM Re: SxA100 returned today
Dnj Offline

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?P1=AG

Boo,

This could be the Amp that gives you everythig you need, plus you can get the extension speaker too.

Dnj

#126166 - 12/17/02 04:30 PM Re: SxA100 returned today
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Someone once told me amp buzz was caused by a faulty power transformer. The transformer is a bunch of wire wound around some metal plates and capped off with a cover and a bottom -- they are all bolted together. Sometimes the bolts come loose and vibrate thus creating the buzz. Also, if the transformer mount to the case is loose you will get the same artifact.

I don't know how true this is since I have never tried to fix one, but maybe some of the Electronics experts out than can comment on this.

AL G

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Friends,

The problem is it has an annoying buzz. Not a hiss, not a hum. A buzz. What a drag. Anybody know what causes this %$#@ to happen in equipment. In the old days I remember the Guitar player turning the plug around and many times that either worked or at least helped tune the noise down.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#126167 - 12/17/02 08:08 PM Re: SxA100 returned today
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You won't believe this but today the store owner gave me one of those little gray adapters that goes from a three way to a two way for the plug with the little loop for a srew for a ground. You guys know what I'm talking about. Needless to say I laughed all the way home. I plugged the amp in when I got home and sure enough the buzz was still there. So I pull the plug out and put the little adaper on and plugged it in. Believe me there wasn't a sound. The buzz completely disappeared. If you have a buzzing amp try this out and see if it works on your equipment. This would be good to remember.

#126168 - 12/18/02 05:21 AM Re: SxA100 returned today
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You've got to be kidding me? A .69 cent solution to a problem? Gee you are one lucky dog.

I'm going to have to try that trick out on my amp and see if it works. My whole power setup is with 3-prong grounded outlets, extention cords, and power taps. I never thought the ground loop could be causing the humm/buzz.

Live and learn...

Regards,
Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#126169 - 12/18/02 06:59 AM Re: SxA100 returned today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I never thought the ground loop could be causing the humm/buzz.

That's EXACTLY what ground loops do!
Humm/buzz is the result !
My electronics guys always told me to rip the third prong off ALL my cables except ONE. There is no need for the ground wire on each piece as long as they are all in the same outlet. I never did this, and I've never had a problem either, but it comes up every now & then if I forget and use two different sockets on each side of the stage. Now - I only use ONE outlet from the house, and run everything through that source.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online