SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#124950 - 12/05/05 08:30 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, yes you can use another VST to handle just the drums. However, you would need to know on which channels the drums are located. They can be all over the place Channel 2, 8, 9 or 10....may be even others. I suppose you could merge all the channels into 10 but that reduces your flexibility of using the Jazz & Brush kit at the same time in any given style.

Rikki, I just took a look to see if it would be feasible to convert Bandstand's Drum kits to Soundfont. This may not be easy. The wave files are accessible but the files that tie it all together into instruments and instruments into kits is not. My guess is that it is part of the Bandstand.dll file (VST or DXi). In kontakt files often come as example.nki files. Such files could be converted. I have tried pulling these files into kontakt but get the error message that I need a newer version of kontakt. I have the newest version.....so it is likely their protection scheme.

I just downloaded the update to Bandstand and will test it tomorrow. It claims to fix some bugs, improve on the 'from disk streaming', etc. So this may improve overall performance including the loading of instruments.

I have done some preliminary checks with computer stores concerning virtual HDs. They have none in stock but would be willing to order them in for me. I will test Bandstand some more and then make up my mind.

Even with these drum headaches, it will take something more for me to even think about switching to any hardware alternatives. The software stuff simiply sounds to good!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-05-2005).]

#124951 - 12/05/05 10:37 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
are you sure that the drums are on midi channel 2 , 8 9, 10.
I think you'll find that they are track no's, not midi channels.

As for Bandstand, I'll wait & see how you go.
Retail price over here is something like $340AUD, so I don't want to dash out and buy something I may not be able to use.
I think I could actually create/edit a drum font from the wav files by replacing the
wav samples in the font. Do the drums in Bandstand sound really good?? What sort of names do the wav samples have ie do they have note numbers??

It would be great if the software update fixes your loading problem. Then at least it would be worth spending the time converting the drums from xg to gm.

Fingers crossed.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124952 - 12/05/05 11:44 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hey everyone,
do the rest of us mortals need to have a degree in nuclear physics, just to play music??

What started out as an "ok, you load Forte and then you use MIDI yoke to route MIDI signals and then play" looks like an oxcart compared to Ferrari, if you look at the above.
Keep up the good work.

#124953 - 12/06/05 05:32 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Rikki, yes I am certain that you will find drums on channels (or tracks with different numbers) all over the place in Yamaha Styles. It is true, however, that drums are mostly on channel 9 and 10. Just as an example, take a look at an unmodified 9000 Pro BigBand Style (Channel 2, 8 & 10). In some styles some of these channels (not tracks) are empty (drums loaded but no messages.

So to make a separate VST for drums practical I would recommend merging drums into two channels say 9 & 10. This gives you the option of using something like a Jazz Kit together with a Brush Kit. This is easy to do with M. Bedesem's StyleMaker partnered with Sonar (or any other sequencer). I like Cakewalk sequencers because of the availability of instrument definition files.

#124954 - 12/06/05 07:31 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Wow....the Bandstand update certainly fixed some things:

Instruments & especially the drums sound very good indeed.
Live - Styler once again works .... no midi loops and hanging notes.

Issues still left to resolve:

Speed up instrument loading times
Convert drums to GM Standard

These issues can be resolved and I will proceed to do that....it is absolutely worth it. Especially for someone like myself who places more value on replicating acoustic instruments as efficiently and effectively as possible.

I am still trying to fix Garritan's Jazz & Big Band Modulation Wheel volume control via forte. If this fails I will implement one of the alternatives suggested by others. I am looking for a slick fix....a fix within forte Ensemble's rack & midi routing and control features.

I will now disappear into the woodwork and fix the issues.

I am very happy with this turn of events.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-06-2005).]

#124955 - 12/06/05 07:43 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
that's great, hopefully it will work out for you.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124956 - 12/06/05 08:14 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Yep... cool news that the Bandstand upgrade helps. I've been sitting back and watching you guys hard at work and reading every word. I don't have much help to offer at the point but it's great to see you guys making progress.

#124957 - 12/07/05 07:19 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Frank, just go get yourself a CME-UF7 controller for $400. It has all the controllers and mod wheel you need to run any Garritan library he's likely to put out in the next decade and you (LOL, and I) probably won't care about it after that.

I intend to get one sometime next year, after taxes are taken care of.

Tom

PS I'm 71!

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#124958 - 12/07/05 12:26 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Tom, I just might do that before I too am long gone.

I just acquired 320 GB USB HD backup system for use with both my computers. While I was there I picked up to try a flash 2GB USB HD for Bandstand. I know this may not do it but the price is half of other solutions plus it is available.

#124959 - 12/07/05 02:05 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I am curius about the flash works Frank, since I was the one that said "it's not going to work"
I feel it is going to be too slow for the amount of data Bandstand will request when you play. Please post your results.
Theodore

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online