SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126152 - 09/02/04 10:57 PM Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
larigot Offline

Loc: Portsmouth - UK
For those of you using the B4 Organ software who what a dedicated keyboard controller then this looks like a good bet, its got a NI B4 mode built in... see link below.

http://www.eastcoastmusicmall.com/product/NONE/none/MDM+MK461C.htm

Rgds

Larigot

#126153 - 09/03/04 07:35 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
No expression pedal input.
Starkeeper

#126154 - 09/03/04 12:38 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
larigot Offline

Starkeeper...

Dont worry.. its not the end of the world without the expression pedal input, I already pass the audio output of my Laptop into a stand alone volume pedal to get expression for the B4 organ anyway..problem solved.

With this keyboard you can control the '9' B4 organ drawbars in realtime during a performance, assign any or all of the B4's controls to any of the buttons / rotary controls to your own liking and save them in memory...and you have dismissed this degree of control of the NI B4 for the sake of a expression pedal input !!!! Jeez you just cant please some people.

#126155 - 09/03/04 01:53 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

You can change drawbar or other settings by setting up the B4 and then calling those settings up by sending program change numbers from your midi controller keyboard. You can do a similar thing with forte by sending program changes which results in scene changes which in turn results in B4 drawbar or other changes. Can't get any faster than that - plus the cost is reasonable.

#126156 - 09/03/04 02:07 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

You can also use Native Instruments controller with any keyboard..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-03-2004).]

#126157 - 09/03/04 02:13 PM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
"Jeez you just cant please some people." Yea, I know.
How about a Roland A37 controller with 76 keys AND an expression pedal for $399. Three EZ (not difficult) payments of $133.00.
Starkeeper

#126158 - 09/04/04 12:50 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
larigot Offline

My main criteia for a dedicated keyboard matched to the B4 software is the 'REAL TIME' control of the B4's drawbars, that means 'pushing in/pulling out' the draw bars whilst holding a chord to create a crescendo etc, the A37 is a great general master keyboard but it still cannot control the 9 drawbars in real time and secondly the A37 has the typical Roland single sprung combined pitch bend / modulation control, this is useless for controling the B4 Leslie control as it springs back to zero efectively keeping the B4 rotator constantly on slow, using keyboards with this type of 'all in one' modulation/pitch bend control to run the B4 organ is not a good idea, a nice chunky modulation wheel is the next best thing to the old 'half-moon' Leslie switch for controling Leslie speed, and real Hammond players will know that bringing in the Leslie at the right time is an art in itself.

OK Starkeeper... if the A37 is what 'floats your boat' then go buy one, dont let me stop you.

Rgds

Larigot

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
"Jeez you just cant please some people." Yea, I know.
How about a Roland A37 controller with 76 keys AND an expression pedal for $399. Three EZ (not difficult) payments of $133.00.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by larigot (edited 09-04-2004).]

[This message has been edited by larigot (edited 09-04-2004).]

#126159 - 09/04/04 06:26 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Larigot, the Roland A37 floats my boat. I have used it for years and use it every day with my software based arranger system which includes the NI B4. To make all this work as it should, I also use the Roland PK5 Midi Bass Pedals. I split the A37 and I have a very good sounding responsive Hammond B3 Organ. Oh and I also use the Yamaha volume pedal for additional expressive control. While it is not perfect, it is close enough. Plus I can carry all of it including the computer under one arm!!!

#126160 - 09/04/04 07:35 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
larigot Offline

Frank,

How do you get over the problem of the NI B4 Rotator being triggered from a modulation wheel when the A37 does not have one, only a shared and sprung joystick ? (which I hate) and you still cant manually adjust the drawbars from the A37, only change patches.

I have a StudioLogic SL-880 which is a great 88 note piano touch master keyboard but its best used for piano style playing, its a bit of an overkill on the NI B4. I'm pleased your getting the best out of your A37, one thing about being a good musician is not only playing but being able to adapt to your instruments failings and faults and make the best out of them....well done Frank.

Rgds

L

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Larigot, the Roland A37 floats my boat. I have used it for years and use it every day with my software based arranger system which includes the NI B4. To make all this work as it should, I also use the Roland PK5 Midi Bass Pedals. I split the A37 and I have a very good sounding responsive Hammond B3 Organ. Oh and I also use the Yamaha volume pedal for additional expressive control. While it is not perfect, it is close enough. Plus I can carry all of it including the computer under one arm!!!

#126161 - 09/04/04 08:13 AM Re: Native Instruments B4 Organ controller...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I use the B4 with my G1000, my laptop sits on one side of the G1000..I have quick access to the laptop,including the space bar that changes the Leslie slow/fast control...As a bonus the two source sliders of the G1000 allows control of harmonics in the B4..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online