SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125157 - 10/30/05 05:38 PM Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
. . . unless you like clear, clean sound with power to spare. Gotcha!
Seriously, I played for an awards ceremony, cook-out and swap meet at a large auto race track today.
I was on the second deck facing the infield. The swap meet was on the ground outside, behind me. Hundreds of people were scattered through the grandstands.
They could ALL hear perfectly. As I was told, the system is even better outside.
SemiLive (Bill) went with me so I got him to walk all around the premises and listen. Then he played and sang while I listened.
People couldn't believe what they were hearing and seeing.
We even took some pictures before it got too crowded. I will post them later.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-02-2005).]

#125158 - 10/30/05 05:55 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hey Don,

great to hear about your positive experience.
Do you use currently one cylinder and one sub or two subs?

Looking foreward to your pictures.

Eric

#125159 - 10/30/05 05:57 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yep, I've been wanting one for 2 yrs. Even more so now.

A very large woman pestered me to dance. She had no front teefus. The type of woman who'd whip your you-know. I was concerned.

Don told her I am gay. Which is untrue. Plus, she said gay guys like to dance.

Don sounded great. That Bose sound even goes backwards. Somehow.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#125160 - 10/30/05 05:59 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
So Bill....how was your dance?

#125161 - 10/30/05 06:32 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don,

I've only performed two outdoor jobs with mine and had similar comments from the audiences. Very large area, lots of people and everyone raved about how great the music sounded. Most wanted to know where the speakers were. When I pointed to the black post, they usually said "No! Where are the speakers?" From my standpoint, the PAS makes all conventional sound systems obsolete. The only thing I wish Bose would have done is come up with the PAS 20 years ago.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#125162 - 10/30/05 07:12 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
DonM Offline

I'm using one pole and one sub. The only drawback I can see is that there ARE some stereo issues that I haven't resolved.
The organ leslie effect isn't coming through right. My Pedal Steel sound bounces from left to right through conventional stereo, but doesn't on the Bose.
Even if these problems can't be solved short of buying two systems, they are significant enough to bother me.
Now back to my Midjay experiment, which will be under the other thread. I'm making significant progress, but not ready to make a final judgement on the MJ.
DonM

#125163 - 10/30/05 09:34 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
Dnj Offline

#125164 - 10/30/05 10:01 PM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
Clif Anderson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Even if these problems can't be solved short of buying two systems, they are significant enough to bother me.
DonM

I'm guessing if you get two of them for stereo output from a keyboard you will have other problems due to phase cancellation. You may lose the uniform audio distribution of the single speaker. Does Bose have anything to say about what to do for stereo?

#125165 - 10/31/05 06:05 AM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While I initially thought there would be a problem with stereo sampling with the Live Grand Piano and some of the guitars, it is no longer an issue. First and foremost, the only people that usually benefit from stereo are those who are positioned directly in center of the a pyramid created by the position of the left and right speakers. Anyone outside this area does not benefit from stereo effects. Therefore, while those wonderful stereo effects sound great to the person playing the keyboard, most everyone else in the room does not benefit. And, as someone on the Bose PAS site said "Mono--Everyone in the entire room hears the same thing--what a concept."

I believe one of the greatest aspects of the PAS system is that people sitting at tables to the side of the speakers are no longer seated in a "Dead Zone." With conventional speaker systems, even stereo systems, the sound is projected forward via the speaker's cone angle and the encasement's angle. Everything to the side and behind the speakers was in a dead zone, an area outside the normal wave pattern. With the PAS this is no longer the case.

The other issue addressed by the PAS is near equal distrubtion of volume throughout the venue. When I was using a pair of Peavey monsters, the folks sitting directly in front of the speakers were blasted, while those sitting at the extreme ends of the room strained to hear the music. This is no longer an issue--everyone gets the same volume regardless of where they're seated in the venue.

As for the ping-pong effect of the steel guitar, you can tune the voice, add some echo and reverb, then save it as a custom voice and everyone in the audience can hear the effects. That's why I went to the GM grand piano, added some effects and the sound coming from the PAS is even more realistic than the Live Grand Piano.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#125166 - 10/31/05 07:06 AM Re: Bose PAS is a BUMMER!
DonM Offline

I meant to say the probems AREN'T significant enough to bother me! Typo.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online