SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#124900 - 11/27/05 07:24 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I am hard at work getting to know and use Jammer Live and OMB. They seem to like NI's Bandstand a whole lot better. Loading up Kontakt with 8 large instruments and using Bandstand my computer usage sits somewhere aroung 50% and RAM around 1.2 GBs out of 2. Plus there are no midi loops or hanging notes. So when you have choices you have answers. I will proceed on my learning curve and rest in peace.

#124901 - 11/27/05 08:00 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Congradulations Frank, I think you are playing the most powerful keyboard instrument known to man. 8 large Kontakt instruments plus Bandstand and your system isn't even breathing hard. My studio computer is similar to yours so I expect similar results running Bandstand and Colossus.

My laptop is a 2 Ghz/2GB RAM with a 5400RPM HD. I'm wondering if BANDSTAND could be installed to flash memory for better speed? Should be possible.

#124902 - 11/27/05 08:13 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
Great to hear you're getting it all sorted out. Interesting to note the computer usage.
What sort of latency ( if any) do you experience with your setup?
Wasn't really quite sure how Kontakt worked,
so have I got this sort of right??
You load your 8 lead sounds into Kontakt and Bandstand somehow gets loaded in as a whole for use with the style parts? ( a bit like the soundfonts work, the instruments get picked by program changes in the styles)
Which version of OMB do you have??
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B] Loading up Kontakt with 8 large instruments and using Bandstand my computer usage sits somewhere aroung 50% and RAM around 1.2 GBs out of 2. Plus there are no midi loops or hanging notes.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124903 - 11/27/05 08:42 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Esh, I would have some concern with a 5400rpm drive. Most developers recommend something like I have (7200rpm and 8 mb Cache). This is if you are going to use the streaming from disk feature. In addition, the samples should be on a separate hard drive from your programs and os. So you could use a Firewire 800 drive to achieve your requirements with a laptop. I am playing it safe here with my advice.

Rikki & Esh, as near as I can tell the instruments are loaded into Bandstand as needed (as per your style or midi file). It is relatively fast but not instantly as in your Soundfont Wavetables. In addition, you can create Presets which include the instruments you want loaded but I think this would only include those in the 16 tracks. Also setting the buffers for the disk streaming will determine how fast instruments load as balanced against what your hard drive can handle. So I can't see anywhere where you could load all of the Bandstand instruments into memory as you do with the soundfont wavetables.

I run my system at around 2 to 3 ms (128 samples). This is setup in your soundcard. The lower this number the harder your soundcard and cpu have to work. Anything less than 10 ms is fine.

I am using the most recent version of OMB (version 8) and Jammer Live. It would be nice if Jos Maas could improve on the GUI (function & appearance) and Soundtrek come out with more styles.

May I ask why some of you selected OMB over Live - Styler?

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-27-2005).]

#124904 - 11/27/05 09:31 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Frank: I have an external Firewire 7200 RPM hard drive if needed (that's what I have Colossus loaded on). But I still think loading Bandstand onto a flash drive would be handy.

#124905 - 11/28/05 05:30 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Esh, if you can do that you would be away to the races. The sounds would load instantly (very very close to it)on a flash drive....wow!!! Come to think of it I may take your advice even on my studio/home setup. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-28-2005).]

#124906 - 11/28/05 06:24 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

It is the simplest of things that overwhelm a frail old man.

How do keep the OMB from changing the volume levels when launching the program. While this may be good for cleaning your ears, it is not so good on your equipment and others in the room with you. Any time a program turns up the volume to the highest level is not so good.

Found the answer.

#124907 - 11/28/05 02:42 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I chose OMB over Livestyler because I had problems getting Live Styler to play piano arpeggio's correctly in some of the styles. (It was one of the earlier versions.) By this stage I'd gotten used to OMB, so I didn't bother to change back. Plus I do a lot of fiddling round with style editing/creating, so it's easier to just stick with the one program, omb.

It is a real pity Soundtrek don't have a lot more styles available. I really like Jammer Live. It's so straifgt forward to use. The new version Jammer 6 allows style creation from midifiles. Haven't tried it yet. Supposedly these styles can be used in Jammer Live, but not in their entirety.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]
I am using the most recent version of OMB (version 8) and Jammer Live. It would be nice if Jos Maas could improve on the GUI (function & appearance) and Soundtrek come out with more styles.

May I ask why some of you selected OMB over Live - Styler?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124908 - 11/28/05 07:19 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Rikki, you're absolutely correct that with a few more styles Jammer Live would have it made. Some time ago I purchased all the Band & Drum Styles for Jammer Pro. These work with Jammer Live with some effort. Jammer Live sounds very good indeed with Bandstand.

I am still having trouble with OMB and the GM vs XG Standard .... there are just to many pianos playing. It is just a matter of time and I will get it. OMB does not like more than one drum kit in the GM mode (which I think is the standard) and hence does not change the drum kits in Bandstand when you move from style to style. If I use the XG Mode the drum part works but then I end up with pianos playing bass.....oh so sad. You know what I will fix this to....as he says with some fear of failure!!!

If only Live - Styler would solve the midi loops problem...or is Bandstand's problem???

#124909 - 11/28/05 09:29 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
maybe Bandstand doesn't like Bank Changes
goto Stylemaker page press the "ctrls" button
(just under Time sig & tempo. top right hand side) and check the MSB & LSB. I think MSB 32 LSB 00 for GM?? Haven't worked with GM for so long I can't remember.
While you're about it, check & make sure the program changes are there also.

Maybe there's too much info flooding through.

If you like, send me one of the styles you're having a problem with, and I'll check it out for you. Maybe there's a simple solution.
Can you also let me know what note number the drums start & finish on ie c3 up to b6 whatever. I'm hoping they may have gm2 mapping same as hypercanvas?? also if you can recognize what drums they are.

pop style in a zipfolder if you do, my outlook express knocks back certain things
sjking@bigpond.net.au

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

I am still having trouble with OMB and the GM vs XG Standard .... there are just to many pianos playing. It is just a matter of time and I will get it. OMB does not like more than one drum kit in the GM mode (which I think is the standard) and hence does not change the drum kits in Bandstand when you move from style to style. If I use the XG Mode the drum part works but then I end up with pianos playing bass.....oh so sad. You know what I will fix this to....as he says with some fear of failure!!!

If only Live - Styler would solve the midi loops problem...or is Bandstand's problem???

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online