SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#125545 - 01/30/01 09:37 PM Roland VA3 is new!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I would like you all to know about a new keyboard I received today that just might interest some of you.
The Roland VA-3 is a 61 key with speakers arranger keyboard in the same family as the VA-7 and VA-5. It sells for approx $1300.00 and has almost all the same features as the more expensive models. The touch screen, the 3.500 sounds, the 116 drum sets, the same effects, the super sounds, the one touch settings, the D-beam controller, the 16 track sequencer, the direct from disk playback and 64 note polyphony (VA-5 and VA-7 have 128 note polyphony). What is not the same is the quality of the internal speakers (not as good) and the buttons are not as pretty and do not light up as on the other two models. the screen is not as colorful but still very good. there are stereo outputs and stereo inputs on the back a midi in and midi out and a floppy disk drive on the front. You cannot use a microphone on the aux inputs but still this is quite a nice machine. The song composer, style composer and all the functions work exactly the same as on the VA-7 so this is quite an easy machine to use.
I would also like you all to know that I have received a new version of the software for the VA products which now makes it very easy to turn on Upper 1 and Upper 2 voices for layering. On the older software you could not quickly turn on and off two voices but now if you go to the one touch screen, the two choices are right on the top of the display box and with just a single push of upper 2 you can turn it on or off. Before you had to do about 3 commands to do this and then 3 more to turn it off. I'm glad to see that roland listened to my complaint as well as to many of you.
The VA-7 will be giving the Yamaha PSR740 and Casio MZ2000 some additional competition. The sounds are really good in the Roland product and the sequencer is first rate. If you don't need the vocal harmonizer, this might be a great choice. The piano is really much warmer a sound in the roland and the new Trumpet which is taken from the XV-5080 module is stunning.
Regards,
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#125546 - 01/30/01 11:53 PM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
Ahmad Offline

Loc: Lebanon
Hi George, do you have any news concerning the SD1, like more specs, release date, price etc...

Thanx in advance

#125547 - 01/31/01 05:28 AM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
George,
Just saw this thing on the Roland page and it's very impressive. It's a great arranger for those who really dont care for light up keys and those who can do without the vocalizer. I noticed that there are A LOT of patches on this thing, but can they be edited? Is there any type of a synth engine on it? Also how many styles are on it as well? What't the watt capacity for the speakers... If I'm correct I believe the VA7/5 are 13 watts. Is the 3 close to that?

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#125548 - 01/31/01 08:41 AM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
George Kaye Offline

Squeak,
I've got to go pick up my car before work this morning, I'll answer your questions later.
I've been told that the SD-1's should arrived within the next 30 to 60 days if not sooner. As I have said before, the price of the SD-1 will be close to the price of the X-1HD. I have the SD-1 in my store and I love it. There are a few things that will change on the productin models that will arive. Already, Sandro has added some features after discussions at NAMM. My customers have loved it who have played it. Some still wish the buttons were larger and had some colors to help identify locations, so wish the screen was still larger, but in general everyone sees it as a great addition to the Solton Line of keyboards.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#125549 - 01/31/01 06:35 PM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
George Kaye Offline

Squeak,
I am now at the store and I have Played some more with the VA-7.
Yes you can edit sounds in the VA-3. You can change filter settings, envelopes, modulation, etc. However, when you modify a sound you are changing the parameters in the part, not the actual sound. So, if you are in upper 1 and you have a classical guitar and you want to make the filter brighter, if you change to a different sound you would be modifying any sound in that part. You can then save the changes in a performance which would then have your changes there always.
Second, the number of styles in the VA-3 is 64 in Rom and 64 Disk Link memories from floppy disk.There is also 4 variations for each style, two intros and two endings.ou can also program user styles and you can convert sections of standard midi files into user styles. The amplifier is 7+7 W RMS output power and is a two-way bass port system. The operating system is also on flash rom so it can be updated whenever Roland releases new operating systems. There is a alpha dial data/tempo controller, a D-Beam controller and Pitch Bender-Modulation Lever. The sequencer features the following:
Realtime SMF Player
Easy 2 Track live recorder
16 track sequencer
song header post edit, which lets you go in and change programs, volumes, etc. after you've done a song or to a smf.
Lyrics on Display
The sounds are as follows:
64 voice Polyphony
32 multitrimbal Parts
3641 aounsa
116 drum sets including Oriental drum set
GS/GM2 compatible.
There are 4 one touch programmable memories for each style.
Style Orchestrator and Morphing

I hope this information helps
'George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#125550 - 01/31/01 06:37 PM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
George Kaye Offline

By the way,
the keyboard weighs 9.8 kg. I beleive that is about 24 pounds. It feels really light compared to many others.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#125551 - 01/31/01 07:07 PM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks George! This VA-3 sounds really nice.... I'm pleased to see that you can edit the sounds too. Even though there aren't too many styles, it's comforting to know that there is also a style orchestrator. Oh before I forget.... have you been getting any of my emails? I sent a few to your aol address listed on your profile from this site......

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#125552 - 01/31/01 09:26 PM Re: Roland VA3 is new!
George Kaye Offline

Yes Squeak I got one this morning regarding your EX keyboard. I will respond in an email to you.
George kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online