SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#124880 - 11/23/05 08:06 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA

I wanted to show you guys this if you haven't seen it already. This is the Infinty Music Systems X1 ... a heavy 88-note custom controller that can be purchased with a computer inside ala the Open Labs Neko, or as a do-it-yourself ATX-compatible shell. Very cool... even Neko doesn't come as an 88-note yet though I'm hopeful Open Labs will have one at NAMM. The X1 could stand a few more control options but it does have plenty of real estate for outboard devices. I'm not ready to buy one yet (I do like the flame model though) but it's a omen of things to come.

When I think of what Yamaha has at it's disposal with Steinberg alone, including Halion and VSTi's like The Grand, Virtual Guitarist, drum programs, plus V-Stand as an interface and virtual instrument rack... well, it's easy to imagine Yamaha coming out with an obvious VST keyboard. That's not counting whatever else they've acquired - since Kontact is becoming a standard interface then that's probably what Yamaha has it eye on. And Yamaha may be ready to answer the Korg OASYS with an open-system mega-instrument. I think something is coming.

Back to Bandstand: it makes sense that Bandstand would be a slight quality step below NI's other sample programs because they want to sell those too. Had to be a few sacrifices to accomodate fast loads over what beasts like Colossus take. But at 2 GB it still has more actual sample data than any other GM softsynth program I'm aware of. The fact that BS accepts program changes was the big factor for me... I'm getting it.

#124881 - 11/23/05 08:20 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Esh, you are finding all these interesting things. It is getting very close to the viable options you and others have been talking about.

#124882 - 11/25/05 06:10 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

I just tried a Live - Styler Beta 9 version and that seems to get rid of distortion and/or hanging notes between it and Bandstand. I now need to convert the Yamaha Styles to GM format. What is the best way to do this:

OMB & how you do it?
Michael P. Bedesem's programs, e.g., MidiPlayer?
Cakewalk with CASMEdit?

The styles converted from other keyboards to Yamaha work fine. So it is just the Yamaha styles which need extra work, i.e., conversion to GM. Drums can be found on more than just on Channels 9 & 10, e.g., Channel 2 Cymbal Crash, etc. It would not be enough to deal with just channels 9 and 10.

In addition, I have placed an order for Garritan's Jazz & Big Band Library. I am still sitting on the fence concerning NI's Akoustic Pianos....I have many very good pianos. This leaves me looking for high (very high quality) guitars (Real Guitars?) and saxophones (Garritans JABB???). Once I have this all settled I will have a very high quality studio setup and a setup which would work well in a high class night club or book library/coffee shop setting.

After this it is waiting for an empty keyboard shell with all the right buttons and for me to install the OS plus all my favorite music software....say in 3 years???

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-25-2005).]

#124883 - 11/25/05 07:40 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
You are miles ahead of me. I am going to have to pick-up the pace. I have left that project for a while. (I get that way when I get frustrated). My plan is to try again this weekend. I want to try and use SGM180 as my lead voices, but this has to be loaded in memory, not on my soundblaster card as it may be too big.
I am quite happy with Synergi GS for accompaniment, but need lead voices. I need to find out how to put it all together on the pc using MIDI yoke, OMB, a wrapper, etc.
If i can get this to actually work then I could plug in Bandstand for my lead voices.
Starkeeper

#124884 - 11/25/05 07:55 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#124885 - 11/25/05 10:26 AM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
.......I'm getting it.

Esh,
I had to do a double-take at your post after I saw the site offering the super duper military grade keyboard for "$9,999 monitor not included" to realise you were actually talking about Bandstand.

#124886 - 11/25/05 02:17 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Sorry... I'm getting Bandstand, not an X1. I like the X1 but I think it weighs too much for live use (68 lbs). I was mostly showing it as an example of what's new and what's to come. I love the idea of a keyboard shell that we can add our own components to or change as desired. Bet we see more like it soon.

#124887 - 11/25/05 02:30 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
I think a few of us regulars are now using
Forte Ensemble,
with livesynth pro, midiyoke etc etc . I think AJ may have even swapped over from chainer or whatever he was using?? ( I could be wrong).
Only reason I'm suggesting at looking at Forte is, that maybe we would be of more help to you?? Personally I've never bothered using any others. There is a demo. http://www.brainspawn.com/products/

I have the same problem when I try and using my Audigy, I can only load up to 140mb font in my 512mb memory, wheras using Forte , livesynth pro etc I can load a much bigger font.
Reason why I decided to edit. I can use good quality large samples for instruments that are used regularly in the styles, and just use small samples (or even leave them out for instruments that are never used.)
I haven't had too many bagpipes or dogs barking or car crash effects pop up in styles , yet these voices exist in some of the gm/gs fonts. So I figure why bother having them in my omb font , I can always add the sound back in if required.

How large a font can you load into your soundcard??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124888 - 11/25/05 02:41 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I haven't bothered with the others, mainly because OMB can do it.
I first came across psr styles with my 9000pro 3, 4 years ago. Didn't have a clue what a casm was. None of my old software sequencers worked with casm's.
Then when OMB came out I didn't have to worry about it. I was able to edit my styles in it.
One of the others may do a better job, I really don't know.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]
OMB & how you do it?
Michael P. Bedesem's programs, e.g., MidiPlayer?
Cakewalk with CASMEdit?

The styles converted from other keyboards to Yamaha work fine. So it is just the Yamaha styles which need extra work, i.e., conversion to GM. Drums can be found on more than just on Channels 9 & 10, e.g., Channel 2 Cymbal Crash, etc. It would not be enough to deal with just channels 9 and 10.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#124889 - 11/25/05 07:26 PM Re: NI Bandstand & flr2006

Rikki, I think I know how to do it in OMB but could you give a quick once over in point form how to convert to GM. Is it as simple as setting your target (soundcard or synth) to GM within OMB and calling up a Yamaha Style? And then if necessary change the various instruments within a drumkit?

I am still having some difficulties with Bandstand and Live - Styler. Live - Styler occasionaly just vanishes from the screen....oh, oh, oh... It is especially bad when I setup Live - Styler for VST operation with ASIO. Live - Styler is still in beta form so I will be in contact with the developer about this. Also for some reason my computer hits the 100% usage when Bandstand loads instruments. It did not do this when I first installed it. So there must be something I must have done to cause this, e.g., changing buffers and so on.

I will work at getting this to operate properly. It has the potential for a very good system.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online