SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#12503 - 08/25/04 08:10 PM NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
bigsteve81 Offline

Loc: san jose, ca, USA
Hey all,

This is my first post so I'll see how this goes.

Well neway...Somebody gave me an Alesis Nano Synth a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait to get home and hook the thing up. So I get home pull out the MPC2000 and connect it via MIDI with the NanoSynth. The midi signal was going through just fine because I seen the light lighting up. The strange thing was the buzzing noise that I was getting from the synth. I even tried playing the demo and there was nothing but a very loud annoying buzzing noise.

Does nebody know what is going on. Do I have to reset it. If so how do I. Also, is it ok to use an RCA cable that converts to 1/4 audio. Please give me some input. I've been hearing alot about the NANO and I really want to start playing with my new toy

#12504 - 08/26/04 01:27 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bigsteve81:
The strange thing was the buzzing noise that I was getting from the synth. I even tried playing the demo and there was nothing but a very loud annoying buzzing noise.

Also, is it ok to use an RCA cable that converts to 1/4 audio.

Well using a cable that converts between RCA and phono jack is fine. That shouldn't be a problem. That is as long as it is an instrument cable. Have you tried another cable ?

But is the buzzing the only sound you get from the outputs or are you getting the keyboard sound as well ? Is this problem just with the main outputs or with the headphone output as well ?

#12505 - 08/26/04 06:19 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
To re-inisialize the nanosynth
Turn the NanoSynth off.
Turn the Volume and Effect knobs all the way down (counterclockwise).
Set the Channel, Category knobs to 12 o'clock (straight up).
Set the input selector on the back to MIDI.
Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI-In jack to the MIDI-Out/Thru jack. You are making a loop.
Turn the NanoSynth on. You will hear a loud pure tone, and the MIDI light will come on.
Turn the NanoSynth off. It is now re-initialized.
Note that re-initializing the NanoSynth does not restore the user bank to its original settings.

#12506 - 08/26/04 08:37 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Are the nano and the synth both plugged into the same AC outlet? Ground loops can cause buzzing and sometimes, different circuits have different characteristics.

#12507 - 08/26/04 10:16 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
bigsteve81 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:

But is the buzzing the only sound you get from the outputs or are you getting the keyboard sound as well ? Is this problem just with the main outputs or with the headphone output as well ?

I only heard a buzz, but everytime I triggered the MIDI the buzz would die down a little.

1st I connected regular red and white RCA cables to a stereo receiver and it didnt work.

Then I connected my RCA to 1/4 audio cables to the audio in of my MPC2000. I tried sampling a sound and still got nothing but a buzz

#12508 - 08/26/04 10:19 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
bigsteve81 Offline

I never used a keyboard with the Nana, only an MPC2000.(sampler,sequencer,drum machine)

#12509 - 08/26/04 10:28 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
bigsteve81 Offline

Oops...Nano

#12510 - 08/26/04 08:55 PM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sounds like a Nano No NO ! Sorry guy !

#12511 - 08/27/04 04:14 PM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
bigsteve81 Offline

What is that supposed to mean

#12512 - 09/01/04 09:29 AM Re: NanoSynth...This is strange!!!
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Steve,

I think Uncle Dave means you got a bad Nano. It sounds like it to me. I hope you figure it out though. As Uncle Dave also mentioned, sometimes plugging instruments into the same power strip an cause humming/buzzing. I don't exactly know the physics behind such things, but I do know this. In my rig at home, If I plug any piece of equipment with a three prong plug into one particular power strip, I get a buzzing into my mixer and out of my amps. So I keep all three prong plugs in a different power strip and I get no buzz at all. Vierd, yesh, yesh.. very vierd.

Peace
Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online