SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#124779 - 11/27/03 04:53 AM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Weight and cost (I wasn't booking at the time) are what convinced me to return a Kurzweil PC 88. I'm still kicking myself over that one. I then went out and bought an Alesis Q8; I put up with the added weight for a while, but didn't like the feel or sound, so I sold it. I still miss the PC88, but now I console myself with a Mark 5 Grand which plays and sounds just like it - it's 4x as heavy, but I don't move it from the living room. (For sale, one Kurzweil Mark5 Grand).

#124780 - 11/27/03 12:14 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
YamBox Offline

Loc: Finland
Just popped in my mind, if future kb´s would get really light, maby even under 10lbs, first thing what comes to mind it would start hopping real badly on even little unstable stand. Like x-stands.

Of course there should then be some sort of screws or something to lock the kb on the stand but I thing it would anyway be quite unstable without having some extra weight on the stand. What do you think?

#124781 - 11/27/03 05:11 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, the keyboard of the future will probably be something along the lines of something I just saw in a catalot for computer supplies. It was a computer keyboard that was made of rubber and just rolled up like an old newspaper. All the keypads were rubber, the entire board was rubber and it had a thin wire that went to the computer.

The same thing could be done with keyboards, the difference being the guts of the board would be in a small module that would be completely separate. Who knows, you may soon be packing your keyboard around in a small tube. Then, when you get to the job, you just unroll the board, plug it into the module and you're ready to go.

The only drawback is the folks that were always complaining about the keys feel would go completely bonkers.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124782 - 11/27/03 06:24 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
gary,just a thought, if what you say happens,just think if you wacked someone around the head as in rolled newspaper,it could sound like a full orchestra tuning up,ha,mike

#124783 - 11/27/03 08:25 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The same thing could be done with keyboards, the difference being the guts of the board would be in a small module that would be completely separate. Who knows, you may soon be packing your keyboard around in a small tube. Then, when you get to the job, you just unroll the board, plug it into the module and you're ready to go.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary, I told you to quit guzzlin' that Kick a Poo Juice. Too much and your ears will start to turn green and fall off. Then how 'ya gonna even hear that rolled up newspaper Keyboard you're talking about?!?!?
Are you sure that catalog wasn't a comic book you saw that thing in? I don't think it will fly. There's too many Keyboard purists around wanting the traditional method of playing, ie., standard Keys on a solid one piece unit with a Key bed and a 'frame' to place the Keybed in. You know, like a regular Piano only portable, ie., a "Keyboard".

Once the Wheel was invented it has basically stood the test of time and it sure would be hard to improve upon its design. I doubt we'll ever start making square wheels in the near future for our vehicles or anything else for that matter. The same could be said of the Keyboard design IMO. I think their will be very slimed down versions of the Keyboards we see today. That is; Keyboards that are made of high tech materials that will make them 'much' lighter than they are today. Also the actual electronic Hardware or 'guts' if you will, will be made of smaller and smaller 'parts' so you won't need the big 'frames' that they are encased in now. But I think the rolled up newspaper thing is pretty far fetched IMO. - Stranger things have happened though.

I take it back. You didn't see it in a comic book Gary, you probably saw it in the National Enquirer at the grocery stand.

Uh oh! Here comes the trekkies who are gonna tell me it WILL fly... I'm outta here!!!

Best regards,
Mike

#124784 - 11/28/03 07:42 AM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
YamBox Offline

Damn!! If it really gets to rubber kb´s... Then people with rubberallergies would really suffer near you when playing or worse if you self had the allergie..

Would it be hell or what..??

#124785 - 11/28/03 11:09 AM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Why not put a virtual keyboard on a laptop touchscreen? Use softsynths and away you go. Or maybe have a dedicated screen/synth, ala the new MusicPad Pro from Free Hand. It could be as long as you wanted it and would be able to show the softsynth controls above the keyboard. Watch out for what you ask, some inventor will make it come true.

#124786 - 11/28/03 12:19 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I figured you guys would think I just fell off the turnip truck and hit my head on a hard object, so I guess you'll have to look closely at this before you belive it.

Cheers from the looney bin,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 11-28-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124787 - 11/28/03 01:03 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
YamBox Offline

Gary,

I was quite sure you had hit your head REAL bad..

Seriosly it does not look as bad as I thought. Maby it could work, after a great deal of development of course...

But still... It would not be the same

#124788 - 11/28/03 02:19 PM Re: Complaints about keyboards weight...
Heyoop Offline

Everybody, just wait. I am conceptualizing a keyboard case with built in stand made of aluminum with wheels and a scissor lift. So matter how heavy the keyboard there will bew no problem lugging them around. There's a lot of cool ideas coming out now. Like a dolly, a truck, and a ladder in one. As far as lift, whick one you guys preferred, the scissor lift or the hydraulic lift base on jack that we use to change our tire. Guys, just be patient ant you will see another cool product. - Dan

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online