SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125842 - 10/20/05 07:31 PM Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hello Synthzone friends,

I'm hoping one of the PC & Windows XP experts here might be able to help me solve an IE 6 problem I'm having which began about 24-48 hours ago.

First of all, I have a high speed DSL connection, and prior to yesterday, webpages would typically come up quickly & smoothly, with the IE page load 'status bar' appearing at the bottom of the IE window, quickly beoming filled (green), and then the status bar instantly gone, allowing the webpage to be freely viewed and scrolled.

Begining yesterday, when I now call up IE initially, or when pulling up a new webpage, there is now often a 10 second delay before any inital webpage window appears, followed by the page load 'status bar' appearing. Oddly, after the status bar appears, and shows the green bar filled, there is now like a 3-5 second delay before the filled green status bar finaly disappears, and the webpage is able to be scrolled. Previously, as soon as the status bar was completely filled (green), the bar would immediately disappear, allowing the page to be viewed and scrolled right away.

My first suspcision was that this might have been caused by spyware or a computer virus. I ran all Norton Utilities modules and Norton Anti-Virus with the latest virus definitions and it came back clean. I also cleaned out (deleted) my IE 6 cache & temporary files. I then ran my Spyware Programs "SpySweeper 4.53" and AdAware SE Plus 6. Though SpySweeper came back with clean test results, Adaware came back and advised me that I had a possible browser HiJack attempt. Adaware quarantined the suspcious file, but when I go back into IE, after re-booting, I'm still experiencing the webpage loading glitch when I browse on IE. It's not terrible, but it certainly is annoying to have to put up with the webpage load delays. Btw, I verified that the problem is not in my DSL line itself, because I have another PC connected on the same ROUTER (LinkSys) that is not experiencing this problem at all. After swapping Router output lines, the problem still only presists on my main PC.

I hope I've provided enough details here for the SZ Windows PC Experts to help me solve & resolve the problem. Thanks in advance.

Scott

#125843 - 10/20/05 07:50 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Hi Scott,

I haven't any idea what your problem may be but would suggest you remove the power from your modem, wait 15 seconds or so and plug it back in. This will reset it and that may solve your problem.

Good Luck! You do know computers are an instrument of the devil!!

#125844 - 10/20/05 07:57 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Scott,
I also have no idea how to solve your problem. However I use Mozilla as well as Internet Explorer and whenever I have a problem on the microsoft product I use the other. In my case I find some screens will not print out through IE but do through Mozilla. It is a bit like having a backup keyboard! http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
it is free by the way.
Good luck
Keith

#125845 - 10/20/05 08:07 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Scottyee Offline

Hi Richard, good suggestion, and which I remembered to perform. Interstingly enough, yesterday, I had connected to an arrangaer kb buddy located in Finland who had initiated a remote webcam from his laptop PC to me. He gave me a IE explorer address to enter, and after doing this, he appeared on my PC screen, coming from the camera on his bluetooth cell phone to his laptop PC, and then to my PC here in California. During that connection, I noticed that some 'remote keyboard' settings window (automatically?) popped up on my PC screen, and then when I pressed my keys on my PC, it would show cap letters, even though my caps lock was off. I was able to close the window, and the problem seem to resolve itself. I'm wondering now if that webcast via IE somehow corrputed something with webpage loading now. Man this is all so complicated. It seems like you try anything new, and sh!t happens. Though this problem is only a minor annoyance currently, I sure hope it can be fixed.

Scott

#125846 - 10/20/05 08:07 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott , try a previous restore point and see if it solves your problem..You may still have a trojan hidden in your system files.
Save your current restore point first..that way you can revert back to the current point if the procedure doesn't help..

#125847 - 10/20/05 08:11 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Could it possibly be downloading Windows updates in the background and slowing things down? Windows updates usually come out on Tuesdays. But they are parcelled out a bit at a time to prevent overload. That means that both of your computers do not receive the updates at exactly the same time.

Of course, I assume that you cleared your IE cache and deleted all the files already. That can cause slowdowns if you haven't done that.

Tom G.

#125848 - 10/20/05 08:45 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Scott - is your computer fixed yet?

#125849 - 10/20/05 11:15 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Scottyee Offline

Hi Rhumba and all, I tried rolling back my PC to an earlier date, as suggested by Fran , but even though the roll back dates are listed as available (Monday), when I actually try to initiate a roll back to those dates, when I reboot the PC, it says that date is not actually available to roll back to. I suspect it's because I performed a 'Windows Update' on Tuesday, like TomTomSF as mentioned, and you can't roll back to a date prior to a 'Windows Update'.

Interestingly enough though, the webpage loading seems to have improved 'just a little'. The annoying problem now is a 2-3 second hiccup the moment following the page load (when the status bar indicator shows as complete: indicator bar all green). At this point, the webpage hangs for 2-3 seconds, before the indicator bar finally disappears, and new loaded page is freely scrol-lable.

For example, in SZ, if I click on a link to a thread, such as This Very Thread , it will take a second or so to load (with the status bar indicator moving from empty to full (green). The new page appears, but I'm not able to scroll for another 3 seconds, and only then does the status bar finally disapear, and I'm then able to scroll up/down that page to view all the posting replies. It's like something in my PC wants to process (scan for virus' or ad-ware?) the webpage data before the new page can finally become scrol-lable. - Scott

#125850 - 10/21/05 04:26 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

A couple of things you might want to check before you go crazy. Your anti-virus software may be checking and /or cleaning web pages prior to loading into your browser. Also, some pop-up blockers have been known to affect performance. Thirdly, you may be loading pages which are heavy with Javascript/java applets and your Java/Javascript settings within the browswer may have changed. Check your status bar to see if your getting Java errors.

One last thing you may want to do is clear out your temporary files, prefetch files, and your browser history. This could be causing the browser to search for cached copies of web pages you are visiting and thus taking much longer than necessary if your cache is abnormally full!

Hope some of this helps and cures your problem. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#125851 - 10/21/05 04:33 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Spyware?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online